Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: EF 18+  (Read 17661 times)

SupernovA

EF 18+
« on: 12.12.2009, 15:26:01 »

Quote from Q&A topic:

15) will the con still be 18+

Yes, as there will still be liquor at the bar and mature art in the artshow and dealers den.

I don't wanna start a big argument about this, but there was a kid around at EF 15. Howcome that was allowed?
~ When the sun sleeps, it's time to dance in the dark ~

Dhary Montecore

Re: EF 18+
« Reply #1 on: 12.12.2009, 15:40:41 »

Quote from Q&A topic:

15) will the con still be 18+

Yes, as there will still be liquor at the bar and mature art in the artshow and dealers den.

I don't wanna start a big argument about this, but there was a kid around at EF 15. Howcome that was allowed?

It was the kid of one of our most earned staff members. That kid was under permanent and tight surveillance. It never left the side of it's parents and they took care of it. It was a very special exception because otherwise it wouldn't hvae been possible for them to attend.

ADDENDUM: Although it's obvious: No, of course the kid has neither entered the artshow nor the dealersden. All public areas are required to be held at PG rated conditions at all times by the rules of conduct.
« Last Edit: 12.12.2009, 15:45:24 by Dhary Montecore »

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 12.12.2009, 17:18:53 »

Dhary is correct. The problem isn't that we're flat out forbidden to have underage people at the location. The problem is that parents can hold us liable if their 17 year old breaks the law. (Which is what they usually do 24 hours a day when left alone.) We make exceptions for individuals who are irreplacable members of the team, and who we personally know and trust not to sue us just because they can :)
yours,

Cheetah

Cookie

« Reply #3 on: 07.09.2010, 15:12:33 »

I also raised an interrogative eyebrow seeing the kid there (especially when she was at the bar, amongst druken furs).
Well i understand she's the kid of someone from the staff.. but i also bet she's not the ONLY kid the many people from the staff have..

What if next year 5 or 6 people all bring their kids?

EF would turn into a giant nursery..:) :o

One exception would become a rule..:)

"He's nice your uh ... uh.. squirrel?" said a guy talking about my ... ferret !

Fairlight

• Pawpeteer
« Reply #4 on: 07.09.2010, 15:26:50 »

Cookie,

She was under surveillance by Lucy and me when she was at the bar. Apart from some of the dances and safe shows (pawpets, fursuit events), we always kept her to the hotel lobby area, and I noticed quite a few other kids strolling through there during some of the days.

I am sorry if this causes a topic of discussion, but the problem is that we do lack the ability to just leave Zoe back in the UK while both Lucy and myself take the plane to Germany... there's no grandparents or anything to speak of where we could put her for a week. The only alternative to this arrangements would have been for me to not attend Eurofurence, with the implications for events like Banner Brawl and the Pawpet Show.

I don't think this will turn EF into a nursery. And as far as I am aware, I am also the only staffer in this situation (who has a dependant child). Given the hours of work and the cash I put in before and during EF, especially with regards to the Pawpet show, I hope that this little exception can be excused.

Best regards,
 Fairlight!

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 07.09.2010, 15:30:55 »

I'll talk to Kage's parents, too, if they'd rather want to leave their son at home next year ... he only causes trouble on stage :) *wink*
yours,

Cheetah

Fauho

• webvos
« Reply #6 on: 07.09.2010, 15:33:51 »

It was kinda cool that at the same day an article about Eurofurence appeared in the local newspaper, a lot of parents with their kids went to the hotel to check out...giving some enthousiatic fursuiters a lot of fun entertaining those kids and making a good impression on the parents about EF ^^

Cookie

« Reply #7 on: 07.09.2010, 15:37:04 »

No problem, my concern was more about her in fact, being around loud and drunken people.. no place for a kid, IMHO.
"He's nice your uh ... uh.. squirrel?" said a guy talking about my ... ferret !

Fairlight

• Pawpeteer
« Reply #8 on: 07.09.2010, 16:32:58 »

Cookie,

trust me, she's cheekier than Titash, if need be ^.^

But nah, the only time we let her out of our sight is within the lobby and for the occasional dance, and even then she reported back every 5 minutes ^.^ Everything else was strictly off limits to her unless we were with her. And she's a good kid (tho cheeky, as mentioned, heheee), so to our surprise actually sticks to the rules laid out ^.^ (The, the penalty for venturing off would have been watching TV from her room for the rest of the con, so she didn't even think risking anything, hehe.)

That being said.. I think it'd be an interesting experiment to just take her and Kage into a play pen and see who wins. "IN THE LEFT CORNER: ZARIA! Green Bunny of Total Distruction! IN THE RIGHT CORNER: KAGE! Let me tell you a story..... " Poor, poor Kage......

Seeya,
 Fairlight!

Fairlight

• Pawpeteer
« Reply #9 on: 07.09.2010, 16:35:25 »

It was kinda cool that at the same day an article about Eurofurence appeared in the local newspaper, a lot of parents with their kids went to the hotel to check out...giving some enthousiatic fursuiters a lot of fun entertaining those kids and making a good impression on the parents about EF ^^

I think it's absolutely amazing how the kids reacted to all the fuzzies.. and also, how all our fursuiters reacted to the kids. I think both sides had a lot of fun, and, as an added Bonus, it's stuff like that that helps portrait a more positive image of our fandom to the general public.

JBadger

• JBadger
« Reply #10 on: 07.09.2010, 18:01:08 »

I'll talk to Kage's parents, too, if they'd rather want to leave their son at home next year ... he only causes trouble on stage :) *wink*
Damm kids should get off my lawn. (joking)
Contact icq 2686614, AIM sen3398  Twitter JBadger169

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #11 on: 07.09.2010, 18:46:20 »

We don't even have a lawn, you insensitive clod!</slashdot>  ;D
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

drayygon

• The UK communities militant dragon
« Reply #12 on: 07.09.2010, 19:52:10 »

We don't even have a lawn, you insensitive clod!</slashdot>  ;D

There was some grass out back if that counts?

Fairlight

• Pawpeteer
« Reply #13 on: 07.09.2010, 20:14:01 »

By far not enough for a vegetarian dinner party, tho ^.^

drayygon

• The UK communities militant dragon
« Reply #14 on: 07.09.2010, 21:25:57 »

Not a problem for me, I love my meat. And urban hunting is so much fun!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up