Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dark Culture Music  (Read 24974 times)

Nesias

Dark Culture Music
« on: 22.08.2011, 20:46:01 »

Hi everyone,
i got the chance to talk with Cheetha this year about the possibility of an Dance with Dark Culture Music (mainly Industiral, EBM and Agrotech but not limited to it).
As far as i got it, it is possible but we have to organize it, what would be what to play, whos dj, what did we need.
[ Cheetha if you read this please correct me if i say something wrong. ]
There is no chance that we get could get the Mainstage or the Piano Bar but one of the Sig Rooms would be possible.
Okay so far so good, now who would be interested? Who wants to be the DJ?

Druon

Re: Dark Culture Music
« Reply #1 on: 23.08.2011, 11:00:14 »

Both my mate and me would certainly be interested to visit an event like that. From what I recall about the SIG-rooms the room "München" (where the GOH had the daily panels) would be one that actually offers enough space for some dancing with DJ, equipment and bystanders present.
Would staff be able to help out in terms of equipment for the event?

nifela

• urban husky
« Reply #2 on: 23.08.2011, 13:34:03 »

I believe that further dance/party events didn't take place because of music licensing issues.
I was husky before it got trendy

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 23.08.2011, 16:24:12 »

Damn you're right. I totally forgot about that. Sorry.
yours,

Cheetah

Druon

« Reply #4 on: 24.08.2011, 08:08:23 »

How much of an issue is it? Like, is there a way to solve it or do we have to dismiss the whole idea of having such event in a SIG-room?

Also while I can clearly see the main stage busy most days/evenings, maybe there still is some leeway at the later hours. I don't think the friends of Dark Culture Music would mind that much if there was some event starting around or just after midnight (worked for the Big Blue Dance, too) - that is of course if there still is a night when you are not rehearsing or otherwise using the stage unknown to the general public. Using this EF as example, I was specially thinking about the timeslot after the Fursuit Gameshow, which ended at about 23:30h.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 24.08.2011, 14:26:41 »

How much of an issue is it? Like, is there a way to solve it or do we have to dismiss the whole idea of having such event in a SIG-room?

Sadly, music licensing is a pain in the ass in Germany. All music rights belong to one organisation who have the absolute monopoly, and believe me, dealing with them is like going to the dentist without anesthesia and having your wallet stolen while you're still in pain.
yours,

Cheetah

Barney

• My Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: 24.08.2011, 15:07:06 »

Sadly, music licensing is a pain in the ass in Germany. All music rights belong to one organisation who have the absolute monopoly, and believe me, dealing with them is like going to the dentist without anesthesia and having your wallet stolen while you're still in pain.

Die Gema? Sadly you can't use the Kapitaen Nemo excuse for that... TAUCHEN!
A box of chocolates is like a fursuit, you never know what's inside...

Thygrrr

• Snarf!
« Reply #7 on: 24.08.2011, 15:39:52 »

( moved this to the Creative Commons Dance topic in this forum)
« Last Edit: 24.08.2011, 15:54:42 by Thygrrr »
Thygrrr Darkfurre

Dragony

• Time Lord
« Reply #8 on: 24.08.2011, 16:13:03 »

Dark Musik? That would be great, and that would be a reason for me to go to a dance.

My wishes: Somthing like the Playlist of www.tormentedradio.com

That would be very nice :)  8)
"State your name, rank and intention!" - "The Doctor, Doctor,... fun..."

Arcarno

« Reply #9 on: 24.08.2011, 20:10:47 »

During this EF this topic came up a few times during conversations, so here are some thoughts about it: right now Main Stage music is a mix of house and techno ranging from softer variants to somewhat harder beats. The main argument against the inclusion of Industrial, EBM, Dark Wave etc. is that it wouldn't fit with the rest of what is played and that it wouldn't be Fursuit friendly. I am not so sure about that, because the line between the standard club hits currently employed (Aquagen, Swedish House Mafia, various hard style remixes of 90's club hits etc.) and club hits from the "dark" scene is very thin, and usually rather fluid. I mean, it's not as if it suddenly were completely different music. Sure, there are some focus shifts in melody and beat, but not to a degree that would make it impossible to dance to.

So my suggestion is this: if a special SIG cant be done because of licensing issues, why not integrate some selected club songs from the dark scene into the main dance events, so there is something for everyone to enjoy and dance to? I am sure we can come up with a list of songs that are very compatible to what is already played. If you can play Aquagen, you can also play Eisenfunk. If you can play hard style techno you can also play Noisuf-X. I'd even say if you take out certain sequences from electro/industrial club hits and mixed them into the usual song setup, you wouldnt even notice the difference.

That's my input for a start. And please, don't get me wrong: this is by no means me saying I don't like what BBF or the other DJs are playing. It is just that I think it is possible to create a main stage dance that pleases both camps in this particular case. Because the music really isnt that different, at least not if you look at the songs where those genres overlap. I can dance to house and techno, but I can dance better to Industrial/Electro. Would it be too much to ask to include something compatible from those genres? I think even those who don't know or like that scene will still be able to dance to it, just like I can dance to their music. Why? Because when it comes down to rhythm, melody and beat, there isn't that much difference after all.

Zefiro

• Pawpeteer
  • IT Department
  • I'm a dragon
    • Zefiros Höhle
« Reply #10 on: 24.08.2011, 22:09:28 »

Because when it comes down to rhythm, melody and beat, there isn't that much difference after all.
But apparently there is enough difference for you to not be satisfied with the existing music selection. So I guess others might be equally not-so-happy about your suggested music.

Your current suggestion sounds like BBF should put a few selected pieces sounding quite similar to his usual set right into his playlist and hide them inbetween which nobody will notice. I'm wondering whether this would really solve your desire: are you dancing all night to the BigBlueDance and then suddenly enjoy the one dark hit? Because otherwise it would be more the case that you need to be present for those, which you need to know, and our dances never had a "style timetable" (like "4am prodigy special"), so how would you know?

*purrrr*

Arcarno

« Reply #11 on: 24.08.2011, 22:31:15 »

But apparently there is enough difference for you to not be satisfied with the existing music selection. So I guess others might be equally not-so-happy about your suggested music.

Yes, that is correct, but as I said, I can still dance to a style which is not my preferred one and be ok with it. So why can't others too? Especially if those different styles are still relatively similar and made for dancing. ^^

Your current suggestion sounds like BBF should put a few selected pieces sounding quite similar to his usual set right into his playlist and hide them inbetween which nobody will notice. I'm wondering whether this would really solve your desire: are you dancing all night to the BigBlueDance and then suddenly enjoy the one dark hit? Because otherwise it would be more the case that you need to be present for those, which you need to know, and our dances never had a "style timetable" (like "4am prodigy special"), so how would you know?

Let me explain further: while dancing and listening to the music of this year's EF I sometimes felt that there were moments, where a song from the dark scene would have fit in perfectly without breaking the general harmony and flow of the overall setup. It would not have distracted from it, it would have added to it. I think there are songs out there that would fit into the existing setup quite nicely while still keeping the general integrity of the desired mood.

But hey, I am open for suggestions here :) This is by no means a crusade against the current style and setup. I just think it would be nice to have a look at a wholly untapped genre and see if there is something in it that could add to the BBF dance and related events.

Thygrrr

• Snarf!
« Reply #12 on: 25.08.2011, 00:36:17 »

The alternative / creative commons dance I am suggesting pretty much would have a time table, simply because it would also be a platform for experimentation.
Thygrrr Darkfurre

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 25.08.2011, 03:55:41 »

The main argument against the inclusion of Industrial, EBM, Dark Wave etc. is that it wouldn't fit with the rest of what is played and that it wouldn't be Fursuit friendly.

The actual argument is, that it is not mainstream enough. Yes, the reason is really that mundane. That being said, as I mentioned earlier, THE DISCUSSION ABOUT MUSICIAL STYLE ENDS HERE. Sorry ... it never leads to anything useful :)
yours,

Cheetah

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 25.08.2011, 12:05:06 »

Okay, I'm sorry, it was a little late yesterday, and I didn't quite realize that this was in the special interest section, and not the feedback section, so I'll re-open this thread for you. But I'm sorry to say that at the moment I do not see any possibility to fit in any specialized music events into the schedule - unless the music is GEMA free.
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up