Eurofurence Information > Feedback

EF24 The elevator drama

<< < (2/5) > >>

timoran:
They should upgrade to a destination entry system such as AC's Westin uses. That will add some efficiency. They probably will be upgrading the elevators very soon anyway to support the new NFC keys and I hope that an upgrade like this is in the works. Of course, modernizing the motor room would also help with reliability.

They can certainly afford it with 1,125 rooms times about €1,000 each they got from us last week.

timoran:

--- Quote from: Ragear on 28.08.2018, 20:17:02 ---with the upcoming works for the new tower I'd bet that the Estrel will put up another 3-4 years till the new tower is complete.

--- End quote ---

I have bad news for you. The floor plans for the Estrel Tower show only 7 elevators that could be available to guests with 3 serving lower floors and 4 serving upper floors, with 50 floors. The Westin Pittsburgh has 26 floors and 5 elevators and they have legendary queues during Anthrocon. So even a decade from now when that beast is finally constucted, there will be too little elevator capacity for our comfort during EF.

Suicune:

--- Quote from: timoran on 28.08.2018, 22:30:08 ---I have bad news for you. The floor plans for the Estrel Tower show only 7 elevators that could be available to guests with 3 serving lower floors and 4 serving upper floors, with 50 floors. The Westin Pittsburgh has 26 floors and 5 elevators and they have legendary queues during Anthrocon. So even a decade from now when that beast is finally constucted, there will be too little elevator capacity for our comfort during EF.

--- End quote ---

Oh god... I just hope these are big then. It also depends on rooms/floor how crowded they'll be though.
But I hope fursuiters and people with certain medical conditions get priority and get rooms in the already existing hotel part, at least it would be nice.

karpour:
I wonder what it was that really pushed the elevators over their limit this year. Someone pointed out that they likely overheated from the constant use and very warm outside temperatures.
I don't know to what extent the hotel did that, but I find it disappointing to blame attendees for abusing elevators. While it can't be ruled out that happened, I think we can safely say that almost all breakdowns were due to the elevators simply not being sufficient for the load.
And that is something that is 100% the hotels' responsibility. If they force people to use elevators by never opening the staircases (unless all elevators break down at once), they better make sure the elevators actually work.

In the Maritim I almost exclusively used the stairs and so did many others, and I would absolutely use them in the Estrel if they finally opened those staircases.

Futeko:
I would personally prefer to use stairs as well, but to the contrary of the Maritim, the staircases at the Estrel are (as far as I know) exclusively emergency exit stairs. It means that for safety (and legal) reasons, you should not use them to go up - because in the case of an emergency, you don't want to slow down the evacuation of people due to groups of other people going up.

As I understand, it's all right to use them to go down though (because then you're anyway in the proper direction of the flow should an emergency arise). But for going up, we have to bear with the elevators :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version