Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Balloons...  (Read 25230 times)

nifela

• urban husky
Balloons...
« on: 27.08.2011, 18:27:09 »

Quote from: Original_Poster
Posting this also on behalf of some others who'd like to remain anonymous;
first off, thanks to all who made last EF such a success!
There's just one thing I'd like to mention, or request for future EFs, and that regards the balloons in the main lobby. Some people (including myself obviously) really aren't all that fond of balloons (major understatement to some). Now of course one can't keep éverybody happy, but it's something I've been asked to mention. During the wait for the pawpet show it kind of got too much for one fur as she somewhat panicked from the many balloons popping, and due to the big crowd she couldn't easely run away. Another example being a fur that didn't see the show live as getting to it meant crossing the lobby, which was a no-go.
So as rediculous this might sound, please take it into account next time (that'd be you, Skeppo ;)). I do think it's okay during the parade and such, as the open space and 'outside' helps alot for some. I obviously can't ask for a ban on balloons lol, but it'd help to stick to roomparties etc. regarding, instead of flooding the public areas. :) I can't randomy throw my stuff around in the lobby either, right?  :P
Well, thanks.  :D

Oh yes, yes, yes. I know this too well. Waiting for the show to start was very stressful - even with the earplugs I carry with me all the time.
What was even harder for me personally though was having the balloons in the actual seating area of the stage (before Kage or Bitter Lake iirc).

I too would like to kindly ask to respect the fears and phobias of your fellow furs.
« Last Edit: 29.08.2011, 14:21:26 by Cheetah »
I was husky before it got trendy

ysegrim

• Superhero
  • Stage Team
Re: Balloons...
« Reply #1 on: 27.08.2011, 18:55:04 »

Sorry, but I really, really liked the balloons as a kind of "crowd control" while waiting for the PPS seating to start. I did not like them being popped though, and they were a nuisance or worse in the stage room itself (both during PPS and during the dances) -- but, er. A phobia of balloons? I hearthily respect all kinds of challenges attendees might have, but how many people are actually affected by Fear of Balloons?

(Besides, they were, AFAIK, in no way initiated nor encouraged by EF staff. Nor does my opinion reflect the official one of EF.)

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
« Reply #2 on: 27.08.2011, 18:58:33 »

I'm sorry, but at 1000+ participants it is practically impossible to take any individual's possible phobias into account.

Even if 10 persons felt offended (quite a high number), that would make 1% of attendees affected, and 99% unbothered.
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Cheagle

« Reply #3 on: 27.08.2011, 19:02:39 »

Well it's not the balloon itself it's rather the loud bang and there had been quite a few people(myself included) who really didn't liked it. So it might be an idea to not use them/use them in private.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 27.08.2011, 19:07:15 »

Oh my .. this is a complex topic! I totally agree with balloons inside the main ballroom ... during events, they are an unwanted distraction, and possible a slight danger to equipment, so there's no reason to allow them in there.

But the first thing that caught my eye when watching the linked youtube video was, that the majority of furs there seemed to have a very good time - most likely a much better time than they would have had without those balloons. They are a popular party accessory, and one of the simplest toys ever invented. Sending security out there to take the balloons away probably would not have gone down well ... after all, people had nothing else to do. So, on average, it was a good thing to have the balloons out there. It kept people entertained and occupied, instead of being bored and frustrated. Great stuff.

On the other hand, if you have a phobia about balloons popping, I can fully understand why that might have been a very frightening situation for you - and that it's not your fault, because you are what you are.

Now comes the hard part. You're basically asking me for a decision if I should let 500 people ruin the fun for you ... or have you ruin the fun for 500 people. I'm not going to answer this ... if you ask that question this way, every answer is a wrong answer.

Is there anything we (or you, or us together) can do to improve the situation for you that does not require me to make such a black-and-white decision? Maybe we can find a workaround?
yours,

Cheetah

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 27.08.2011, 19:10:45 »

Well it's not the balloon itself it's rather the loud bang and there had been quite a few people(myself included) who really didn't liked it. So it might be an idea to not use them/use them in private.

The question is, is it really just "not liking it", or do you have a serious problem that prevents you from enjoying the following events, or even frighten you so much that you have no choice but leave. We can't take everything away from the lobby, that somebody just "doesn't like". It takes a bit of tolerance to be in such a large group, I'm afraid.

yours,

Cheetah

BigBlueFox

• Video Lead
  • Video Team
« Reply #6 on: 27.08.2011, 19:11:32 »

My big concern regarding this issue is: I've seen glasses and drinks almost getting knocked over by balloons more than once. So, while I had no problems with the balloons themselves, I found it quite annoying always having to watch out for balloons when I tried to sit down somewhere to relax and have a drink.
Official Something

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 27.08.2011, 19:22:28 »

Hmm... since I mainly saw balloons coming from one single person (who like balloons just a little more than your average furry nudge-nudge-wink-wink), maybe we should talk to that person, and kindly ask him to not outright flood EF with them. The occasioal balloon really doesn't do much harm, they are so lightweight, you'd have to bat them around with a lot of force to tip over a drink.

I don't really want to place a ban on balloons ... I think that would send a totally wrong message to the people.
yours,

Cheetah

nifela

• urban husky
« Reply #8 on: 27.08.2011, 19:33:37 »

For me personally, it's a constant fear whenever I see or hear a balloon. I am terribly afraid of sudden, loud noises and balloons provide a great source to nurture this fear. I can alleviate this by plugging earplugs into my ears, which however isolates me from more than just the balloons.
If I'm prepared and know or notice in advance that there are balloons, I can wear the earplugs and continue on pretty much normally - the only drawback is that I have a hard time talking to people or noticing if somebody says anything.

This is however not so much an ideal option for the actual stage room itself. I don't want to take the fun and distraction away the balloons provided during the wait for the pawpet show, but I would very much mind if there were balloons in the lobby during the entire con. While waiting in line for the doors to open, I turned my back towards the lobby and lived in blissful ignorance of the balloons.

I certainly didn't like the balloons in the main stage area however :\

ysegrim

• Superhero
  • Stage Team
« Reply #9 on: 27.08.2011, 19:48:30 »

My apologies for my previous post. A fear of the loud noise of a popping balloon, especially during the stressful situation of being stuck in a crowd, is something I can comprehend much better. I also agree that this might affect a significant amount of congoers.

So it looks like everyone here would like to see no balloons at all in the ball room, in the sig rooms, or (gasp) in the art show. Regarding special occassions, like waiting in the PPS line -- what about other ways to keep everyone happy? Would beach balls solve the problem, or do they have too much destructive potential? Giant soap bubbles would be nice, but I think their residue will be much too dangerous. Anything that's not floating will hardly be seen by the majority of the crowd. Some kind of performance on the balconry of the Conference Floor? Hmmm ...

yagfox

« Reply #10 on: 27.08.2011, 22:51:12 »

I have to say, I popped back to my room while the balloons were being bounced around in the Pawpet show queue, and it looked really, really cool from above! :)

I don't suspect suggesting adding balloons as a feature to the photoshoot would go down to well considering the angle of this thread! ;)

nifela

• urban husky
« Reply #11 on: 27.08.2011, 23:01:37 »

I don't suspect suggesting adding balloons as a feature to the photoshoot would go down to well considering the angle of this thread! ;)
Please, no more balloons. The thought of having to run around the entire hotel wearing earplugs and being in constant fear of popping balloons isn't very comforting.
I can tolerate it, if they are used sparingly (eg. only while waiting for the doors to open for the pawpet show) but please, no more than that. Its stressful for me personally already, since I always end up in rooms on higher floors and I'm afraid of heights (and partially elevators, especially when people start bouncing around in them).

BigBlueFox

• Video Lead
  • Video Team
« Reply #12 on: 27.08.2011, 23:16:58 »

Please, no more balloons. The thought of having to run around the entire hotel wearing earplugs and being in constant fear of popping balloons isn't very comforting.
I can tolerate it, if they are used sparingly (eg. only while waiting for the doors to open for the pawpet show) but please, no more than that. Its stressful for me personally already, since I always end up in rooms on higher floors and I'm afraid of heights (and partially elevators, especially when people start bouncing around in them).

When I was a child, I used to be very afraid of balloons, too. Ask my parents, they still remembered my extreme reactions when balloons were around... It was close to a panic. At some point in my life, this irrational fear went away and I have no problems with them anymore, but I do understand anyone who has... It's going to be a difficult decision to make.
Official Something

MartinRJ

• Forum Virtuelle Welten
« Reply #13 on: 28.08.2011, 02:09:56 »

I'm sorry, but at 1000+ participants it is practically impossible to take any individual's possible phobias into account.

Even if 10 persons felt offended (quite a high number), that would make 1% of attendees affected, and 99% unbothered.

I totally agree with doco.

What if someone is allergic to fur fabric? Would we have to ban them too?

No. That goes a little bit too far.

As long as the hotel administration or staff does not object balloons, they are totally okay and fun for (almost) everyone!

Maybe you could talk to the staff next time in such a situation so they reserve you a seat while you can wait elsewhere for the beginning of the event?

nifela

• urban husky
« Reply #14 on: 28.08.2011, 04:40:34 »

I totally agree with doco.

What if someone is allergic to fur fabric? Would we have to ban them too?

No. That goes a little bit too far.

As long as the hotel administration or staff does not object balloons, they are totally okay and fun for (almost) everyone!

Maybe you could talk to the staff next time in such a situation so they reserve you a seat while you can wait elsewhere for the beginning of the event?
Someone who would be allergic to fur fabric most likely would have a hard time going to a furry convention in the first place.
All we people suffering from this are asking is to keep the amount of balloons under control. They aren't an essential part of the fandom and being constantly subjected to the possibility of a balloon popping (or fireworks going off etc. - same problem and fear there) is producing a lot of stress for a group of people.

Completely dismissing this as irrelevant is hurtful, seeing how well this thread has progressed so far :(

I'm not asking for a complete ban on balloons or other items which cause sudden, unexpected and loud noises. All I'm personally asking for is to limit it to a sensible time as well as space. There really is no need to have balloons bouncing around in the main stage area or to have balloons constantly floating around in the lobby. The waiting time for the pawpet show wasn't comfortable for me but I was quick to pull out my earplugs (something which I can only recommend to anyone suffering from the same phobia - get a few sets of earplugs and carry at least one pair with you all the time) so it wasn't a constant, dreadful fear.
Needless to say, I didn't hear (or rather: understood) much other things, such as announcements (in the main stage area or from Kage).
Wearing earplugs during stage shows also wasn't an option, so whenever a balloon was bounced around in the seated crowd, I had a really hard time trying to relax and not constantly tensing up and being terribly afraid.

So please, take our viewpoint, our problems into account before arguing against us. It's stress- and hurtful to us.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up