Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Train travel General Discussion  (Read 8830 times)

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
Train travel General Discussion
« on: 24.01.2007, 20:37:40 »

Can we please keep this EF-Related?
Oh, shush and get the travel web page up and running, or I'll renarrate the story about EF9, the Czech Gestapo and my experiences with Ameropa in all its painful details.  ;D
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Schneelocke

« Reply #1 on: 24.01.2007, 21:03:17 »

How are questions/discussions regarding train travel to/from Eurofurence not EF-related? o.o

Tungro

• Otters Everywhere!
    • The Otterholt
« Reply #2 on: 25.01.2007, 00:41:42 »

How are questions/discussions regarding train travel to/from Eurofurence not EF-related? o.o
Indeed, I think it's very EF related as people need to GET to EF somehow! And seeing as a lot of people don't know the ins and outs of the Deutsche Bahn it's useful to discuss it in the forums and also to have those knowledgeable in this area to share their knowledge with others.

And I'm sure you'd rather have people saving money on their transport so they spend more money at the actual con!  ;)
--
Head of Registration for ConFuzzled
(though my opinions are my own!)

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #3 on: 25.01.2007, 01:09:56 »

This thread turned into a discussion about German and British railway ticket pricing in general, which is indeed off-topic here and better taken to some railway forum.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Tungro

• Otters Everywhere!
    • The Otterholt
« Reply #4 on: 25.01.2007, 01:30:31 »

I again disagree. At no point has there been any in-depth discussion on the comparison between the British and German ticketing systems. In fact, the only comments to the British system have been one-liners, which I quote here:

It has to be said that German ticketing makes ours look simple at times!

FWIW, try getting a journey from Hull to Heathrow on Daypex tickets. That makes German ticketing look mild in comparison.

Whaaaaat? We've only got something like 150 different ticket types and 100 odd pages that detail the restrictions that go with them. ;) Of course, the really fun bit is that things like "Cheap Day Returns" have different time restrictions dependent on the journey.

We don't generally have different fares dependent on what train you get on though. So getting on a local train from, say, London to Bedford costs the same as getting on an InterCity one.

Other than those four lines, the entirety of the rest of the posts has been with regards to the German ticketing system, useful for those attending EF by rail.

I do not wish this thread to turn into flames, so I shall no longer post in here unless it's related to traversing the German railway system, which is what the topic is about after all  :)

I do have a question. When I was at Nürnberg, from the Flughafen to the Hbf we had a Nürnberg local type ticket. For longer journeys, does the validating procedure still apply? If so, where should it be done? At the origin station, on the first train, on all trains, or at the destination station?
--
Head of Registration for ConFuzzled
(though my opinions are my own!)

Schneelocke

« Reply #5 on: 25.01.2007, 02:09:18 »

This thread turned into a discussion about German and British railway ticket pricing in general, which is indeed off-topic here and better taken to some railway forum.

Even if that was true (which it is not), you shouldn't be too anal about it. Everything that was posted here quite clearly and obviously IS on-topic and EF-related, and any heavy-handedness from the staffers/forum admins/mods is not only unnecessary but in fact counterproductive. You do want to foster a relaxed atmosphere, after all, don't you? At least, I can't imagine that you'd prefer a board where everything's paranoid about what they're saying all the time for fear that it might be construed as "off-topic". :P

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
« Reply #6 on: 25.01.2007, 02:12:50 »

I do have a question. When I was at Nürnberg, from the Flughafen to the Hbf we had a Nürnberg local type ticket. For longer journeys, does the validating procedure still apply? If so, where should it be done? At the origin station, on the first train, on all trains, or at the destination station?

Oh, that's because you undertook the journey from the airport to the station by local transport. National rail tickets are never stamped at ticket barriers, they're always cancelled on the train. And FWIW, the whole "Punch your pass before boarding" spiel is slowly being phased out anyways.... if you buy a local ticket from the ticket machine, it usually comes with time and date of purchase printed on it and is valid right away, unless it's something like a five-journey or similar one (makes sense not to cancel these right away), but that depends on whatever city one is in. I believe Nuremberg pre-cancels all singles since 2005 or so. Which means the whole lot of those "Buy ticket there, stamp ticket here" pictures I did for the EF11 and EF12 web site were moot to begin with.  ::)
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
Re: Train travel General Discussion
« Reply #7 on: 25.01.2007, 10:26:07 »

At least, I can't imagine that you'd prefer a board where everything's paranoid about what they're saying all the time for fear that it might be construed as "off-topic". :P

I'm fine with pretty much anything in the "Community" section, but I take the liberty of being anal about the "Eurofurence Information" section :) Which is why I'm going to split threads from time to time when they go from informational to discussional.
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: [1]   Go Up