Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping cool in suit  (Read 14493 times)

Vendace

Keeping cool in suit
« on: 07.01.2008, 12:52:29 »

For EF this year, I plan on having a fursuit. I know about the performance things (having read most of them on here and experience in Drama club in high school) and stuff like that, but my big thing is staying as cool as possible in suit. I'm familiar will staying hydrated, taking breaks when you need them, and trying not to push yourself, but I was wondering if anyone knows of some kind of clothing that really helps with staying cool. I'm planning on buying some Under Armor, a kind of polyester/nylon type stuff that pulls sweat away from the body and dries quickly to keep you cool and comfortable (I wear it under my uniform). I'm just trying to see if there's anything out there that would work better, expecially for my head. Not to keen on sweat dripping into my eyes XD I get that enough playing paintball. Thanks!

Spikester

Re: Keeping cool in suit
« Reply #1 on: 07.01.2008, 13:18:25 »

Uniform eh?

Are you in the armed forces?

As for keeping cool, there are places online that sell things like cold vests, a cool ring that goes around your neck and battery powered fans that can be placed in the suit.

Under Armour MIGHT work, but make sure you get the HEAT gear and not the COLD gear, but from my experiences wearing it under my own uniform, it traps moisture, but it only cools when that moisture is exposed to a wind source. I don't think much wind gets into a fursuit.

I plan to be suiting up for EF14 as well, though.

I'll have to do some digging around google and come up with some links.

Vendace

« Reply #2 on: 07.01.2008, 16:27:28 »

Yes, actually XD

Hmm...I've never worn them under anything heavier then my uniform. I do plan on wearing it for a little while before EF to get used to it (it'll be my first time suiting), so we'll see then how well the Under Armour will work.

Thanks again for the tips. I'm gonna have to look into that cool ring thing! ^_^

Peking

« Reply #3 on: 07.01.2008, 16:44:42 »

I´ll have a fursuit too this year and I am gonna buy this: http://www.aqualitywater.com/head_and_neck_wear.htm

It´s cheap and light-weight. I´m gonna buy this model: http://www.aqualitywater.com/EVAP_COOLING_NECKWRAP.jpg

Nekotorisha

• *mrowl* :3~
« Reply #4 on: 07.01.2008, 23:54:03 »

well you could buy a coolvest. with coolpacks.
i got two coolpacks myself, just need to make a vest to put it in.
as for underwear. i gotta full body thing made for under a wetsuit. it's made of lycra and feels really comfy. it also helps you evaporate the sweat.

*huggles*
nekoto
I slice pizza like no other

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #5 on: 09.01.2008, 11:18:57 »

Well, if you have access to a Clothing and Sales or PX that sells moisture-wicking clothes, they work great.  I am in the service as well, and fursuit quite frequently.  Under Armour is great, and if you can get a balaclava (not the cold weather ones) or a gator skin, they work wonders.  However, try to get clothes that are close to the fur color of your suit, just in case they peak through.  If you suit is overly large, don't worry about it.

Mystifur

• Fursuit Lead
  • Fursuit support
  • ,,,, =^o.o^= ,,,,
    • Mystic-Creatures - Custom Fursuits and accessories
« Reply #6 on: 09.01.2008, 16:51:31 »

Three possible, more or less useful methods:

1) Principle of cooling vest:
You wear something that has pockets to accomodate coolpacks
(gel, icepacks, dry ice,..)
Problem: you need to pre-cool the packs. At EF, you only have the tiny mini-bar fridge. Not very useful.

2) Heat exchanging device:
Having hoses with cooling liquid circulate inside
Problem: You need to place the actual device and radiator somewhere (outside the suit)

3) Evaporation:
As Fursuit will start to cool down, once you've sweated it all through and the moisture reaches the outside, starting to evaporate. You can accellerate this, if you wet the suit directly or put on wet stuff before climbing inside. Be it this evap stuff or any other synthetic.
Problem: well.. you're even more wet.
Fursuit Support, Parade, Public Affairs
---
=^o.o^=
Paws of velvet, claws of steel,
up to you, which you will feel.

Vendace

« Reply #7 on: 15.01.2008, 07:31:10 »

So the hot weather Under Armour works well? Cool ^_^ (No pun intended XD) I'll definatly have to try that, though I'll still probably try to get one of those rings. Thanks again!

Fawks Beaumont

« Reply #8 on: 15.01.2008, 07:56:31 »

No problem. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up