Eurofurence Information > Feedback

EF20 Art Show feedback for artists

(1/5) > >>

Tinka:
I've now bought a few items from both EF19 and EF20 Art Show auctions and have a few things to say to artists..

Generally I don't like buying prints, even limited ones. I know digital art needs to be printed anyway so for digital artists its a bummer - but its just not very nice buying an expensive 'limited print 1/1' of size A or on material B - when next year the same artist puts the same art up on the auction again in a different size or format. Might as well buy the poster of it for 10 eur next year ;3

Original traditional art has that exclusive feeling to it and the personal connection that you get to have the actual piece of canvas or material and ink that the artist has held in his or hands. Prints just don't have that feeling. And even if you see the art somewhere printed you know that you have the original :3

Frame your art nicely. Piece of paper without a frame looks really bad on the auction wall - whereas a good frame with the right color and right spacing can actually become part of the artwork by accentuating the piece (and a terrible frame ruin its look) >:3

I buy the art for the art - not the frame. BUT and this is a big but - if you want to appreciate your buyers, make them love you and come back for more next year - it helps a lot when the art I've bought has a frame I can actually hang from my wall - maybe for years. If its substandard I have to go through the bother and expense of re-framing the piece.

A good frame with a glass will protect your art when I transport it in my luggage back home - but if you are bringing art to the auction in your own packaging then please, please leave the packaging at the auction so that buyer can re-wrap it. Especially for larger pieces.

Thank you :3

Fafnir Kristensen:
that would be ok if people realized how much a nice frame cost. sometime the starting bid value doesnt even cover the cost of the frame (the usual incentive undervalued starting bid problem) and seeing the art they did go away for a misery certainly doesnt motivate them to put nice costly frame

Schorse:
I was about to write the same about the prints. And it makes me wonder why some of them go for enormous amounts of money, because it's "only" a better quality poster.

Fafnir Kristensen:

--- Quote from: Schorse on 02.09.2014, 23:03:26 ---I was about to write the same about the prints. And it makes me wonder why some of them go for enormous amounts of money, because it's "only" a better quality poster.

--- End quote ---

depends how it was printed.

if it's the usual print on caneva, then yes Im not really interested, especially if it is 1 of 5 or whatever number greater than 1.

but when it's, for example, printed on glass (for example Alector's two print this year) or metal or things like that, then it is more interesting

Cheetah:

--- Quote from: Schorse on 02.09.2014, 23:03:26 ---I was about to write the same about the prints. And it makes me wonder why some of them go for enormous amounts of money, because it's "only" a better quality poster.

--- End quote ---

In an auction situation, a lot of social factors come into play - that's why prices are so unpredictable, and only very loosely related to objective qualities. Personal preferences, bidder competition, perceived scarcity - it often does not always make any objective sense at all. It has a big game aspect to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version