Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Silly question about "performance tools"  (Read 19232 times)

whitewulfe

Silly question about "performance tools"
« on: 14.03.2007, 21:00:33 »

Didn't know what to put as the topic, and hopefully this is in the right sub-forum...  Was wondering what the stance on poi (with short leashes, I sooo wouldn't be bringing by long leashed ones that are literally as long as my arms), staves (bo), and nunchaku are for the con, whether used as an add on or tool when dancing or for simply goofing around outside.  Just wondering if such flow toys are acceptable, or best left at home kind of thing...

Okami

• Garou of the Silent Strider
Re: Silly question about "performance tools"
« Reply #1 on: 14.03.2007, 21:09:09 »

For the nunchakus I can say that german weaponlaw forbids them anyway.
If you hear a wolf howl, you can guess which pain he feels.

Arwooo~!

whitewulfe

« Reply #2 on: 14.03.2007, 21:16:20 »

For the nunchakus I can say that german weaponlaw forbids them anyway.

No exceptions for those into martial arts?  (not like I'd be able to prove I was going out to do a demonstration in Germany anyways, what with me being a green belt in the ICTF/ITF, lol)

And by nunchaku, I mean the streetglow variety. ~_^

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #3 on: 14.03.2007, 21:18:30 »

The most you could probably get away with is glowsticks on a string. :P

whitewulfe

« Reply #4 on: 14.03.2007, 21:20:08 »

The most you could probably get away with is glowsticks on a string. :P

So basically, poi.  They allowing ball or box chain lanyards, or are we stuck with the easily tangled nylon ones?

And now that I think of it, what's the stance on fire poi (if proper safety measures are taken)?

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #5 on: 14.03.2007, 21:21:43 »

No clue, that is something to ask the staff, they would have a lot better idea then I.

whitewulfe

« Reply #6 on: 14.03.2007, 21:23:46 »

No clue, that is something to ask the staff, they would have a lot better idea then I.

Ah, good point there...  I like my ball chain, it only tangles with itself when you store it ^_^  (And my handles are neon yellow, sweetness ^_^)

somewolf

« Reply #7 on: 14.03.2007, 21:32:49 »

No exceptions for those

didn't i just post something on ''german laws apply''   somewhere else here?  *Gggg

if you are unsure if some 'toy' or the like, or some part of a costume is allowed to be worn/used on-site
the way to go is to ask for me at check-in time, since i'm the one who has to approve such things

if security finds some item that they think may be dangerous and this item is not checked-in by me
you will be in "real big trouble (tm)"

so please be so kind to show questionable stuff to me first :-)

*wag*
just
somewolf

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #8 on: 14.03.2007, 21:38:50 »

Didn't know what to put as the topic, and hopefully this is in the right sub-forum...  Was wondering what the stance on poi (with short leashes, I sooo wouldn't be bringing by long leashed ones that are literally as long as my arms), staves (bo), and nunchaku are for the con, whether used as an add on or tool when dancing or for simply goofing around outside.  Just wondering if such flow toys are acceptable, or best left at home kind of thing...

Well, I can give you the weapons rules from last year's con book, which are probably this year's rules too:

Water Pistols and Weapons

Due to the potential damage to property (of the location as well as of attendees), water
guns, silly string and the like are prohibited inside the buildings of the consite. When playing
outside, please do not hit any bystanders. Artists are present. Destroying original art,
sketchbooks, comics, or prints is not considered funny, and will definitely limit your chances
to get a free sketch. Ever.

Please note that all weapons are subject to the (rather strict) German law, from a simple
knife to an elaborate broadsword, especially if they are bladed!

Generally all weapons must be checked by the security staff. If a weapon is part of your
costume, please ask someone of our security staff to approve it. You may be asked to leave
your weapon with security, or in your room, if it is deemed too dangerous to carry around.
Do not engage in swordplay or mock fights on the con premises. Have your weapon
peacebound to show others that you are here to have a good time and not to behead someone,
which would be most inconsiderate.

If you are performing an act on stage (or similar public display) that includes weapons
play, you may be allowed to draw your weapon, but you need to consult your stage manager
beforehand, who will judge the possible danger of the action.

Handle your weapon, even peacebound, with the appropriate care. We do assume that,
if you are carrying a weapon, you know how to behave safely. Remember that even relatively
harmless items like staffs or foamcore swords can cause injuries in a crowded place. Try not
to toy around with them.

-----

As you can see, the words "goofing around" and "weapons" don't mix well ;-)
Nunchakus are indeed forbidden by German law. What are Poi, though?

whitewulfe

« Reply #9 on: 14.03.2007, 21:46:58 »

didn't i just post something on ''german laws apply''   somewhere else here?  *Gggg

if you are unsure if some 'toy' or the like, or some part of a costume is allowed to be worn/used on-site
the way to go is to ask for me at check-in time, since i'm the one who has to approve such things

if security finds some item that they think may be dangerous and this item is not checked-in by me
you will be in "real big trouble (tm)"

so please be so kind to show questionable stuff to me first :-)

Items in question are as follows...
http://flowtoys.com/p_flowpoiduo.html
http://flowtoys.com/p_flowstaff.html (5' bo, collapsible, 2nd from the right in the picture, would more than likely not be used at a dance due to space constrictions, it would be used outside, as something to relax/play with - no play fighting invovled)
Two sets of "trainer" poi, one with leashes around the 12" mark, the other with leashes around the 24-26" mark, both with "kinkless" ball chain
-Possibly- One set of 12-14" length leash box chain monkey fist kevlar wick fire poi (although more than likely not, I don't like the idea of dropping a goldback on fire heads only to have to leave them there due to travel restrictions on planes (combustibles are not allowed, and once the wick has had kerosene put into it, one cannot take them onboard an aircraft legally in either carry-on or checked luggage))

Links/pics to the last two can be provided if required.

Nunchakus are indeed forbidden by German law. What are Poi, though?

Poi would be a tool originally used by the Maori (natives of New Zealand) for various uses...  To send warriors off to battle, for hand/eye co-ordination, and also used to entertain guests at celebrations/feasts...  basically it consists of some type of handle (be it ring/loop, single loop, double loop, or even ball handle), some kind of tether/leash (ranging anywhere in size from as short as 6" to as long as 30") with some kind of object attached at the end, be it a glowstick, streetlight, or some random object on fire (usually with a kevlar wick).  I can provide youtube links, if you'd like. ^_^
« Last Edit: 14.03.2007, 21:49:47 by whitewulfe »

somewolf

« Reply #10 on: 14.03.2007, 22:05:55 »

tnx Cairyn!

it is pretty easy:
a 'stick' that isn't on fire and worn as a part of a costuming is most likely to be approved by me.
any other occasion handling such things, especialy spinning it round in public, is most likely to be banned.

of course i won't (and can't)  approve items that fall under the weapon laws here in germany, we'll have to check this first.

so still:
the way to go is to ask for me at check-in time
meaning IRL, not from pictures online, since i need to see the wearer/handler as well.

i'd prefer if everyone leaves there weapon-like items at home for i'll not discuss why i won't allow certain items
and so they may have to be locked-up during the convention.

wasn't this a furry convention? cuddling? art?  y .. ,  not war?

*wagz*
just
somewolf

whitewulfe

« Reply #11 on: 14.03.2007, 22:23:09 »

tnx Cairyn!

it is pretty easy:
a 'stick' that isn't on fire and worn as a part of a costuming is most likely to be approved by me.
any other occasion handling such things, especialy spinning it round in public, is most likely to be banned.

Ah, so no going outside in the wee hours of the night to spin poi when there aren't that many people outside, just can do such on the dancefloor with glowsticks (or devices resembling glowsticks)?

meaning IRL, not from pictures online, since i need to see the wearer/handler as well.

i'd prefer if everyone leaves there weapon-like items at home for i'll not discuss why i won't allow certain items and so they may have to be locked-up during the convention.

*nods* Makes sense, was simply asking about the staff as more than likely I'd be bringing it along (or, if possible, dropping it off at a friend's place before coming to the con) due to wanting to meet up with various other people in europe that are into various performance/dance forms...  They wouldn't be used as part of a costume though, just casual use on the dancefloor.

Blue_Panther

• 2nd Art Show Director
  • Art Show
  • Bouncy Pheline
    • Blue Spaces
« Reply #12 on: 14.03.2007, 23:57:12 »

They wouldn't be used as part of a costume though, just casual use on the dancefloor.

Hmm... there is something that I would like to throw in from a dancers POV: Eurofurence Dancefloors are usually a hive of activaty, especially if the dj spins a set which attracts a lot of people space is cramped. A fursuiter with impaired vision just might not be able to dodge you in time :D

TbW
«The trouble with quotes taken from the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine.»

Abraham Lincoln

whitewulfe

« Reply #13 on: 15.03.2007, 00:42:43 »

They wouldn't be used as part of a costume though, just casual use on the dancefloor.

Hmm... there is something that I would like to throw in from a dancers POV: Eurofurence Dancefloors are usually a hive of activaty, especially if the dj spins a set which attracts a lot of people space is cramped. A fursuiter with impaired vision just might not be able to dodge you in time :D

TbW

Good point, hence why one uses short leashes with their poi/glowsticks, and leaves the really tough tricks that require a lot of space (ex: flowers) for outdoors and less cramped conditions.

Jager

• Long live the south
    • SCV dot org
« Reply #14 on: 15.03.2007, 01:21:26 »

Ok somewolf, whats "Baned" under german law?
Yeah I light my own farts and your point is?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up