Eurofurence Information > Feedback

EF20 Art Show feedback for artists

<< < (3/5) > >>

Fafnir Kristensen:

--- Quote from: Bezel on 04.09.2014, 19:39:45 ---I loved the art show this year - such an array of talent ! I managed to rack up quite an impressive bill in the auction - my bank hates me ;D

Anyway, two quick points to bring up...

Firstly - size. Please remember that many people will be flying home and have to get the artwork into their bags. There may be a wonderful, original, one of a kind, massively detailed, perfectly balanced, never-to-be-repeated piece, but if I can't get it into my suitcase, I can't bid on it.

Secondly - please, never use glass in a frame. If you're transporting it by car, it's fine, but for those of us from further abroad, I personally don't want to have to be picking shards of glass out of my socks for the next week (let alone the damage that could be caused to the artwork itself) if the worst happened at the airport. Many plastics are perfectly good substitutes - and if I really want glass, I can always get a piece of glass cut to size at minimal cost).

I suspect these points aren't normally a problem as EF draws people from far and wide, many of whom won't be flying - I just thought I'd mention them on behalf of those of us who do :)

Keep those brushes and styluses (styli ?) whizzing - you're all awesome ! :D

--- End quote ---

err, what? artists should do small pieces because you cant fit it in your luggage?
the fuck, seriously, get real. if the art is too large, bad luck to you, really.

and if you see a piece you really want and you cant take it with you, seek someone else traveling by car who goes to the same area than you (plenty of people traveling by car from pretty much any european country) or get a package at a post office, wrap in bubblewrap and ship as fragile, of course it's not free, but it's doable...

beside, glass is not a problem if you correctly wrap the frame and, of course, have a rigid luggage.

Bezel:

--- Quote from: Fafnir Kristensen on 04.09.2014, 23:18:50 ---err, what? artists should do small pieces because you cant fit it in your luggage?
the fuck, seriously, get real. if the art is too large, bad luck to you, really.

and if you see a piece you really want and you cant take it with you, seek someone else traveling by car who goes to the same area than you (plenty of people traveling by car from pretty much any european country) or get a package at a post office, wrap in bubblewrap and ship as fragile, of course it's not free, but it's doable...

beside, glass is not a problem if you correctly wrap the frame and, of course, have a rigid luggage.

--- End quote ---

No, I think you've misunderstood my post. At no point did I request artists should change the size of their art - that's a decision entirely for them to make, and suggesting they should all "do small pieces so I can get them in my luggage" is both stupid and conceited - my apologies to you if you misunderstood this. The point I was trying to make was that size is a limiting factor for many travellers and that large pieces are therefore being aimed at an inherently smaller market of potential buyers.

As regards getting a friend with a car to take it - sure - if they're willing, if they have space and if you live anywhere near them. However those from, say, the USA or Australia may have a problem finding someone with a car who can drive it back for them ;) Based on previous experience, I'd personally (note - I say personally !) be highly reluctant to ship anything fragile and valuable by post.

Glass might not be a problem if you have the space to multi-wrap it in something that can cushion it - however, plastic requires less cushioning and is inherently safer for transport.

Cheetah:

--- Quote from: Fafnir Kristensen on 04.09.2014, 23:18:50 ---the fuck, seriously, get real. if the art is too large, bad luck to you, really.

--- End quote ---

Moderator warning: Please watch your wording, and stay polite.

Cairyn:
Large format art is generally an issue for overseas buyers / plane travelling. Not just glass frames (although these are the most problematic since broken glass may destroy other items in your luggage), but also large canvas prints (may come apart when twisted), wooden frames even without glass, perhaps even those heavy alu-dibond prints. But ultimately that is something the buyer has to live with, and to take into account when buying.

If the frame is not essential for the presentation of the art, it may be wisest to leave it behind and transport the art in a cardboard roll, completely reframing it at home. It may also be possible to take apart a frame, leaving only the glass part behind, for transportation. (Measure the glass exactly for getting a perfect match at home.) Hardshell cases are recommendable in any case. There are options, even if they may not be cheap.

The Art Show has the option for artists to leave the packaging for the buyer, however, this is not an obligation, nor is this packaging guaranteed to be stable enough for airplane manhandling.

Fafnir Kristensen:
sorry, I overreacted  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version