Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Feedback from EF17  (Read 53994 times)

Zefiro

• Pawpeteer
  • IT Department
  • I'm a dragon
    • Zefiros Höhle
Re: Feedback from EF17
« Reply #45 on: 25.08.2011, 20:37:52 »

If there's not already a thread about Bitter Lake, you can start your own. It's not something you need special privileges for :)

As for the Fursuit Gameshow, I believe the team is in search for new and challenging games every year which can actually be used. I'm sure they'd love to hear your suggestions.

*purrrr*

Blacktail

• Art Show
« Reply #46 on: 25.08.2011, 21:11:51 »

OK time for some feedback  ;)

First the Maritim a wonderfull hotel with really friendly personal the prices where normal and only some where changed (breakfast was cheaper than last year) neverless one jump over the street and it was still cheaper and better ^^
Second the people: This year I got the feeling that all where more relaxed than last year Really good
Sadly I can´t say more about the sigs because I was the whole time in the Artshow which in my eyes improved a lot since last year
PPS : This was my second time watching the life event and I enjoyed it a lot:it was differrent than last year where the whole "OHH no war is comming and death and all" storyline was more a epic ending for the old cast and with this year a new beginning was formed (It was more on the comedy side than last year)

Last I like to thank all Staffmembers and volunteers for their great work and hope to see all next year again
*hugs to all*

Korrok

• Korrok.com
« Reply #47 on: 26.08.2011, 08:39:40 »

Just thought to leave my 2 cents here.

Overall a lot of the problems from last year had been ironed out! Things went very well and there was a huge improvement with stuff like the Dealer's Den(s) and Art Show payout. The staff at the hotel seemed to be more comfortable with people, events happened in better time and I had no issues with the lifts this year. Thumbs up!

The expensive drinks from last year remained, however the cocktail bar right next door to the hotel was a worthy alternative - cocktails at 3 euros in happy hour and 5.50ish normally - and MUCH better quality drinks than the hotel was serving. It's sad that it means the hotel is emptier but it was just too good to overlook!

My only real issue was with the water in my room, the shower would switch from normal to ONLY blazing hot water, resulting in a couple of nasty scalds. I should indeed have reported this to the hotel but we were extremely busy with the dealer's den and it just wasn't at the forefront of my mind at the time.

The hotel itself is absolutely lovely and a joy to stay in. Extremely clean, beautifully furnished, great cleaning staff, just wonderful. The location is brilliant (I got to fully appreciate the convinience this year - last year I had an injury which meant that a walk to the mall was too far for me >_>) and the nearby restaurants are excellent.

Overall an extremely positive con! Thank you guys!

Asgra

• The DJ dragon
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #48 on: 26.08.2011, 16:26:05 »

Crossposted from the German language thread:

Hi!

I also would like to you give you all a short feedback:

This years convention even topped EF16, which has been great already! This might be caused by the fact that I got to know a lot of new and awesome people since I moved to NRW last October. Last year I only knew about 10 people at EF, this year I can't even count how many I recognized and how many actually recognized me (even though I couldn't recall all of the people who told me I know them :D ).
But there's also some things in the convention itself that improved after last year:

+ Dance Competition. This is THE event that was missing at Eurofurence. It was a very entertaining show, even though the judges have made questionable decisions and ratings. Next year I'll most likely be dancing there as well ;)
+ Staircase. Finally!! People could actually use the stairs not only to get upstairs, but also downstairs. Huge improvement to last year. If you were lucky and could catch a room in the first two floors, you didn't have to wait an eternity for that elevators to finally stop at your floor.
+ Piano Bar. Awesome idea to have DJs in the bar. There hasn't been one single night you didn't have the opportunity to dance your furry butt off. Party every night, that was certainly awesome. I'll be DJing there next year as well - has been great fun.
+ The disco ball in the lobby. Didn't work out at all last year, this year it sent chills down my spine - It flooded the lobby with dancing stars. This created a wonderful atmosphere.

In the German feedback thread I also asked what happened to that Eurofurence flags. Well, apparently they managed to somehow disapper in a mysterious incident where alien lifeforms have been involved.
(This replication of the original statements isn't necessarily accurate)

To put it all in a nutshell: Great great great convention! Thanks to the whole staff, the Security, the Con Ops and everybody who has been working in the background or foreground to make EF17 as awesome as it was!

Asgra
Download my DJ mixes for free:
http://public.keenora.de/asgra/

User and password are both:  djmixes

krakendwaggin

• Krakenplex Productions
« Reply #49 on: 27.08.2011, 22:23:29 »

I just got reminded of something, clearly nothing terribly important otherwise I'd have mentioned it in my first post.

I loved visiting the pool and saunas in the hotel, having been dragged into them by a good friend (after running to kik to get some swim shorts!).
The pool area really REALLY needs more lockers, EF can't help that, just an observation!.

Now, I do kinda like inflatables, they can be cute, but the ones in the pool most of the time were HUGE, it's not a terribly big pool and at one point we had a great big tomcat jet, must've been at least 6ft from point to end and nearly the same across at it's widest point, a massive tiger and a massive dog, and some folks seemed insistent on putting more and more into the pool when most people would like just to have a swim about and relax, I'm not asking for 'No Inflatables' far from it, I just wish that some folks saw some common sense and not overload the pool with them, bobbing about in the pool and hearing a air pump start up to see another massive inflatable about to be thrown in when the pool already has a sizable number of them got kinda annoying.
At the time I just shrugged and enjoyed the time with my friends but in future please guys think of others!

Also, speaking of 'thinking of others', I do not know what standards continentally are expected in that sort of area, yeah, if you want to go nude into the sauna, you do so, its fine, it's all sectioned off anyway, but if you are gonna go back out to poolside, let me say this on behalf of everyone else in the pool, PUT YOUR SWIMWEAR ON!.
Seriously, was VERY uncomfortable for alot of people seeing people 'hang free' out of that little area, is this normal? I don't know, but please, for decency, when heading out of the sauna area please cover up >.<

Pinky

• Charity Liaison
« Reply #50 on: 28.08.2011, 15:28:01 »

Just want to say.

Best guest of honour ever! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Just brilliant, really enjoyed his panels, learnt a lot, and such a lovely guy! :)

From the bottom of my heart (and I'm sure his heart too, if you permit it I'll pass your thanks on to him  :) ) thank you so much. I agree, I learned a lot from him too. I'm so happy you liked it.

GoHs vary and we try to get a new "area of furriness" covered every year (e.g. last year we had an artist). So hopefully they will always be to some people's liking and others will care less as it's not their thing (which is perfectly good and as long as they have fun, all is well).  :)

And thank you Vector for your kind words. I hope you enjoyed the SIGs.  :)
And so I say the things I say
And do the things I do
And if you do not like it, then
To hell, my dear, with you

Vector

« Reply #51 on: 28.08.2011, 18:38:49 »

And thank you Vector for your kind words. I hope you enjoyed the SIGs.  :)

Oh, you can't imagine how I'm thankful & grateful to all the ppl who make this possible. It was a daydream.

Jim is such an thrilling, inspirational person. Thanks to you Pinky for taking care of our GoH & his wife. They deserved your attention.
"I used to be an Eurofurence attendee like you, but then I took a Laden to the knee."

Pinky

• Charity Liaison
« Reply #52 on: 28.08.2011, 20:15:07 »

*blushes bright pink and goes speechless*
And so I say the things I say
And do the things I do
And if you do not like it, then
To hell, my dear, with you

yagfox

« Reply #53 on: 28.08.2011, 20:52:41 »

Do please pass on all our thanks and warmest wishes! :)

Hopefully with his teaching, our cavalcade will be a bit less cack next year! :)

CleanerWolf

• Camera Crew
  • Video Team
  • Lupine furry freak
« Reply #54 on: 28.08.2011, 21:57:09 »

Well, there are so many things to talk about...

Let's start with the artwork in the lobby - especially at night the large banners, the flying dragon and the mirror ball created an amazing atmosphere. The artists (and technicians) which were involved creating all this stuff cannot be praised enough.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful all the time. The hotel room was clean and the bed was comfortable.

This year I had mixed experiences with the security team, some of them being very friendly and helpful, but in some cases inadequate rude. I already sent a PM to the person which was involved and will not spread any details here.

Again I enjoyed the friendly atmosphere. Didn't have any bad experience with one of the other furs. I loved to hang around with my friends and also talking to "new" people.

Unfortunately, one of my favorite events was a big disappointment this year - the fursuit parade at friday.
After the group photo being made, nobody gave instructions what to do next, resulting in a huge pile of fursuiters just standing around in the lobby. After a while, somebody announced that the rain just stopped and the parade would start outside. Well, it did, but with VERY bad timing, because all the poor fursuiters experienced the worst rainstorm of the whole day without any chance to escape. After returning to the hotel, most fursuiters just vanished to their hotel rooms trying to dry their suits.
I am aware of the fact, that the EF staff is not able to influence the weather, but you didn't have to be a weather expert to see, that it would NOT stop raining. A simple view out of the window showed a very dark cloud coming towards our location.
At last year's fursuit parade the fursuiters were walking around in the hotel first and then started the parade through the city. If this procedure would have been repeated this year, the outside parade would have taken place in perfect sunshine.

About the dances...
The mix of music styles being played was ok, with some very nice highlights. For example, I loved Kenai for playing the original version of "What is love" instead of some crappy remix and that "Big bad wolf" song was cool  ;D  Aouuuuuu!!!!  :D
Unfortunately what made both dances less fun compared to last year for me was the partially bad (or non-existent) lighting. The lighting rig was capable of some really cool effects (loved the spots at the side of the stage), but the LJ used them rarely, instead left the whole dancefloor in complete darkness for minutes.

It's ok to have dimmed lighting during a slow, romantic song, but during fast paced tracks, the lighting should support the party atmosphere with appropriate effects. Come on guys, EF is a furry party, not a gothic funeral!
Another downside was the loudness - at past EFs I never had problems with the loudness, it was always very enjoyable without earplugs, but at this years BBF dance it was just hurting my ears at some point.
So my wishes for the next dances would be - spend more energy for light and less for the amplifier.

Overall, EF17 was a very nice experience again with only a few things to complain about and I want to thank everybody who helped making this possible. See ya all again at EF18 hopefully :)

Edit:
Forgot something I want to add now - last year I liked Kenai and djem working together as DJs. They were a dream team at the mixing table. They rocked the house while looking very cute with their fursuit heads. I hoped, it would be repeated this year and was missing it somehow. 
« Last Edit: 29.08.2011, 13:43:21 by CleanerWolf »
Furry conventions are like light bubbles in a dark ocean.

Kamuniak

• Con Book
  • Profile picture by Dolphiana
    • Kamuniak.com
« Reply #55 on: 29.08.2011, 00:19:41 »

Feedback about feedback :) Last years there's been feedback session on sunday. I liked those, I liked to hear face to face from people what was in their mind right after convention. But this year there wasn't one?

Zefiro

• Pawpeteer
  • IT Department
  • I'm a dragon
    • Zefiros Höhle
« Reply #56 on: 29.08.2011, 01:03:18 »

Feedback about feedback :) Last years there's been feedback session on sunday. I liked those, I liked to hear face to face from people what was in their mind right after convention. But this year there wasn't one?
We found out feedback on the forum is in general more valueable, as during the feedback session only some people can give feedback, while on the forum everyone can participate. Also, it's usually more broad and some more thoughts put into it as opposed to just the one single issue right on your mind when speaking in person (sometimes even things which are completely outside of our control, like cocktail prices). Additionally, it is way easier to collect all the feedback together when it is written here.

Another issue was that many staff members were either too exhausted on sunday or still very busy so that only a few of us could actually join the feedback sessions, forcing those attending to relay the opinions voiced to the different departments.

Overall it was found that although a live feedback round sounds nice in theory, it wasn't the most efficient way to improve Eurofurence any more.

*purrrrr*

MOW

• Registration
« Reply #57 on: 29.08.2011, 01:38:47 »

The amount of stuff needing to be packed away increases year after year, and staff is very much exhausted after Saturday's events, so I understand they rather concentrate on equipment breakdown lest they have one themselves. Core staff already has enough work to do on Sunday, and not having any planned events other than the DDP reduces their stress levels very much.

Also, there is still a lot of time till next EF, so feedback posted here is still early enough and is more useful after everyone was able to catch up on sleep.
Time-critical feedback should have been mentioned to con or hotel staff right then and there, the feedback session would have been too late for that anyway.

tiggieandsketchkat

« Reply #58 on: 29.08.2011, 11:29:08 »

Right I do have a few things to say:

The con was the best i have ever been to and I have been around a bit.

Things run late as they always do at cons and mistakes happen. I'm happy that things went as well as they could have.

The music was just too loud. I did speak to 2 members of the staff who said "Oh well", and as you can imagine wasn’t to happy with their answer. The music was dangerously loud at times. Yes I know it's too late, but I’m telling you for next time: You have the power to say "Well, last year's music was too loud, turn it down a notch next time". It's not too late to leave Feedback you can help with.

I see a lot Cheetah's replys in here having a go at people who leave feedback for you. I though this was a place for people who are to shy or didn’t have the time to make a point make it here and Hope something can be fixed from it. That’s what i’m hoping anyway. Cheetah, none of this is an attack at you or the con we love!

I have to raise a point I got told off about: Nudity in the Pool area? Now as I was aware that it was allowed in the sauna rooms and behind the wall, but next to the pool sat in the open in view of the public and in view of the public looking through the window was not allowed? I got told later it was allowed, but I have to ask one question:

Do you think that going nude at a con looks good in public? If a person off the street walked into the hotel - as they were allowed to go to the bar - and if they had wandered off and looked through the glass of the door, whoa, can you imagine what they would say if they saw naked people?

I know what I asked these people and Nightfox has already spoken to me about it so please don’t feel the need to say to everyone here what was said, it won't help its been done and been dealt with.

Also, if being nude is okay (which is what I got told by nightfox) why were there so many people in there with cameras? There’s pics on FA now of that pool area. Now I don’t want to sound like a whiner, but I really don’t want my pictures of me in a bathing suit on the net and although I went to ask if people taking pics were allowed, I couldn’t find any security who could understand me and I gave up after 20 minuets. I’m sure they understood English but just couldn’t be assed - and I have no idea who they were, before you ask.

I had a camera stolen from the lobby at EF17. It took from nine pm till 3:30 am to get it sorted, was told to wait because something had gone on.

Now I understand that things are important, but just for next time: Why not just send some one to say "Come back in 2 hours" and go from there as I waited 2 hours to be told to come back in 2 hours. It got sorted out in the end, and I was very thankful that an English speaking German girl had helped me. Many thanks. I Apogise I can’t rember your name however.

On the last night the last party was the one I was building up for and then I found that the fursuit room had been taken down and in its place was 3 fans. Brilliant! I know you wanted to pack up, but perhaps a note in the conbok at this last event saying "The fursuit room will be very limited because of closing of EF" would have helped me for a start!

The dances in the week never had enough airflow though them for suiters. I know this as I semi passed out from the heat.

Dealers den:

I would suggest giving people in the dealers den a way to show their selfs, although I only had a few hold ups asking who I was and where I was going I found that it was difficult at times to walk past cues to get back to our table.

The fusuit lounge was fantastic! Enough blowers at all times and it was a hell of a bonus to the con to get free drinks in there - we have to thank a lot for that.

The hotel staff on the last day tried to charge me 120 Euros for parking, for a car I didn’t have parked in there. Car park id moved my car 3 days before checkout. Paying 70+ euros (no ef staff to tell as there were none left at this point). They took 30  minutes arguing. I had to pay or my credit card would be charged. The only thing I could say was if I didn’t pay how I got it out. LOL.

The con was excellent. I wasn’t very impressed with the time it took for the paw pet show to get running and then become late by 2 hours, if not more. I didn’t realise how long the pawpet show took either and then found the time was really late when I wanted to party, and the party had not been setup yet! Still I know things run late and please do not quote me just to say something along the lines of problems happen.

So to Nightfox and Cheetah: Please read this. Please do not take to heart and please do not feel the need to quote and tell me how wrong I am about all this. This is here to help in the future of the con!

Thank you so much for a good time Looking forward to next year.

Tiggie and Sketchkat
« Last Edit: 29.08.2011, 12:39:51 by Cheetah »

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: 29.08.2011, 12:41:01 »

Okay, so I'm not quoting you. But I took the liberty to turn your feedback into english, because staff members started complaning about severe headaches trying to read two full pages of text with no punctuation. Please do not take to heart and please do not feel the need to quote and tell me how wrong I am about all this. This is here to help in the future of the forum!

yours,

Cheetah
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up