Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Countering the TV crews - An idea :3  (Read 6126 times)

Hai λ

• Internal Coordination
  • λ> Just $ "Eyo!" >>= replicate 2
Countering the TV crews - An idea :3
« on: 06.04.2012, 22:56:36 »

[Note from the future, 2020: Please disregard this crap that I've written so many years ago. Back then I was not aware yet that there is a dedicated press relations department working with the TV crews that roamed the hotel.]

Hey!

I've just seen recycled EF17 video material on German private TV again (in a pseudo documentary show named Galileo Big Pictures) and I just had this idea...

When the TV day comes again, for EF18, it might be a good idea for a few suiters to team up, take out their pocket cameras, and point at and photograph the TV crews straight on, pretending that the TV people are the special ones, not the suiters :Р I guess that would certainly look interesting on TV, if somebody decided to broadcast that part of the footage too :Р
« Last Edit: 30.05.2020, 20:00:31 by Hai λ »
Embedded in the mud, glistening green and gold and black, was a butterfly, very beautiful and very dead.
Twitter | FurAffinity

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
Re: Countering the TV crews - An idea :3
« Reply #1 on: 07.04.2012, 01:04:34 »

I've just seen recycled EF17 video material on German private TV again (in a pseudo documentary show named Galileo Big Pictures)

That was just a cheap "the weirdest stuff we found on TV" countdown show. I wonder if they licenced the use of the footage. In our case, they re-used parts of last year's RTL Explosiv report with new voice over.

When the TV day comes again, for EF18, it might be a good idea...

Please don't do anything that can be perceived controversial or even hostile to the media and leave it up to Eurofurence media relations staff (me as the head of department, Lynard and Luxen as my deputies), the Eurofurence board of directors, or if nobody of us is to be seen, Eurofurence Security to handle. Interacting with a reporter can be fun, and contrary to popular belief most editors do have a great sense of humour, but it is a thin line between being entertaining and making an ass out of yourself. Furthermore, as you have seen, footage may end up elsewhere in an entirely different context. Always keep this in mind.

And besides, the "fursuiters films back" has been done a couple of times, mostly on American reports. Done by someone experienced with how news reports work, under supervision of the media relations staff of the respective conventions.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Hai λ

• Internal Coordination
  • λ> Just $ "Eyo!" >>= replicate 2
« Reply #2 on: 07.04.2012, 07:51:51 »

Alright, thank you for putting this in a proper context. The point about the editors being humorless hadn't occurred to me yet, but it may indeed be better to not tip the very unstable balance against our favor then. And, yes, I seem to have displayed a lack of insight into how it has already been done somewhere else.

Do you have an opinion about those videos segments that display suiters trying to eat? They are played back on every occasion, and to me, they seem to be a strange attempt in drawing the connection from suiters to regular people walking about. It makes me wonder if footage like that serves a good purpose (as in: distracting from potentially worse things) or not, and whether there should be a kind of slight coordination or central recommendations to avoid certain scenes, without restraining the artistic nature of the overall event.
Embedded in the mud, glistening green and gold and black, was a butterfly, very beautiful and very dead.
Twitter | FurAffinity

Blacktail

• Art Show
« Reply #3 on: 07.04.2012, 11:06:52 »

I´ve seen it too and did wonder if EF had given his OK for the material to be shown
but in the end with the new voiceover it was OK and not disdainful

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 07.04.2012, 13:49:33 »

Do you have an opinion about those videos segments that display suiters trying to eat? They are played back on every occasion, and to me, they seem to be a strange attempt in drawing the connection from suiters to regular people walking about.

I actually found that quite amusing - and appropriately anthropomorphic. I find fursuiters deep throating bottles to drink funnier, tho :) We need to stop taking ourselves so seriously.

It makes me wonder if footage like that serves a good purpose (as in: distracting from potentially worse things) or not, and whether there should be a kind of slight coordination or central recommendations to avoid certain scenes, without restraining the artistic nature of the overall event.

I don't understand what you mean. In the space that we allow them to be in, camera crews will randomly film anything that looks interesting to them ... the rest of the work is done in the editing room. And what they film and how they edit it, is completely out of our control. So it's hard to say, what the "purpose" of filming is in their minds. The public TV stations have a certain intention to inform people what the fuss in their city is about and entertain their morning viewers during breakfast. The private TV stations usually just want to entertain and keep people's attention for the next commercial break.

« Last Edit: 07.04.2012, 13:54:35 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah

Fangorn

« Reply #5 on: 05.06.2012, 13:15:53 »

For my part, I think the best thing to do if you realise you are being filmed is wave and smile, or look friendly if a fursuit head obscures your face of course. Remembering that the lobby area of the hotel is also a public right of way, I would say that anything you think a polite and nice way of behaving outside the hotel in costume should be the same inside the lobby too.

Amy Ninetails

• Transgender DJ fur
    • FurAffinity page
« Reply #6 on: 31.07.2012, 00:10:58 »

in the case of "suddenly tv reporter" shoving a mic up your nose, just say "i don't understand" with a very broken German accent. that is at least my defense :3

but yeah, the EF Media Team knows their stuff, and it should go through them. but in the case of a suprise interview just make them look and feel like they picked totally wrong :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up