Eurofurence Information > Feedback

[EF19] Medics Feedback

<< < (2/2)

Jumpy:

--- Quote from: Thygrrr on 27.08.2013, 17:58:57 ---Idea: Some kind of "uniform", e.g. a mostly bright white shirt or vest that shows artwork similar to the badges (a including a Red Cross, Aeskulap's Staff or similar insignia and the word "MEDIC" would really help). Added bonus: con attendees will be able to spot a medic from across the hall when they're running for help.

--- End quote ---

I will have to bring this idea up with René. If we get some nice artwork for it, it might even be a great motivation gift.

I would however leave it up to our medics team to decide whether this is actually a good idea, and how often they'd like to wear them if so.

--- Quote from: Thygrrr on 27.08.2013, 17:58:57 ---Maybe set up a medic booth or desk in the lobby and have volunteers on rotation there (could even be security stewards, just that someone is there with a radio). Alternatively, if staffing the booth is too much of a logistical burden, set up an emergency phone just like in the Maritim, but it still shouldn't be upstairs and literally around five corners to reach.

--- End quote ---

We tried some of that at earlier conventions. It did not work so well for various reasons (phone reception limitations, not all hotels/hostels had a single central space like the maritim lobby, blocks sorely needed resources for Security and Medics team, ...)

We might still have kept it, but here's the thing: It actually wastes time to run through the lobby to a booth, and if it's a severe situation you might be endangering other attendees, especially fursuiters, by understandably being in an extreme hurry.

The idea is that if anyone notices a severe medical problem they are supposed to shout "Medic" / "Sanitäter" very loudly. There are enough security and other staffers on call everywhere at the convention, most of them carry a radio and every one of them can call in medics in a matter of seconds. You'll actually get help faster that way.

As you say yourself, our medics team is fast to respond, because there are always some of them on duty in a central spot (at the Maritim this meant the lobby). If one team gets called, they immediately alert the others to take over this on-duty role.

Their office is in a remote location by their choice, as it's not intended as a public go-to spot, but rather a refuge to take patients to who need a quiet place.

Thygrrr:
Ok, I get the seclusion aspect, but having a treatment/team/supply room in addition to a visible first contact booth seems like the logical conclusion.

If the medics are overburdened with trivial requests I think that is difficult to alleviate but I also think that's a "distance" issue, meaning some attendees see the medics more as buddies than as officials performing a vital convention function. An "uniform" of sorts can help there. I believe Gyroplast and Dhary wear their black badass outfits not only for fashion reasons either while functioning as security. It really is an authority booster. :)

I really don't want to put too much criticism out in the open (because it might be unjustified or misunderstandable) so I contacted Dhary directly now and will run some things by him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version