Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: (Not!) Missing people you want to find  (Read 14706 times)

Ralesk

(Not!) Missing people you want to find
« on: 29.08.2011, 21:43:34 »

This isn't the first time this has happened, not to me, not to others — you go to EF, potentially to a different country where you don't necessarily have internet access (EF public WiFi helps a lot!), don't necessarily bring a laptop with you, and you face roaming charges if your mobile phone even works.

But you want to meet up with someone you'd known for a good while online, you know you both will be at EF, and you both spend most of the con's free time looking for each other.  And if you don't know each other's looks enough or haven't agreed on something like what clothes you'll be wearing, chances are you won't find each other in the 1000+ people that go to Eurofurence.

So I thought, let's have a topic about this.  Let's share ideas about how to make things work out better; how do/would you make sure you find your friend at a con, without sitting at the entrance all day or waving a huge sign with someone's (or your) name on it?  (The one is not really fun, the other is mildly awkward, I'm sure you agree.)  And, on the other hand, how could the con itself help, if at all?
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

MartinRJ

• Forum Virtuelle Welten
Re: (Not!) Missing people you want to find
« Reply #1 on: 29.08.2011, 22:22:56 »

I had that problem. I was looking for a friend of mine I wanted to meet at the EF. I knew his real-life name, I know where he lives, I know how he looks in real-life and I even have his number.

I called him several times, but he told me afterwards that I called his landline-number.

I even saw him (I checked almost every fox's badge) but did not recognize him because I only remembered an older nickname of him, not the name he chose for the EF. I even found his suit in a video and some pictures I took - afterwards.

Is there anything you can do to help us in such situation?

Rua Whitepaw

« Reply #2 on: 29.08.2011, 22:24:19 »

It might help if we could tell each other our room numbers before we go to EF, then we would know where everyone is.

Zefiro

• Pawpeteer
  • IT Department
  • I'm a dragon
    • Zefiros Höhle
« Reply #3 on: 29.08.2011, 22:26:17 »

It might help if we could tell each other our room numbers before we go to EF, then we would know where everyone is.
Room numbers are assigned by the hotel once you arrive. So those would need to be communicated onsite.

*purrr*

Bostitch

« Reply #4 on: 29.08.2011, 22:29:38 »

If you know the person's real name, Hotel reception will know what room he is staying in. They might not give it to you, but you can ask them to leave the person a message.

MartinRJ

• Forum Virtuelle Welten
« Reply #5 on: 29.08.2011, 22:33:35 »

If you know the person's real name, Hotel reception will know what room he is staying in. They might not give it to you, but you can ask them to leave the person a message.

good point, thanks

I didn't think of that option.  :/

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 29.08.2011, 23:15:15 »

Use twitter to tell your friends your room number.
yours,

Cheetah

Ralesk

« Reply #7 on: 29.08.2011, 23:18:43 »

Except that for foreigners it's not necessarily a given that they can tweet and read tweets (nor is everyone on Twitter).

That's great, I didn't think of that one either!

Tsanawo

• Stage Tech
  • Stage Team
  • Silly Raccoon
    • DutchPaw
« Reply #8 on: 29.08.2011, 23:27:02 »

Except that for foreigners it's not necessarily a given that they can tweet and read tweets (nor is everyone on Twitter).

EuroFurence supplies a wireless network in the lobby; of which the password is in the conbook. Plan with your friend, make the agreement both will @tweet the roomnumber they get at the other person and set a time and meeting point. E.G. Your room, or the other persons room, the first day at 21.00, that way you're sure to meet the person. Else, exchange mobile phone numbers and text a room and time to meet up :)
If all the world’s a stage… I want better lighting!

Wawik

• ConStore & Sales
  • Obviously I _was_ a god after all.
« Reply #9 on: 29.08.2011, 23:30:53 »

The hotel also has telephones. You can call (and even drunk dial! ::)) rooms with that invention.
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Ralesk

« Reply #10 on: 29.08.2011, 23:32:52 »

The hotel also has telephones. You can call (and even drunk dial! ::)) rooms with that invention.

Oh, don't you give such ideas to people ;D

Drachetto

• Drachetto's FA page
« Reply #11 on: 30.08.2011, 11:14:09 »

A blackboard (or something similar) near the entrance where you write appointments to other furries?
"Fluffyness is happyness!"

Henrieke

• Pawpet Show
    • FA page
« Reply #12 on: 30.08.2011, 12:42:54 »

A blackboard (or something similar) near the entrance where you write appointments to other furries?

This!
I should write that in the feedback forum (though I think this will get read by staff as well)... a message board would be very nice. In the previous hotel there were some corkboards, which were very nice in my opinion. Con info can be hung up there, as well as announcements, promotions for SIGs, roomparties and such and ofcourse silly little messages. Is there a practical reason why there is no such thing in the current hotel?

BigBlueFox

• Video Lead
  • Video Team
« Reply #13 on: 31.08.2011, 07:43:49 »

I was missing those, too. Most large US cons have them, and I think they are quite handy. I'll agrees that question. :)
Official Something

Pinky

• Charity Liaison
« Reply #14 on: 31.08.2011, 09:47:47 »

I've raised the matter with the EF staff.  :) Hope we can have one for next year.
And so I say the things I say
And do the things I do
And if you do not like it, then
To hell, my dear, with you
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up