Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mosquito problem?  (Read 25139 times)

Natsuke

• ConOps
    • Natsuke's FA page
Re: Mosquito problem?
« Reply #15 on: 09.09.2010, 20:50:40 »

Yeah I got bitten twice or three times, I'm not sure.. and it itched like hell :(

Cookie

« Reply #16 on: 09.09.2010, 20:59:09 »

I was killing two of them with one slap in one room on the first floor, and then one later in the corridor. Besides that i haven't noticed them..

And luckily i didn't get bitten (as i appear to be allergic to those buggers)
"He's nice your uh ... uh.. squirrel?" said a guy talking about my ... ferret !

drayygon

• The UK communities militant dragon
« Reply #17 on: 09.09.2010, 22:09:16 »

I believe I got bitten once, and was able to kill two of them. I hate mosquitos. I really, really, really hate them. Next time I'll be ready with an Anti-Aircraft Machine Gun mounted to the lobby.

Russia ZSU 23-4 perhaps? Quad barrelled death machine!

I got bit once left forearm, 3 times right upper arm (by the elbow) and once on the back of my thigh, as i slept fully clothed after passing out form being up so long and drinking. Bloody things seemed to like Dragon blood -mutters-

Vixus

• Beep Boop!
« Reply #18 on: 10.09.2010, 06:51:30 »

I was in the fursuit lounge and headless, and talking to someone when suddenly one of those little things decided to land on my arm.
My response was pointing at it and laughing and saying "Haaaaaaaaaaahaha no free patch of skin for you to do your thing on!"
and then she flew off.

Good times.

Bostitch

« Reply #19 on: 13.09.2010, 14:12:48 »

Normally, in any group, I'm the first, and only one, to get bitten.
This time, nothing.  o.o

Tioh

• Pawpet Show
    • Tioh.de
« Reply #20 on: 13.09.2010, 16:47:11 »

One of these bloodsuckers hid in my car and bid me three times when I was driving home.

Huskyboy

• FC[HuskyFuchs]3a A- C D H++ M- P+ R++ T+++ W Z Sm+
« Reply #21 on: 14.09.2010, 23:27:02 »

you will prefer those litte Mosquitos when you ever got bitten by those a big horsefly.. ;D

VulpesRex

« Reply #22 on: 17.09.2010, 08:23:56 »

Ihad no problems with the mosquitos inside either the hotel lobby nor in my room - even with the window open in "tilt-in" mode for the entire duration of my stay.  The sheer gaussy curtain made a very effective mosquito net!

But on my walk-about on Sunday, I headed first down towards the rotary circle south several blocks, then towards the river - and somewhere along the line got bit, and it started to swell and itch almost immediately.  Upon my return to the hotel and my room, I examined the bite;it was on the left side of my neck, where a vampire would bite in a horror movie.  I had a welt that was over 5 cm long, and almost 1 cm high!

While on my exploratory walk, I happened to see a poster on a kiosk, advertising the town's annual BierFest - the ad prominently featuread an anthro female mosquito in a dress, sitting at a table and holding a stein of beir.  She could have been the official town mascot, for all I know, not just a symbol for the BierFest!

I never got to see the river itself - apparently there is an island which has been turned into a pedestrian park or garden, suitable for strolling about - but if the River Elbe has a slack body with a few stagnant, rush-filled lagoons, that would be enough.  I got the impression that the streets are not really graded for good drainage, so there may be plenty of standing water spots all over town for mosquitos to breed in.  I spent 2 years in the Panama Canal Zone, aquired an immunity of sorts to the saliva of the local species after about a year there; it may be that the natives of Magdeburg get bit, but aren't bothered with swelling and itching.
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Pony

• A feral equine with attitude
    • Dutchpaw
« Reply #23 on: 08.11.2010, 15:42:17 »

Already wondered where those mosquito bites came from. Hmmm...
Because I never actually heard them in our room. Then again... I didn't sleep that much at Eurofurence 16 (I blame Freckles) and when I did it was like *thud*ZZzzzZZzzzzZzzz...  ;D
The sun shines in my face, running as fast as I can, the wind blowing thru my mane...

VulpesRex

« Reply #24 on: 16.11.2010, 10:14:33 »

Regarding the Mosquito problem - it is reasonable to presume that, since next year's convention is during the same season , within 2 weeks of the same dates as this year, that the mosquitos will again be trying to turn us into blood buffets.  Therefor, preventive measures should be taken.

In the USA, we have a couple of products which are rather effective as mosquito repellants, particularly the ones which contain the chemical compound DEET.  The two best-known commercial applications for this are "Cutter" and "Deep-Woods OFF!", available as both an aerosol spray (in a can) and as a "Splash-on" lotion (in a bottle).  I can recommend the "Cutter" brand, in fact I used it to good effect in mid-summer in Massachusetts and in the tropical jungle then surrounding the Panama Canal, a place infamous for Mosquitos carrying Yellow Fever and Malaria.

...But these are just more things to pack - and while I will if necessary, I wonder what the equivalent German products, containing DEET, might be?  Perhaps they may be available at that supermarket in the shopping mall under and across the street?

Germany - and most of Continental Europe - is famed for a recreational culture which venerates hiking and trekking and general Outdoors living; surely there is a recommended product used to repel mosquitos from exposed flesh?
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Mazin

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #25 on: 16.11.2010, 19:49:57 »

Fursuiting 24/7? :P

Jaryic

• Stage Director
« Reply #26 on: 03.12.2010, 13:31:47 »

Germany - and most of Continental Europe - is famed for a recreational culture which venerates hiking and trekking and general Outdoors living; surely there is a recommended product used to repel mosquitos from exposed flesh?

I can recommend the "Autan" brand (autan.de)
They use Icaridin / Bayrepel® as well as DEET in their products and are available throughout Germany.

I have had only good experiences with it.

-Jar
Only those that can see which is invisible can do the impossible.

JonathanO

« Reply #27 on: 03.12.2010, 15:27:19 »

i never get bid even if next to one, do not know why

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: 08.12.2010, 21:23:43 »

i never get bid even if next to one, do not know why

Never knew it was an auction. Seems you're not worth it :)
yours,

Cheetah

BigBlueFox

• Video Lead
  • Video Team
« Reply #29 on: 08.12.2010, 21:25:39 »

Maybe he never met his reserve?
Official Something
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up