Eurofurence Information > Feedback

Queues and Queuing: The Who, The Why, The Where and the When

<< < (5/10) > >>

dougalwuff:
I think it's time we give up on queuing as the system for the pawpet show. There's too many people and not enough seats, so people try to get there an hour in advance, just to be sure of getting a seat.

Maybe we could sell tickets before the show? 3 euros each from the charity booth? Divided up into sections (E.g. front middle and back) so that people don't feel so much urge to queue early to get good seats? It would make a lot for the charity.

Even if you don't charge money, some form of ticketing would still prevent hour-long queues.

timoran:

--- Quote from: dougalwuff on 04.09.2014, 00:40:44 ---I think it's time we give up on queuing as the system for the pawpet show. There's too many people and not enough seats, so people try to get there an hour in advance, just to be sure of getting a seat.

Maybe we could sell tickets before the show? 3 euros each from the charity booth? Divided up into sections (E.g. front middle and back) so that people don't feel so much urge to queue early to get good seats? It would make a lot for the charity.

Even if you don't charge money, some form of ticketing would still prevent hour-long queues.

--- End quote ---

My hope is that they get the convention hall next year, and if they do there is a lot of space available in the convention center lobby to queue. And if other convention functions exist down there, that convention center lobby will naturally become a gathering space to put less pressure on the tables-and-chairs-filled main lobby!

Heck, with PPS falling at the end of the con, if they really hustle (and as a chair I would really hate to ask people to do that, but) they could vacate all of Convention Center ABCD and that whole huge room could just be seating for the PPS.

The big wildcard is Estrel Convention Center II, which is planned to open "Autumn 2015." If that is open, that creates even more space!

Jorinda:

--- Quote from: dougalwuff on 04.09.2014, 00:40:44 ---Even if you don't charge money, some form of ticketing would still prevent hour-long queues.

--- End quote ---
Or maybe it would just cause hour-long queues at the ticket booth.  :P

Tinka:

--- Quote from: Jorinda on 04.09.2014, 09:38:31 ---
--- Quote from: dougalwuff on 04.09.2014, 00:40:44 ---Even if you don't charge money, some form of ticketing would still prevent hour-long queues.

--- End quote ---
Or maybe it would just cause hour-long queues at the ticket booth.  :P

--- End quote ---

If I may repeat myself - I have devised and patented a Tinka-2000 queueing system which EF can use free of charge. It goes like this:

1. Everyone is asked to join a huge big queue at one time.

2. Security goes thought the queue and hands everyone a blank piece of paper

3. Everyone writes their badge number on it, memorizes their location, and then places the piece of paper on the floor ... and walks off into the bar

4. Ones all the delays and further delays have been announced - and the door are about to finally open - everyone takes their place in the queue and walks in an orderly fashion to the stage :33

Voila ^^'/

Cheetah:

--- Quote from: Tinka on 04.09.2014, 10:37:18 ---4. Ones all the delays and further delays have been announced - and the door are about to finally open - everyone takes their place in the queue and walks in an orderly fashion to the stage :33

--- End quote ---

What you're suggesting is basically this:

The problem with that is, it does not scale. People still need a room to wait in, and there is only one way for 1000 people to enter a room in an orderly fashion: In a line :) So you really don't gain anything. In fact, you'd make it even worse, because by trying to give everyone a defined sequence number in their queue you'd require everyone to cross everyone elses path multiple times trying to get back to their original place in the queue, which is worse than just forming a new queue and getting into the room right away :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version