Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Music suggestions for EF furdance  (Read 15461 times)

Nesias

Re: Music suggestions for EF furdance
« Reply #1 on: 05.02.2011, 01:05:23 »

i think there could be some bands out of the "Dark Culture" scene which have nice songs
bands like:
- Agonoize
- Feindflug
- Combichrist
- Suicide Commando
- VNV Nation
- Eisenfunk
- Snarph!
(sorry for my German taste of these typ of bands ^^ i didn´t know if there known outside Germany or Europe)
there are other bands too
if you know some post theme ^^

Andraste

• FA gallery
« Reply #2 on: 05.02.2011, 05:14:35 »

I'd suggest a different Type of Music in general!

turbo Negro
AC/DC
kasier Chiefs
Johnossi
Mando Diao
Airbourne
The Who

and other kinds of Rock, Indie and stuff.
And yes this music is "danceable" ;-)

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
« Reply #3 on: 05.02.2011, 12:27:22 »

m(
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

nifela

• urban husky
I was husky before it got trendy

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 05.02.2011, 19:25:14 »

I'd suggest a different Type of Music in general!

turbo Negro
AC/DC
kasier Chiefs
Johnossi
Mando Diao
Airbourne
The Who

and other kinds of Rock, Indie and stuff.
And yes this music is "danceable" ;-)

Unfortunately, the majority of attendees and especially the fursuiters disagree. We started the BBF dance with rock music once, and it wiped the dancefloor. Good news is, that we'll be trying some alternative music styles at the piano bar this time, so not all is lost.

I can only stress that the EF dances are mass events, so you need to aim for the lowest common denominator. Techno might not be everyone's favourite, but it's obviously the least controversial option. It's the "hamburger and french fries" equivalent on music. Perhaps no haute cuisine, but (when it's done well) reproducably the thing the vast majority is happy with, if you're hungry.

(Guess what the most ordered meal at the restaurant in the maritim hotel is during the convention ... )
« Last Edit: 05.02.2011, 19:29:05 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah

CleanerWolf

• Camera Crew
  • Video Team
  • Lupine furry freak
« Reply #6 on: 05.02.2011, 22:00:55 »

I can only stress that the EF dances are mass events, so you need to aim for the lowest common denominator. Techno might not be everyone's favourite, but it's obviously the least controversial option. It's the "hamburger and french fries" equivalent on music. Perhaps no haute cuisine, but (when it's done well) reproducably the thing the vast majority is happy with, if you're hungry.
I agree, but I wouldn't restrict it to Techno only. The important thing is to choose tracks that create a positive feeling, a great party atmosphere, making people happy. The DJs at EF did a pretty good job at this in the last few years. But I remember my very first furdance at MMC8 (still have a video from this event on my HD) where no techno/trance was played, but mostly 80s and 90s pop music - and the dancers were very excited, it was just awesome :)
Some examples:
Frankie goes to Hollywood - Relax
Frankie goes to Hollywood - Two Tribes
Kiss - I was made for lovin you
Rocksteady Crew - hey you
Real Life - Send me an Angel (1989 version)

« Last Edit: 05.02.2011, 23:35:27 by CleanerWolf »
Furry conventions are like light bubbles in a dark ocean.

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
« Reply #7 on: 05.02.2011, 22:08:03 »

(Guess what the most ordered meal at the restaurant in the maritim hotel is during the convention ... )

The hotel had a restaurant? I never noticed.  ;D

(scnr)
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

VulpesRex

« Reply #8 on: 06.02.2011, 07:56:47 »

...I can only stress that the EF dances are mass events, so you need to aim for the lowest common denominator. Techno might not be everyone's favourite, but it's obviously the least controversial option. It's the "hamburger and french fries" equivalent on music. Perhaps no haute cuisine, but (when it's done well) reproducably the thing the vast majority is happy with, if you're hungry.

Actually - the Maritim Burger was a pretty good burger, and seemed the best value of available meals or snacks when offered in the lobby.  Stan Sakai enjoyed his, certainly.  But one couldn't just live on Maritim Burgers.

Completely Unrelated to the subject of suitable dance music - is there any particular sort of Folk music associated with the vicinity of Magdeburgh?  I need some sort of cultural fulfillment, after all.
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

CleanerWolf

• Camera Crew
  • Video Team
  • Lupine furry freak
« Reply #9 on: 06.02.2011, 13:18:09 »

@VulpesRex:
Believe me... you don't want to listen to German folk music  ::)
Furry conventions are like light bubbles in a dark ocean.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 06.02.2011, 13:31:02 »

I agree, but I wouldn't restrict it to Techno only. The important thing is to choose tracks that create a positive feeling, a great party atmosphere, making people happy.

There is no policy or any other "artificial" restriction on what kind of music is being played. It's good DJs doing to the best of their experience and knowledge. And we used to have quite a bit of classic 80s and 90s music during the dances in the past, but I guess it got a little bit boring to play the same 30 year old "hits" over and over again over the last 12 years of EF dances, I guess.

Today's dance music offerings are pretty polarized and sadly, about 50% of it is "black music" (rap, hip hop, sould and R&B) with all the nasty appalling subculture attached to it, and the other half is Justin Bieber and other artificial flavours :)

So techno and some recent "retro" electropop is pretty much all you're left with to please the geeks if you want to avoid the current "heavy rotation" on one hand, but are tired of repeating "99 red balloons" for the gazillionth time.

Classic "synth pop" music of the 80s that we all grew up with was 100% DEAD until the very recent retro trend which gave us Polarkreis 18, Hurts, etc and some dinosaur comebacks like Kim Wilde, Joe Cocker, U2, OMD and even f*cking Rick Astley has released a new single in 2010 ... which isn't even bad. But it's questionable if you'd be able to fill a dancefloor with it at EF. During the fursit dance, maybe, for an hour or so. We'll see. I surely won't make any provisions, and just let the DJ team do their job. Their success proves them right.
yours,

Cheetah

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 06.02.2011, 13:47:30 »

Completely Unrelated to the subject of suitable dance music - is there any particular sort of Folk music associated with the vicinity of Magdeburgh?  I need some sort of cultural fulfillment, after all.

Magdeburg was founded 900 ad. Music changed a lot during the ages, so which time are you referring to? Early Middle Age, High Middle Age, Late Middle Age, Renaissance, Age of Reformation, Age of Enlightment, 1800s, 1900s? It's really not an easy question to answer unless you're a historian :)

One thing I can say is that I don't know of any folklore from saxony-anhalt that is still "famous" even today. Unlike bavaria, if that was when you were thinking about. MAybe someone with better knowledge of the state of saxony-analt knows more about this than I?
yours,

Cheetah

Fauho

• webvos
« Reply #12 on: 06.02.2011, 16:39:31 »

Actually - the Maritim Burger was a pretty good burger, and seemed the best value of available meals or snacks when offered in the lobby.

Really? I ate one, it felt like my stomach was filled up with motoroil...

Besides, about the music, there is still a pretty strong 'alternative' (especially in Germany) scene these days wich produces a lot of f*%£ing good dance music (Blutengel, And One, Creme de menthe, Eisenfunk, Apoptygma Berzerk,...), only, THIS kind of music is not to be found in mainstream record stores or heared on the radio sadly...
« Last Edit: 06.02.2011, 16:46:46 by Fauho »

Mazin

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #13 on: 06.02.2011, 17:13:39 »

It's the "hamburger and french fries" equivalent on music. Perhaps no haute cuisine, but (when it's done well) reproducably the thing the vast majority is happy with, if you're hungry.

This raises the question: is the Big Blue Dance so long to match the massive burgers, or the other way around? ;D

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 06.02.2011, 21:00:01 »

Besides, about the music, there is still a pretty strong 'alternative' (especially in Germany) scene these days wich produces a lot of f*%£ing good dance music (Blutengel, And One, Creme de menthe, Eisenfunk, Apoptygma Berzerk,...), only, THIS kind of music is not to be found in mainstream record stores or heared on the radio sadly...

By the way, "And one",  Eisenfunk and Apoptygma Berzerk have all been played at past EF dances :)
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up