Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Contributing/Judging artwork for the EF Con-book  (Read 6334 times)

Crazy-go-Lucky

• Crazy-go-Lucky on FurAffinity
Contributing/Judging artwork for the EF Con-book
« on: 06.01.2011, 00:06:41 »

Now, I know this may sound a touch silly on my half but I'm just curious (and fairly new) about the contribution process.

First off; do artists just contribute their artwork at any time, or is there a set date in which submission starts?

Also, is the artwork judged by the public or by the members of the 'board'? And are they judged on 'relevancy', 'style' and the such? o.o

Sorry for the hassle and thank you!

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
Re: Contributing/Judging artwork for the EF Con-book
« Reply #1 on: 06.01.2011, 00:52:28 »

I'm sorry to announce this, but the conbook contest has been discontinued. You can of course contact Cairyn, the editor-in-chief, I'm sure contributions are still most welcome, there is just no more official contest. His email address is cairyn@tigress.com
« Last Edit: 06.01.2011, 01:05:13 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah

Crazy-go-Lucky

« Reply #2 on: 06.01.2011, 19:53:50 »

o___o ........... well... drat.

Hahah, I should 'ave suspected as much. Was there a specific reason it was discontinued?

Ah well, anyway; Thank you so much for getting back to me so soon. I really appreciate it.

And thank you for the email! =D

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #3 on: 07.01.2011, 13:53:28 »

Hahah, I should 'ave suspected as much. Was there a specific reason it was discontinued?

It's a general problem with layout and design. With the contest, we're squandering the option of wraparound covers and centerfolds, since these need to be horizontal; we force everyone to leave space for the title script although this is not necessary for all-but-one image; we can't have artists integrate the title script in the image because a title script should only appear on the cover and not on the interior; and we always run into the risk of having several artists select the same obvious theme for their contribution.

We also actually limit the artistic possibilities for interior art since all artists try to achieve best results for the cover, and "cover rules" are not necessarily "interior rules". Have a look at Titash's contribution (outside of the contest) for EF16, a busy piece like this would never have been submitted for the cover contest, but it adds to the variation of the book. I am trying to opening the doors a bit for people who want to try their hand at different kinds of motifs and layouts which may not be suitable for the cover.

EF was, I think, the last convention that held this kind of contest, and honestly, I was never too happy with that kind of competition. Whether it's a popularity contest like way back or, as I did it in the previous years, a judged contest with varying judges, it always felt like pushing people into competing - defining "winners" and "losers" - where everybody should actually work together towards the common goal of making the con book great.

Of course you are welcome to contribute. There will be more information about contributing up soon.

Crazy-go-Lucky

« Reply #4 on: 08.01.2011, 03:51:32 »

Ah, that makes so much more sense now =3 And from the way you put it, I'm sort of happy now knowing it's not a contest.

Will this information be posted up in the forums or on the actual website (Or both even)? I'm also just a touch curious when the final layout is finished and it's set in print?

Sorry about the constant stream of questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up