Queues and Queuing: The Who, The Why, The Where and the When

<< < (4/10) > >>

Tinka:

--- Quote from: Cheetah on 03.09.2014, 12:14:53 ---
--- Quote from: Tinka on 03.09.2014, 11:46:11 ---The Queueing for Pawpet Show

--- End quote ---

*sigh*

--- End quote ---

No worries. I would've queued until dawn and beyond to see the show *HUGS* ! ^^'/

Marcan:
First of all, it's not the queue location we should be focusing on but running events as close to planned schedule as possible (referring to pawpet show obviously). THEN comes the queue. Let's hope next year there won't be such a need for queues altogether :3

I managed to snag a place for pawpet show in first row, entered just after the queue and found Dhary shouting "security team is giving up their seats on the right side". Also quite a few people from first five rows in the middle were absent, I asked and was told that once the seating ends I can move there. Again, Dhary said one more free seat in first row is available - nobody replied :P Guys, keep your eyes peeled during events ;)

Runo:

--- Quote from: Tinka on 03.09.2014, 11:46:11 ---[As the night closed in, camp fires where lit, and then quickly extinguished by panicking security staff, afraid it would attract beast of the night (and also something about fire-safety)...

--- End quote ---

Didn't your momma tell you never to go out there without a proper Light? Only those will protect you in the dark of the night!

Praised be the Gods of the Holy Mountain!

Tsanawo:

--- Quote from: Marcan on 03.09.2014, 13:00:06 ---First of all, it's not the queue location we should be focusing on but running events as close to planned schedule as possible (referring to pawpet show obviously). THEN comes the queue. Let's hope next year there won't be such a need for queues altogether :3
--- End quote ---
Queues will happen, even if we would've managed to start on time with the PawPetShow, there still would've been a queue. Same with the other events that managed to get one.

@Runo: As it was and always will be!

Bezel:

--- Quote from: Lightfox on 03.09.2014, 00:51:16 ---This has probably been said already, but given how big the con has become, and how large some queues can be now, how about planning their management in advance? Like for instance, physically tracing a path using small pillars and strips, the way they do it in theme parks. This would make queues more ordered and easier to manage.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, queues in cons differ from theme parks in a couple of important ways.

Firstly, theme parks can have dedicated areas constantly set aside for queues. They're out of the way and no-one cares if there are people in the queue or not. At cons, we generally don't have the space for queues to be in place permanently and we also can't obstruct fire doors, entrances, exits, lifts, corridors etc. so they're generally set up only when needed and we try to route people where they won't obstruct any of the above. Of course, this is a learning process and we'll try and have things better organised for next year :)

Secondly, theme parks also have massive budgets for barriers etc. You'd be surprised just how much those tensa barriers cost, and the hotel only has a limited supply available - you may have noticed a lot of the queues were marked out by tape (which the con had bought) and chairs which we'd... borrowed... from the hotel ;) We tried our best with what we had :)

--- Quote from: Venture on 03.09.2014, 11:00:26 ---Using matrix signs and / or LCD tv's for croud control is something we do often at our work. Might also help out. Also using EFPrime (which was already used sometimes). Keep it up, I think you all did your best given the circumstances!

--- End quote ---

As I recall, we did try to get EF Prime updated when stage events were going to be delayed. As regards the signs, well anything is possible with enough money... if only we had some ;)

As has been previously mentioned though, security often doesn't get advance notice of delays - we just have to handle them when they occur. Honestly, we'd really prefer if you didn't have to queue - we don't like making you wait in line any more than you like being there :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version