Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Traveling with Fursuit  (Read 25349 times)

KittPhox

Traveling with Fursuit
« on: 15.01.2007, 22:34:19 »

Hi all,

This is really a question for anyone traveling by plane. How do you normally go about traveling with your fursuit? Im trying to work out how to travel with mine without the head being crushed by baggage handlers. Do you use hard boxes, send via post before hand or other methods?

Any replys would be really good as im really worried i have to take a glue gun and a roll of duct tape with me

Tiger_Paws

Re: Traveling with Fursuit
« Reply #1 on: 16.01.2007, 01:13:45 »

use a flight case there not to expensive a simular case witch would fit a head would be a aloy case used to protect a circular saw or a redcord flight case from a dj store might sound like an odd choise but works a treet. you can find lots of hard and flight cases cheap on ebay check it out. Paws

BigBlueFox

• Video Lead
  • Video Team
« Reply #2 on: 16.01.2007, 01:49:42 »

Well, first of all: Check the airline you're travelling with. They should have a list telling you what kind of luggage is allowed, which dimensions, what maximum weight and all that.

Then get a case that's as large as can be, so you don't exceed the limitations of the airlines. Sometimes they'll charge you for oversized luggage, and that's not cheap.

A good recommendation are sturdy cases made of aluminum or thin steel, which are often used by military, red cross and stuff. Depending on how the fursuit is constructed (foam head without fragile parts), a duffle bag will suffice, but I personally don't trust these things.

You can get steel or aluminum cases at eBay, they're pretty cheap there.

These are typical examples of boxes used by the German military and Red Cross. I bet that if you look closely, you'll find stuff like that on eBay.

And I suggest you NOT to get regular flight cases. You don't want to know how the airport personal treats your luggage. The wooden construction may break easily, and a flightcase large enough for you to put a fursuit head inside is gonna be way to overpriced.
Official Something

Tiger_Paws

« Reply #3 on: 16.01.2007, 12:46:34 »

Oh Kittphox i just rememberd. do you know Jacobs antiques next to Cardiff central station? they have lots of second hand stuff and a millitary section next time your over check it out might find a bargan in there.

haha Can you imagine 50 0r so brits craming in the airport with all these ex-explosive cases and other military gear heading for germany. Think theres a war going on security will be all over us

KennoFox

« Reply #4 on: 16.01.2007, 13:16:14 »

its really the head and feetpaws that i need to look after but i have found away, i'm putting it in a cardboard box which will be kept in my hardcase suitecase, its pretty light as well so i can add more stuff in there if needed

njhcerebus01

• don't push it
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: 25.01.2007, 16:34:39 »

i just carry mine on teh plane in a long bag that will have all my stuff and i just put it on the over head seat and it will be safe here  :)

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 25.01.2007, 18:49:15 »

i just carry mine on teh plane in a long bag that will have all my stuff and i just put it on the over head seat and it will be safe here  :)

Make sure the airline will allow it. Most airlines have gone REALLY paranoid over hand luggage restrictions lately.
yours,

Cheetah

njhcerebus01

• don't push it
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: 26.01.2007, 23:00:04 »

i think BA might allow one hand luggage but if they don't well i have to tell them i have too because i got no other way becuae am only bringing 2 bags the cloths one can go with the rest of the luggage while my fursuit bck won't and they don't let me on with it well i want to them make it and if they mess up on it well i sue them

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 26.01.2007, 23:38:47 »

i think BA might allow one hand luggage but if they don't well i have to tell them i have too because i got no other way becuae am only bringing 2 bags the cloths one can go with the rest of the luggage while my fursuit bck won't and they don't let me on with it well i want to them make it and if they mess up on it well i sue them

You've NEVER had to deal with an airline, did you? :) Currently, BA only allows one piece of hand luggage, maximum size 56x45x25cm (22x18x10in), maximum weight 6kg. If your luggage doesn't meet those criteria, they will not let you go on board. And if you tell them you're going to sue ... they'll laught at you, and say "yes please", and serve the next customer in line :) After all it's all in their Terms of Service that you agree to when you buy the ticket.

So make sure to ask the airline first, if your hand luggage is within allowance.

« Last Edit: 26.01.2007, 23:45:23 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah

njhcerebus01

• don't push it
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: 27.01.2007, 12:16:27 »

my goal becomes clear get a smaller bag to for my head and stuff it withhand paws and etc in it! because all my fursuit won't be that heavy maybe less or just above 2kg

klayman44

« Reply #10 on: 01.02.2007, 08:56:20 »

yeah, i can see that happen now!

whitewulfe

« Reply #11 on: 14.02.2007, 00:40:55 »

To ressurect this old thread...  Any suggestions for transporting a suit on a transatlantic flight via British Airways, especially given their new restriction on transatlantic flights (aka 23kg/50lbs now instead of 70lbs)...  Although the old weighs will still be grandfathered in for several more months, I'm wondering about something that'll fit a full suit and withstand the abuses of ATS and various other luggage handling companies...

Reason why I ask?  Grandfathered weights won't be accepted after the Masters of Hardcore event in Dortmund in october. >.>

BigBlueFox

• Video Lead
  • Video Team
« Reply #12 on: 14.02.2007, 08:46:23 »

Only possible solution? Change airlines. It's what I'm gonna do. BA used to be my favourite airline, but since they began ripping off travellers (Or course only World Travellers -- First Class and Business Class won't loose a single of their benefits) they're as good as dead for me.

I hear Star Alliance isn't the worst choice out there...
Official Something

whitewulfe

« Reply #13 on: 14.02.2007, 12:17:39 »

Only possible solution? Change airlines. It's what I'm gonna do. BA used to be my favourite airline, but since they began ripping off travellers (Or course only World Travellers -- First Class and Business Class won't loose a single of their benefits) they're as good as dead for me.

I hear Star Alliance isn't the worst choice out there...

My only choice really for YYC direct to heathrow (code unknown as I haven't looked it up) is BA...  If I go through anyone else, it's minimum 1-2 stops.  Smegging airlines, YYC is pre-clearance for like everywhere!!! *grumbles*  That and everyone else (including the 2+ stopovers) charges easily $200 CAD more round trip for YYC->Heathrow->AMS (that and nobody else offers a free stopover ticket in london, I wanna see Exile!  (And not pay $70-100 for a ticket to see Ministry of Sound, that was a bloody joke on new year's here >.>)).  Reason why I was contemplating BA is because of that stopover, and I really wouldn't mind returning the favour a spar started (aka he came over here, enduring a 26 hour road trip after a 14 hour flight to visit)

My options are Air Canada (ewwww), Lufthansa or nwa, and those are 1 or 2 stops, stopping in Minneapolis or Frankfurt. >.>

Air Canada allows.... 23kg/50lbs, however for $35 CAD they allow 32kg/70lbs
Lufthansa allows... 23kg/50lbs, however first class allows 32kg/70lbs

But yeah, with that first class part, I know all about that... Thankfully, we've got Westjet here for domestic...  Too bad they don't fly to europe (yet)

I'd simply consider cargo for shipping a suit out, however I kind of like the whole idea of taking it with me for free instead of $100-150 CAD or so each way ~_^
« Last Edit: 14.02.2007, 12:19:28 by whitewulfe »

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 14.02.2007, 14:16:15 »

I can only second what BBF said. If it at all possible, you should avoid BA, and especially Heathrow Airport. Since they went completely overboard with baggage screening paranoia, they _consistently_ fail to transfer luggage to connecting flights. If you change planes in Heathrow, it's very likely your luggage will arrive with a different plane one or two days later, unless you travel first class.

The reason is that even transit luggage that never leaves the area is screened TWICE during transit, and most of the time, your connecting flight has already left (including you on board) when your luggage is still waiting in a queue somewhere in the Heathrow baggage dispatch.

My friends and me will all be avoiding BA and Heathrow in the future whenever there is an alternative. We've been screwed by them so many times, it's not funny any more.
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up