Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre-ordering train tickets...  (Read 10973 times)

Jynarco

Pre-ordering train tickets...
« on: 06.02.2007, 23:52:16 »

I wasn't sure where to put this, so apologies if it's in the wrong place...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone think it's a bit risky to order train tickets before travelling? I mean, is the cheaper cost worth the risk of having a delayed flight therefore missing the train? And does anyone know how much the ticket may roughly be if I bought the train ticket at Nuremburg?

I spose one could always get a train ticket leavin a fair bit later than the plane lands, to be safe... :P

Thanks!

SouthPaw

Re: Pre-ordering train tickets...
« Reply #1 on: 07.02.2007, 00:42:45 »

For Nürnberg to Suhl, the SparPreis (advance purchase) fares don't apply, so you'd pay around €61 Return whether you buy the ticket now or on the day.

What you can also do is buy a combination of "Länder-Tickets", which give you unlimited travel on everything below an IC train, as well as local public transport, in the chosen area for a day for a fixed price.

For Bavaria (where Nürnberg is) this is currently €27 for up to five people travelling together, or €19 if you're on your own, and for Thüringia (where Suhl is), it's €26.

HTH,

Southie
--
SouthPaw, southie (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk

Jynarco

« Reply #2 on: 07.02.2007, 01:08:11 »

Ahh, curious....thanks!

So would i buy a Bavaria AND Thüringia 'Länder-Ticket' (i.e. pay €46) for the way there, and buy both tickets again on the way back?

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
« Reply #3 on: 07.02.2007, 01:08:19 »

The discounted and restricted fares only are available when you're travelling part of your journey with an InterCity (or above) service. On this specific journey, this applies in some cases, but not in all cases, as it depends a bit on the time of day. Fares for the regional services are always open-access, i.e. you can step on any train.

If you're travelling on a discount ticket and miss the train it's booked for, as long as it is your fault and not the railway's, the difference between the discounted price and the normal fare plus a 15€ service charge will be levied, so at least it is not completely void.
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
« Reply #4 on: 07.02.2007, 01:12:25 »

So would i buy a Bavaria AND Thüringia 'Länder-Ticket' (i.e. pay €46) for the way there, and buy both tickets again on the way back?

For a single person, it would actually be cheaper to buy a standard ticket.

If you're travelling with a group, however, the Länder-Ticket combination would be cheaper, because these are good for up to 5 persons.

A problem you might be facing is that the Thüringen-Ticket cannot be bought in Nuremberg (AFAIK), but they can be pre-ordered and sent to you by mail on the internet.
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Jynarco

« Reply #5 on: 07.02.2007, 01:21:36 »

Well there'll be two of us so i guess the Länder-Ticket would be cheaper..

Soooo, when we're in the Nuremburg area we show the Bavaria ticket, and when we're in the Suhl area we show the Thüringen ticket....right? Sorry, I just wanna be totally clear...

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
« Reply #6 on: 07.02.2007, 01:31:58 »

Soooo, when we're in the Nuremburg area we show the Bavaria ticket, and when we're in the Suhl area we show the Thüringen ticket....right? Sorry, I just wanna be totally clear...

Actually, the state border is between Ebenhausen and Münnerstadt, but my guess is if you just show both tickets to the train guard they'd be able to pick the one they need.  ::)

I've also had a look at the intarwebs, and it seems you can get both the Bayern-Ticket and Thüringen-Ticket from railway ticket machines nationwide now. Of course, whether you'd actually be able to get the Bayern-Ticket at the subway ticket machine at the _airport_ is not clear right now, but even if they don't sell these there, the trip from the airport to the station is just a mere €1.50 or so.  :)

If you're travelling back to Nuremberg on Sunday, by the way, you wouldn't want the two Länder-Tickets, but rather the Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket instead, which costs €33 and is valid for up to five people on either Saturdays or Sundays nationwide.

Here's further links:
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/international/englisch/travelservice/laender_tickets.shtml
http://www.bahn.de/p/view/international/englisch/travelservice/price_tourist.shtml

vegivamp

« Reply #7 on: 07.02.2007, 08:20:43 »

Well there'll be two of us so i guess the Länder-Ticket would be cheaper..

Why not agree on some form of identifying thingie (badge, fur puppet on you backpack, I dunno), and look about when you get at the station or off the plane to see wether there's more furballs about ? If not, nobody's lost anything, but if there are you can get together on the länder things.

Akita Inus

« Reply #8 on: 15.02.2007, 02:01:07 »

My question is, that there will be 2 of in my party, arriving into Frankfurt a day before EF starts, and departing the next day after EF. What would the best option for us when traveling by rail then. Would pre-ordering the tickets or buying them once we arrive into Frankfurt. As it is right now we have no plains for the day before and after EF for site seeing, so things could change. Thanks. -Akita

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
« Reply #9 on: 15.02.2007, 03:12:08 »

My question is, that there will be 2 of in my party, arriving into Frankfurt a day before EF starts, and departing the next day after EF. What would the best option for us when traveling by rail then. Would pre-ordering the tickets or buying them once we arrive into Frankfurt. As it is right now we have no plains for the day before and after EF for site seeing, so things could change. Thanks. -Akita

Whilst there is nothing wrong with buying tickets in Frankfurt, preordering them would give you up to 50% discounted fares if you're willing to tie yourself to travel at a specific date and time.

SouthPaw

« Reply #10 on: 15.02.2007, 23:31:15 »

When I went from Frankfurt to Nuremberg for EF11, myself and a friend got cheap First Class tickets by booking in advance. The discounting was rather odd though, 'cos we got a 50% discount on one ticket, and a 75% discount on the second! (And I think we could have got a 75% discount for another 3 people as well).

However, you are restricted to specific trains if you do that, so if your plane's late and you miss the booked train, you need to buy a new ticket, at full fare. Though we didn't have that problem, as we flew in the day before and stayed in a hotel overnight.

HTH,

Southie
--
SouthPaw, southie (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up