Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about selling comic  (Read 7337 times)

SenGrisane

• Charity
    • My FA account
Question about selling comic
« on: 18.05.2011, 08:13:18 »

An artist I know is putting together a little naughty booklet (I am involved a bit in it too but most of the work is done by him) and asked me if I could try selling a few booklets at the convention.

Now as unlimited copy thing, it wouldn't be eligble to be in the artshow (or maybe at least one could be entered as a hand signed first print ever?)
And I do plan running around visting events and doing lotsa stuff so registering at the Dealers Den is not really an option (apart from the fact it would be overkill to have a table and just put a few comics there, taking away space from someone who needs it more)
And I doubt I can run around with a sign, that I sell adult comics (I think it was against policies if I remember correctly ^^)

Could you advise me, what would be the best option in this case?

Thank you.

Pinky

• Charity Liaison
Re: Question about selling comic
« Reply #1 on: 19.05.2011, 09:44:35 »

I'm not sure what would be the right procedure (not my department) but perhaps you could try allying yourself with another dealer and ask them to sell it for you? Well that was just the first suggestion that came to my mind.
And so I say the things I say
And do the things I do
And if you do not like it, then
To hell, my dear, with you

SenGrisane

• Charity
    • My FA account
« Reply #2 on: 19.05.2011, 10:44:11 »

Well, I wouldn't feel good asking someone to sell stuff for me, I was asked to sell.

Blue_Panther

• 2nd Art Show Director
  • Art Show
  • Bouncy Pheline
    • Blue Spaces
« Reply #3 on: 19.05.2011, 14:33:23 »

(or maybe at least one could be entered as a hand signed first print ever?)

That actually is debatable as a collectable item, but most certainly we would't allow it. The reason is fairly simple: anybody could in buy the booklet from the first print run and have it signed, thus negating the exclusivity of the one on display. That is diffictult of course, when the artist isn't present, but as such no grounds for us to allow unlimited print publications exclusively to the art show if they are on sale elsewhere.

If the book is from a limited print run or the run is no longer in print, that would be a different matter and would then have to look at the situation again.

Just out of my mind however, such a collectable might be a grand contribution to the charity.

TbW
«The trouble with quotes taken from the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine.»

Abraham Lincoln

SenGrisane

• Charity
    • My FA account
« Reply #4 on: 19.05.2011, 15:58:21 »

I was afraid that would be the case. The booklet is not printed in a high number and not by any publisher. Just the artist himself.
I like the charity idea though.

Maybe if I explain a bit more it is easier to help:

The artist in question is Karno. I have commissioned him over the last years for several funny erotic stories. And since they have gotten numerous over time the idea came up to make another one and collect them all together as a booklet (16 pages I think): Karno has been selling his comics in this format for a while now at cons and such. I dunno exactly how he prints it, but they look rather professional. (If I manage it on time there'll be a one page gag picture in the booklet drawn by me as well)

So, this booklet does not really have the option of limited print as it is pretty much printed on demand (as far as I understood it). And somebody could much likely get a signed copy by Karno himself at a different Con.

But one idea I had. What if I advertise it on my art account and then hand it just to people that were interested in it beforehand? Kinda merely saving shipping costs by using EF as meeting point. Would that violate the rules?
« Last Edit: 19.05.2011, 16:00:53 by SenGrisane »

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #5 on: 19.05.2011, 23:42:40 »

Just out of my mind however, such a collectable might be a grand contribution to the charity.

Not really, since Charity has its panel in the General section and couldn't display adult stuff... and we try to get away from direct-to-auction pieces...

Blue_Panther

• 2nd Art Show Director
  • Art Show
  • Bouncy Pheline
    • Blue Spaces
« Reply #6 on: 19.05.2011, 23:58:53 »

Not really, since Charity has its panel in the General section and couldn't display adult stuff... and we try to get away from direct-to-auction pieces...

Oh dear, I missed that in the initial post. Sorry about that, but of course, you are absolutely right!

TbW
«The trouble with quotes taken from the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine.»

Abraham Lincoln

Gyroplast

• H.C. Chief of Security
  • Convention Security Operative
« Reply #7 on: 20.05.2011, 10:15:09 »

But one idea I had. What if I advertise it on my art account and then hand it just to people that were interested in it beforehand? Kinda merely saving shipping costs by using EF as meeting point. Would that violate the rules?

From the POV of security/Dealers' Den Mgmt., this seems like the most suitable option to me, really.
We object to selling wares "street-hawker style" outside of the Dealers' Den, as this would likely become very annoying very quickly. However, meeting up with customers to hand over pre-sold items is of course no problem at all, and nobody is going to mind if you casually mention the comic during normal conversation and sell a few more that way spontaneously. Some people also set up shop in their room and sell some items there, which is also none of our concern. Provided your room partners don't mind, of course.

Generally speaking: If we don't notice you're selling stuff, it's likely okay. ;)

Either way, I would like to strongly suggest pre-selling and marketing the comic before the convention as good as you can, otherwise the actual turnover on-site may be... less than stellar. Our guests aren't looking for fan material outside of the Dealers' Den, and we don't allow advertising as a general rule. Applying for a table would certainly "ruin" the convention for you, though, as you'd have to keep it manned during most of the time for, possibly, little profit.

Best regards, and good luck!
  Gyro
Give a man a fish, cats will pester him for a day. Teach a man to fish, cats will plague him for a lifetime.

SenGrisane

• Charity
    • My FA account
« Reply #8 on: 20.05.2011, 14:00:40 »

I didn't expect to sell a lot anyway. We'll see how well the idea is received on the interwebs. I might have a couple of books lying around in my room and when the topic comes up and someone's interested then I can show them.
I don't think I would like seeing "advertisement" around everywhere I go, so I am glad it's like it is.

We'll see if the comic is done on time, if the artist can send me a few prints in time and if he's interested in doing that after I update him on the matter ^^

Thanks for the information.
Pages: [1]   Go Up