Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: water system  (Read 11572 times)

nobs

• the wolf of the tigress team
    • tigress
water system
« on: 25.08.2011, 19:34:31 »

The pressure of the water (and therefore the temperature in the shower) varies fast and hard.

This was the case quite often on different times of day.

Maybe they should check their pressure system.

(another topic I should have had with the hotel directly, I know)
just an average con goer

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
Re: water system
« Reply #1 on: 25.08.2011, 19:43:05 »

I am sorry, but we do not maintain the hotel's plumbing, and I'm afraid telling the hotel "one out of 1076 attendees complained about the water pressure" is not going to change much. As before I can only suggest taking complaints like these to the front desk the very moment it happens.
yours,

Cheetah

nobs

• tigress
« Reply #2 on: 25.08.2011, 20:16:08 »

I am sorry, but we do not maintain the hotel's plumbing, and I'm afraid telling the hotel "one out of 1076 attendees complained about the water pressure" is not going to change much. As before I can only suggest taking complaints like these to the front desk the very moment it happens.

You (edit: I dammit ;) ) do not need to write you do not want to write about it ;-)
(edit: this funny-meant-intro was too complicated for me, as it seems...)

I just mention it so others can share their experiences. If every one says "for sure I am the only one, so I don't tell" we will never know.

And I guess, it is "not everyone's cup of tea" to report directly to the hotel.
« Last Edit: 25.08.2011, 22:27:34 by nobs »
just an average con goer

BigBlueFox

• Video Lead
  • Video Team
« Reply #3 on: 25.08.2011, 20:19:49 »

Okay, but... If nobody talks to the hotel about issues that obviously ARE hotel related, what do they think will happen? Sure as hell the hotel staff is not going to use your shower everyday to see if everything works...
Official Something

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 25.08.2011, 20:50:07 »

Well, I can relate to the feedback, and it's fine to give it, for sure. But in this forum, it will not change anything, that's all I'm saying ... to prevent disappointments :)
yours,

Cheetah

Nightfox

• Vice Chairman
  • Board of Directors
« Reply #5 on: 25.08.2011, 20:50:28 »

@ Nobs

My part is hotel relation, all day long at EF i solve hotel related problems, also for our guests.
And i could solve like 95% of the problems people told me.

Really guys, if you have a problem tell me AT THE CONVENTION, i will glady see what i can do :)

It makes no sense to tell the hotel about such things afterwards at all..........

nobs

• tigress
« Reply #6 on: 25.08.2011, 22:38:31 »

It makes no sense to tell the hotel about such things afterwards at all..........

You really think so? I would expect they are interested in any "bug report". So they can fix it now.

In the very moment it is hard to decide whether it is worth mentioning it to anybody. I see a huge load of things that could be better. It is just a habbit to me ("Berufskrankheit").

So I decided to skip most of the stuff for the moment and will see what I remember with some days distance.

Other way round I could have contacted you or hotel staff really very often. I wanted to avoid that. I hope that is understandable.
just an average con goer

Riffuchs

• Art Show
  • Ears in motion
« Reply #7 on: 26.08.2011, 03:45:10 »

Frankly.. the hotel was made for boring business folks with a scheduel and not for a bunch of bouncy subculture affected people. Some parts of the infrastructure can't be changed but just slightly adjusted. We should just accept that instead of focusing on it. I bet Nightfox asked already if there's a way to get rid of... i.e. the warm water issue or improving it by adjusting the throughput or pressure. And: cold water does no harm except of waking one up without the need to drug the body with coffee ;)
Yours sincerely,
Riffuchs

Bostitch

« Reply #8 on: 26.08.2011, 05:29:59 »

You really think so? I would expect they are interested in any "bug report". So they can fix it now.

They are, but the only way they can do anything about it is if you tell them the moment it happens. Give them specifics, like room number and time it happened, and then they can attempt to fix it.
It will likely be a while before they have over 1000 guests at the same time again, so it will be hard to recreate the circumstances and see where exactly the problem lies. If you tell them about these problems on the first or second day, they can at least try to have maintanance guys checking the system at peak capacity.

Tekumseh

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #9 on: 26.08.2011, 10:15:34 »

Actually I remember that problem from last year (6th floor) - it was not an issue this year (4th floor) though.

And Riffuchs: cold water can hurt - if its preassure drops down while you are showering due to some toilet flushing somewhere...

All in all I think its an issue due to high demand when the hotel is booked out - so the hotel might have the possibility to set their system to the higher demand in advance...
In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man, as modest stillnesse, and humilitie. (Shakespeare)

nifela

• urban husky
« Reply #10 on: 26.08.2011, 12:46:57 »

I certainly remember one or two showers which had me jumping because the temperature changed from a relaxing warmth to boiling hot, only to be followed by freezing cold. I didn't mind the latter but the sudden rise in temperature definitely wasn't pleasant.

I didn't complain because the problem didn't seem to occur after my arrival on Tuesday, where I had better things (catching up on sleep) to do than to complain ;)
I was husky before it got trendy

DarkFoxDK

• DarkFoxDK
« Reply #11 on: 26.08.2011, 13:49:53 »

It happened once for me, but not nearly as extreme as others seem to have experienced. For me it was going slightly hotter/colder rather quickly (Like, something around 1 Hz).

I didn't report it because it was a minor issue and I felt it was to be expected with a fully booked hotel. ;)

White_Dragon

• ConOps Office Manager
  • ConOps
  • Cuddly Dwaggy , Free hugs
« Reply #12 on: 27.08.2011, 14:09:56 »

Guys really many of these are design problems when hotel was commission, build.
Every hotel or place works with something call diversity factors, what are statistic values depending of type of premises, What what they do is incorporate a option or normal operation condition's.

for Water system diameter of pipes and pressure in pipes, and normal hotel load could be like 400 Showers in one given time, possibly only 40 per one rising main water pipe.
Do build building for like 600 showers at time would be huge demand per resources and would incorporate extreme design ( using not commercial, standard assemblies, what would result in maintenance issue cost and availability of replaceable parts) 

Same is for air conditioning system they are design similar way expecting certain numbers of people (around 1.5Kw heater, human body) in building for prolong time, if system manage catch up overnight it is fine, but really don't expect to be able cope with 1200 people for 19h in main lobby, and from them 200 active working (producing heat more)

- for showers do take it in different time of day when is less demand if you expect 100% operation, or tell somebody don't use baths, only shower.
- for air conditioning well not much to say unless streets of Magdenburgh could be overrun by furies.

I believe such problems are common at any places with are use 24h as resident area.         
EF ConOps only place where " Dragons " rule , you find " solution " to your problems and  you got " eaten " for disobedience.  :)

Mazin

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #13 on: 28.08.2011, 02:37:28 »

I had no problems with the water temperature (I was also on the 4th floor), and I was taking a shower every day (and even twice one day!), so I'm guessing this was only a problem in certain areas and may have been fixable. All the more reason to mention it right away! The hotel was very quick to repair things (I found a burnt out light in the stairwell around 1 AM, and they immediately sent someone to replace it!), so just ask!

Quincy the Raccoon

• I'm a raccoon... searching for yo trashies!
« Reply #14 on: 28.08.2011, 19:54:21 »

Yeah, the watersystem had its ups and downs, but it didn't bothered me tho...
Ringtailed bandit, that's what I am :3
Pages: [1]   Go Up