Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Magdeburg eatery recommendations  (Read 20735 times)

Miles T.F. Baxxter

• Arctic fox
    • Norwegian Paws
Magdeburg eatery recommendations
« on: 28.05.2012, 15:28:09 »

I don't think I had a single genuinely good meal last year while at Eurofurence (not counting visits to this fun ice cream bar not far from the hotel). This year I'd like to remedy this by tracking down a few good and interesting eateries in advance.

So, anyone have any recommendations?

draconigen

• Webmaster
  • Website Team
Re: Magdeburg eatery recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 28.05.2012, 17:18:52 »

There was such a poll last year, not sure why it has been closed though. -> https://forum.eurofurence.org/index.php/topic,3290.0.html

Miles T.F. Baxxter

• Arctic fox
    • Norwegian Paws
« Reply #2 on: 29.05.2012, 01:31:10 »

Oh, many thanks! I'll definitely give that thread a good rooting through.

Quincy the Raccoon

• I'm a raccoon... searching for yo trashies!
« Reply #3 on: 30.05.2012, 21:35:19 »

Well, atleast I can recomment you the small café near Kaufland with every morning a very cheap breakfast! (fresh out the oven-bread!!!)
Ringtailed bandit, that's what I am :3

Santa fox

« Reply #4 on: 31.05.2012, 00:01:49 »

If I may be as rude, as to push another question into the thread; Is there anything inherently bad about the food at the hotel? In regards to the quality.
« Last Edit: 31.05.2012, 00:24:05 by The santa fox »

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #5 on: 31.05.2012, 00:53:49 »

Is there anything inherently bad about the food at the hotel? In regards to the quality.

Not at all, the food at the hotel is really great and worth its price (try the burger!) However, if you are on a rather tight budget, prefer a different style of cooking, or just need to get away from it all for an hour or so, there are plenty restaurants in the direct vicinity. I enjoyed the Italian ("La Piazza", if Google Maps is right) next to the fountain very much.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Quincy the Raccoon

« Reply #6 on: 31.05.2012, 18:52:11 »

If I may be as rude, as to push another question into the thread; Is there anything inherently bad about the food at the hotel? In regards to the quality.
The quality sems to be good, but it's the pricing that gets ya!  :-[

Miles T.F. Baxxter

• Arctic fox
    • Norwegian Paws
« Reply #7 on: 08.06.2012, 14:37:04 »

Well, atleast I can recomment you the small café near Kaufland with every morning a very cheap breakfast! (fresh out the oven-bread!!!)

Oh? Do you know what it was called?

I didn't eat there much. I think the breakast buffet was okay-ish, but expensive. The burgers they were selling in the middle of the lobby were pretty bad though (big and dry, without much in the way of condiments, veggies, or fries), and the opening day barbecue looked pretty underwhelming (but I didn't actually try any of it).

Quincy the Raccoon

« Reply #8 on: 11.06.2012, 19:39:54 »

Hmmmmm........ the name of the place near Kaufland? That's a good question, never looked at the name though.... but it's very near KL so you can't miss it. I've seen more furs eating their breakfast so maybe another fur knows the name?

Leophan

« Reply #9 on: 22.01.2013, 22:49:47 »

Any places that offers German food? Or is it all burgers and Italian?

Fenrikur

• IT Department
  • ~ Art Show & Other Things™ ~ Random Helper Wolf ~
    • Twitter – @Fenrikur
« Reply #10 on: 22.01.2013, 23:06:44 »

Strange as it may sound, finding decent German food at a reasonable price in larger cities in Germany actually tends to ocasionally pose a challenge even for natives. ;3
One website which I found to be useful on occasion (although I haven't yet tried its Magdeburg version) is prinz.de, with the major downside of it being that it is only available in German.
“Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I could be wrong.”
― Terry Pratchett

Leophan

« Reply #11 on: 22.01.2013, 23:30:22 »

Strange as it may sound, finding decent German food at a reasonable price in larger cities in Germany actually tends to ocasionally pose a challenge even for natives. ;3
One website which I found to be useful on occasion (although I haven't yet tried its Magdeburg version) is prinz.de, with the major downside of it being that it is only available in German.

Google Translate <3

Schleppdampfer Württemberg sounds interesting

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #12 on: 23.01.2013, 19:03:13 »

Two places I found worth noting, the Currywurst stand in the station was absolutely amazing... will be waiting all year to get more of that delicious noms! Secondly, if you do venture down to the steak house (out the hotel, turn right and along the road). Be prepared for a long wait, we had to wait ages for food and it really wan't worth waiting so long for.
More is more.

Gyroplast

• H.C. Chief of Security
  • Convention Security Operative
« Reply #13 on: 23.01.2013, 19:20:06 »

Secondly, if you do venture down to the steak house (out the hotel, turn right and along the road). Be prepared for a long wait, we had to wait ages for food and it really wan't worth waiting so long for.

To be fair, that steak house gets a lot of mixed reviews. Myself I've been there 5-6 times now over the last years, and never had to wait long, nor was disappointed by the food itself. Quite the contrary. We usually buggered 'em with 6-10 people as well. I have heard other opinions similar to yours, though. In the end, as the food isn't expensive there to start with, I'd suggest giving them a try yourself.

If you are planning to give a close-by restaurant a visit as a group, it is a very good idea to give them a call some time ahead and reserve enough seats for all of the participants. It's likely you're not the only one with the glorious idea of grabbing a bite, and they won't be as surprised by the onslaught, which might help waiting times, too. Ordering in advance would be even better, of course.  ;D

Give a man a fish, cats will pester him for a day. Teach a man to fish, cats will plague him for a lifetime.

Quincy the Raccoon

« Reply #14 on: 23.01.2013, 19:53:35 »

the Currywurst stand in the station was absolutely amazing...
Oh yeah! Tell me all about them! Those were the beste wurst ever! (gawd, why don't I have any money for EF this year?  :'() I wish I could deliver them at my door here, one for every day in the year...  #p
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up