Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Meeting a friend in Stralsund, how to get there x3  (Read 8417 times)

Lumo

• KittyFox

Hi ^^
I have a friend in Stralsund, and weve been talking about meeting and maby go shopping and stuff. X3 But he is not avle to leave stralsund for personal reasons, and unfortunately i have not managed to find any good way to get there. I was concidering visiting him after EF, but i csnt find any plains that goes to the Barth airport. Also i hsve had very little success with trains and busses in germany before as few of the people working with busses and trains seem to know english.
Does anyone know how i could get to Stralsund? And also how to get back to norway after viditing there? XD from the looks of it Barth airport dont seem to offer any plains with or without connections to get back to norway.

*hugsies* ^^
Hope ya can help :3

Also: just noticed i write this in the wrong section. Please move it as i cant delete it x3
« Last Edit: 28.07.2013, 14:50:29 by Regandor »
Miff Miff <3

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
Re: Meeting a friend in Stralsund, how to get there x3
« Reply #1 on: 28.07.2013, 15:57:42 »

Germany doesn't have any noteworthy domestic flights apart from feeders to hub airports.

Also, only very few long-distance bus lines.

tl;dr - take the train or don't go at all.
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

soto

« Reply #2 on: 28.07.2013, 16:02:46 »

yeah i've been living in stralsund for a bit. place is slightly out of the way.

basically, yes, what doco said. take the train to stralsund hbf. best options are either from berlin (~2.5hrs) or hamburg (~3hrs).
both of those cities have major airports.

Lumo

• KittyFox
« Reply #3 on: 28.07.2013, 17:34:54 »

Ah ok. Maby i will take the train from berlin schonefeld airport. Though where can i go to get prices and see what time of day the train goes?
Also is it far to walk to the train station?
Miff Miff <3

Nightfox

• Vice Chairman
  • Board of Directors
« Reply #4 on: 28.07.2013, 17:37:02 »

I'd take a rental car....

soto

« Reply #5 on: 28.07.2013, 18:29:44 »

bahn.de should have just about everything you need.

VulpesRex

« Reply #6 on: 29.07.2013, 01:59:17 »

Also i hsve had very little success with trains and busses in germany before as few of the people working with busses and trains seem to know english.

I should like to say that as a Typical Stupid American who cannot learn other languages, I have had little problem finding employees of DB who could help me and provide what I needed - and usually give friendly directions - while using facilities in Frankfurt, Hannover, Koln, Magdeburg, and Suhl.  The single time I had a problem, it was of my own making, when I was imprecise in pronouncing the name  "Magdeburg" - and the ticket agent thought that I meant "Marlberg", and told me that a ticket only cost about 8 Euro (I knew that wasn't right, and explained that I meant the city on the river Elbe.  "Oh, MAG-de-BURG", he said, with more than a hint of irritation - but there had been a long queue of people, and he had been - until me - working furiously, whittling that queue down and getting people on their way.  I sort of disrupted his rhythm).

I have found the DB website - when in English mode - to be easy to follow and use when planning an itinerary, as well as the automatic ticket vending kiosks; and once I had spent a few minutes studying the posted timetables on the platforms, I felt fairly comfortable at finding the train, car ("Wagen"), and seat ("Sitzplatz", which sounds logical; on the ticket ("Fahrkarte"), it is just "Platz") that I wanted (if I had bothered to reserve a seat).

Most of the trains have an alphanumeric display on the carriage bulkheads, which announce the next stop; and there is usually a voice announcement - albeit in German - calling out the stop, as well.  All I had to learn was "Ausstieg Links" (Exit Left) and "Ausstieg Rechts" (Exit Right).

The Travel Center ("Riesenzentrum") in the train station (at least, in the larger ones) will print out a Trip Itinerary ("Reiseverbindung") for you, to go along with your ticket (in fact, it is usually attached to it).  They will print it out in English, if you request it that way.  If not, under "Zeit" (Time), "ab" is departure, "an" is arrival; and "Gleis" is Track or Platform number.

Now - if I can navigate around Germany with just that little information, then you should certainly have no problem! :)

Good Luck, and enjoy the time spent visiting with your friend!  
« Last Edit: 29.07.2013, 02:05:06 by VulpesRex »
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Lumo

• KittyFox
« Reply #7 on: 29.07.2013, 22:59:06 »

Okies and thank you all ^^
This does help alot and i think i have a way of getting there now. ^^
Thank you <3
Miff Miff <3

Tekumseh

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #8 on: 08.08.2013, 11:00:05 »

VulpesRex: well - I don't perceive you as stupid at all :) Your post shows as well - it is pretty accurate. Had to smile though at "The Travel Center ("Riesenzentrum")" A Riesenzentrum would be a gigantic centre (of something) or a centre for giants - correct would be "Reisezentrum" *laughs* pretty close though. Looking forward to meeting you again :)
In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man, as modest stillnesse, and humilitie. (Shakespeare)
Pages: [1]   Go Up