Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinion about this years pawpet show  (Read 52501 times)

BigBlueFox

• Video Lead
  • Video Team
Re: Opinion about this years pawpet show
« Reply #60 on: 27.08.2011, 20:18:54 »

I don't think this makes a lot of sense.... After all, nobody can use grades like that. With something as complex as the pawpet show, what people really need is a more detailed, constructive feedback. For example, ranking a story as "D" doesn't help anyone because that doesn't tell you exactly why it was rated that way.

The best thing IMHO is for people to take a while, think about the show, and write down their thoughts in a forum like this. It's the most helpful thing to anyone involved. Handing out grades like that is kind of like saying "That sucked".
« Last Edit: 27.08.2011, 20:25:43 by BigBlueFox »
Official Something

Ator

• (ノ  ̄ □  ̄ )ノ ♡
    • Ator on FurAffinity
« Reply #61 on: 27.08.2011, 21:11:45 »

A Feedback is a Feedback, so I'll tell mine.

I only felt sleepy during the pauses between the scenes, yet I can understand this.
That is absolutely okay, everything should take time.

But the show itself was just BOOM! (ノ⊙ ▽ ⊙)ノ

Everybody did an awesome job, I can't imagine how hard it is to make an actual show like this out of simple idea!
I think the Pawpet show team gave into this one sooo much! ≧ ︿ ≦
As for me - this show has it's own soul, it's own undescribable atmosphere! ♪
Everything was perfect, even if there was a few mistakes, the whole awesomeness covered all of 'em.

My absolutely ultimate thanks - to all the voice actors.
They were doing a gorgeous work, I enjoyed it every second. They created a characters with voices, yet every single word was understandabe for everyone!

Not to mention everybody else, who did SUCH a huge job!

I can't say anything except for:

I love you guys! ♡
Thank you so much for making such a wonderful Pawpet shows year after year for us!
Keep up the good work!

Kamuniak

• Con Book
  • Profile picture by Dolphiana
    • Kamuniak.com
« Reply #62 on: 29.08.2011, 00:41:23 »

Shortly, I enjoyed the show just like last years.

As some sort of geek, I really liked all technical stuff. Like entering to virtual reality was one of my favourites with bar and lights appearing and music starting while "loading" :D (video) And small details like that train lights were out because computer thought that nobody was in there :)

So thanks to everyone who made this possible once again!

Ralesk

« Reply #63 on: 29.08.2011, 22:20:44 »

I'd like to chime in a little with my own issues with the PPS.  They don't make it any less awesome, but they're still mild annoyances.

One, and this I've noticed a few times in the past: sound.  Sometimes, the people are amplified a bit too much.  Sometimes, the background music is too loud and overcomes the already hard to understand speech.

Accents (and other pronunciation issues).  Yeah, I know it's not a nice thing to pick on (and I do know everyone has one, including myself), but sometimes it makes it really hard to understand what the characters are saying... even if I do have twenty-some years of English behind my back.  And some of the players slur their words too.  I believe it's hard, and I know it's the last thing you're paying attention to while you're concentrating on the puppet and the act and everything, but please articulate things just a tad better.

Others have mentioned before that it's always a love story lately.  I'm okay with that, but I'd certainly appreciate some variety too :)  Look at the common things the last years' PPS scripts had and think outside that box a bit.

And please, don't bite people giving feedback, we all want things to get just even better than they already are :)  Thanks for making the show happen every year, again and again.

German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: 29.08.2011, 23:03:55 »

I hope people have noticed, that we've been working hard to improve our english writing! As for the english speaking ... well, we're all no native speakers. We're all trying to improve, we already choose roles for people based on their skills wherever possible, but I can hardly kick any volunteers out of the team because their english is not good enough. This is where we will never be like professionals. And it's good we're not.
yours,

Cheetah

djem

• Stage Team
« Reply #65 on: 29.08.2011, 23:54:38 »

I actualy like the fact that during the show we hear different english accent, and even with my poor english skills, I really have no problem understanding everyone there. It's Eurofurence, it's europe after all, showing that the pawpet show team is made of people from different country is cool :)

Rua Whitepaw

« Reply #66 on: 30.08.2011, 01:21:00 »

Maybe you could display subtitles? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVCvthr95io

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: 30.08.2011, 01:50:21 »

Maybe you could display subtitles? :)

You've got the job! :) I'll give you the script, when it gets finalized one week before the con, and you do the subtitling, okay?

(Finally someone I can make funny faces to, when actors switch around and skip their lines ... sofar, me, the sound effects guy, is the only one who gets totally confused when the cue lines I've been waiting for come early, late, in the wrong order or not at all - if you've ever wondered why so many sound effects are out of synch ... sometimes, actors can be pretty unpredictable :)
yours,

Cheetah

Fairlight

• Pawpeteer
« Reply #68 on: 30.08.2011, 13:34:42 »

*appears, puts a pink bow on Cheetah's tail, and disappears again*

Unpredictable my ass ^.^

Pinky

• Charity Liaison
« Reply #69 on: 30.08.2011, 21:34:47 »

*looks at pink bow* Oooh nice! May I have one too please? =^_^=
And so I say the things I say
And do the things I do
And if you do not like it, then
To hell, my dear, with you

ANTIcarrot

• Loquacious pawpet show reviewer
    • FA - ANTIcarrot
« Reply #70 on: 01.09.2011, 02:44:04 »

Thinking about the intetermission videos, at the moment you tend to play them soon after the curtain is closed, which leaves a long gap before the next scene. Did you considder starting the videos shortly before the stage is rebuilt, so you can open the curtains as the video finishes?

So Old Scene/Gap/Video/New Scene - as opposed to Old/Video/Gap/New.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: 01.09.2011, 03:00:06 »

Thinking about the intetermission videos, at the moment you tend to play them soon after the curtain is closed, which leaves a long gap before the next scene. Did you considder starting the videos shortly before the stage is rebuilt, so you can open the curtains as the video finishes?

Yes, but that would make the intermissions longer, because I would have to wait for the setup of the scene to finish before playing them in order to know when the crew backstage is ready to open the curtain :) The way we do it now, I can play it during the scene setup - with the disadvantage of the gap you mentioned.
yours,

Cheetah

Keidran

• Lonely Kitty and Brony /)^3^(\
« Reply #72 on: 01.09.2011, 08:02:05 »

You've got the job! :) I'll give you the script, when it gets finalized one week before the con, and you do the subtitling, okay?

(Finally someone I can make funny faces to, when actors switch around and skip their lines ... sofar, me, the sound effects guy, is the only one who gets totally confused when the cue lines I've been waiting for come early, late, in the wrong order or not at all - if you've ever wondered why so many sound effects are out of synch ... sometimes, actors can be pretty unpredictable :)

How about direct-to-screen subtitles with a little Monkey sitting behind the curtain, typing the spoken words directly to subtitles xD
« Last Edit: 01.09.2011, 08:17:11 by Keidran »

Suran

• Pawpet Show
    • YiffyToys.de®
« Reply #73 on: 06.09.2011, 11:39:40 »

Length:
The length was very fine.
The breaks too.
Maybe write a word about number and length of the breaks into the description in the con-book. Then people who don't know the show can plan about drinks and restroom-visits. ;) Like "Two 10 minute breaks."

Stage:
I really liked the elevator.
Null's box was awesome!!! Great work!

Props:
I only noticed that there where bullets at all after watching the recording in detail.
The fire fight on the roof looked...strange. One side firing away and the other just standing there, not doing much.

Sound:
I guess a chinese accent would have been WAY too hard on any of the main characters.
Kazzador's suggestion about a stage-hand a bit away with a microphone for the yelling sounds like it could work to make it sound more like yelling and shouting.
Some minor things like people missing their cue, breathing into their microphone or getting their sentence wrong are probably unavoidable.
Do you do voice-rehersals with Skype or something without everyone having to be on site?
May be a way to get slightly more rehersal time without making the logistic nightmare any larger.
I agree with Dhary about the lack of an ending song.
"Yes, the poor shopkeeper got shot... The sound effects for it played after lights out, tho."
That didn't work out. When the lights go out, people start applauding and you can't hear anything at all for quite a while.
About not having enough and switching mics: I can provide an additional good headset-microphone (wired) if requested. I can bring it to one of the smaller events if someone wants to try it.

Story:
I guess everything has been said about dropping the old main characters.
I felt it a bit short of comic relief. Fairlight/Poke had just gotten so good at that in recent years.
The private army could have been made more like the dim "Yes my producer! of cause my producer!" goons.
Maybe let the shopkeeper show more fear. He was so calm that I thought he was replaced by another spy all along.

conclusion:
GREAT SHOW as always. :)
Darker, more political and less emotional then last time. More dramatic. New faces.
I like it! :)

Fursuiter (2 Suits).
Dealer (YiffyToys.de and YiffyToys.us)

Zefiro

• Pawpeteer
  • IT Department
  • I'm a dragon
    • Zefiros Höhle
« Reply #74 on: 06.09.2011, 14:01:12 »

Maybe write a word about number and length of the breaks into the description in the con-book. Then people who don't know the show can plan about drinks and restroom-visits. ;) Like "Two 10 minute breaks."
Both overall length (counted in scenes) and act breaks (two breaks) are identical each year, and it's intended to be "one evening show". Although it's good to give furs a chance to visit the restrooms, everyone standing up and having to be re-seated again with more official breaks would ruin the runtime even more.

Null's box was awesome!!! Great work!

I only noticed that there where bullets at all after watching the recording in detail.
The fire fight on the roof looked...strange. One side firing away and the other just standing there, not doing much.
We didn't have real bullets in earlier years, so though of it as something which would add to the experience, not rely on it. Though I did hope it would be at least somewhat noticeable.
The issue about the bad guys shooting like crazy but not hitting anyone is basic cartoon physic. Can't argue with physics, can you? ;)

Kazzador's suggestion about a stage-hand a bit away with a microphone for the yelling sounds like it could work to make it sound more like yelling and shouting.
We're severly lacking profi-grade equippment here, and one mic receiver failed dead on us in the minutes before the show started. Good we had one as a backup, but we're at full capacity here.
Additionally, there's so much going on backstage which a mic held a bit away would pick up that I don't think this is feasible in a live show.

Some minor things like people missing their cue, breathing into their microphone or getting their sentence wrong are probably unavoidable.
Indeed. We're sorry, the limitations of a live show. My own experience was that it went rather smooth this year, which less issues than the years before. Though I didn't watch the recordings (I don't have any), are adrenaline-rushed instead of watching closely in the armchair, and some things which were "wrong" according to the script you can't notice :)

Do you do voice-rehersals with Skype or something without everyone having to be on site?
No, we have only the four rehearsals in total. It's hard to make the dates work with everyone anyway, additional sessions would not work. Also we're rehearsing the complete show, not focussing solely on the voice acting part. I do agree that we could improve here, though I'm not sure who can improve how much (e.g. me personally, I'm just not good at English pronounciation, despite some additional training with Eisfuchs), and with so much energy already going into the show I'm afraid that this might not be the topmost priority.

About not having enough and switching mics: I can provide an additional good headset-microphone (wired) if requested. I can bring it to one of the smaller events if someone wants to try it.
I'm sure the Stage team would get in contact with you or others if such a need arise, however we really need wireless mics for the show, and those MUST work together and with the rest of the stage equipment AND be available on all rehearsals already, too.

GREAT SHOW as always. :)
I like it! :)
Thank you.

*purrrr*
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up