Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tourist Questions (and local feedback wanted)  (Read 12021 times)

furtech

• Pawpet Show
Tourist Questions (and local feedback wanted)
« on: 03.08.2012, 08:45:15 »

Hi!  Calicougar and I will be touring Germany before the con.  I've found that locals often have MUCH better advice than the tourist sites and travel agencies when it comes to sight-seeing. 

There are a few things that are so general and broad that we'd appreciate any suggestions you might have:

Which forest and what city/town? 
We want to visit the Black Forest or the Heath forest (Südheide Nature Park), but they're HUGE.  Where would you suggest staying?  What town would be best stay in, keeping in mind that we're taking the train or cabs or busses everywhere (no car rental).  We're most interested in day-hikes and seeing wildlife.

Quaint villages:
We'd like to visit one or two towns/villages that are old and quaint, medieval.  Tourist traps are all right as long as there's a lot to see or shop around.  There are thousands of these (even most big cities have them), but there must be a few that you, as locals, could recommend as being particularly neat!  Maybe one of the fairy tale highway towns?  (Again, accessible by train).

Horse farm.  To look at spectacular horses.  Friesisns would be neat to see.  Another person recommended the Lipizzaners, but aren't they Spanish??

Dog events: not sure what's about, but I might be interested if there are any shows going on.

Zoos: I've seen the Madgeburg and Frankfurt zoos and enjoyed them a lot!  How is the Berlin Zoo?  Any other recommendations?

Theater: puppet shows (besides the EF Pawpet show!)

Again, any suggestions would be welcomed!

Lance

neweinstein

• Fursuit Photoshooting
  • Crazy Scientist
    • Furaffinity account
Re: Tourist Questions (and local feedback wanted)
« Reply #1 on: 03.08.2012, 11:57:39 »

A quite nice area is where I was living in Germany *cough*

Nürnberg has a nice center for shopping and the old castle is worth a visit. Nürnberg also has a great zoo ... most of the animal photos in my furaffinity account were taken there -> http://www.furaffinity.net/user/neweinstein/

Not too far north and by that on the way is Bamberg ... a Unesco world heritage site for its old and well preserved city center.

Both cities are easy to reach by train.

EIN
„Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." (Albert Einstein, 1931)

Henrieke

• Pawpet Show
    • FA page
« Reply #2 on: 03.08.2012, 12:26:24 »

The Berlin zoos are spectacular. Not so much for the exhibits (though the parks are beautiful, but not always from an animal's point of view), but for the collection: Berlin has two zoos, Zoo Berlin and Tierpark Berlin. Zoo Berlin has the largest animal collection in the world- Tierpark has the second largest collection in the world.

Suran

• Pawpet Show
    • YiffyToys.de®
« Reply #3 on: 03.08.2012, 13:35:20 »

Black Forest? Freiburg ist a very nice city. Very Old center, good wine, great climate and perfect for hiking in.
If it's on a weekend, give me a call and I can show you around.

Puppet Shows? There's one stage in Karlsruhe.

PS: Got a great new outfit for the suit based on that german shepheard head of yours to wear on EF. :)
« Last Edit: 03.08.2012, 13:39:44 by Suran »
Fursuiter (2 Suits).
Dealer (YiffyToys.de and YiffyToys.us)

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 03.08.2012, 13:41:58 »

Nürnberg has a nice center for shopping and the old castle is worth a visit.

The youth hostel attached to the castle was our EF Venue in 2005 and 2006 :) Good times ...
yours,

Cheetah

Suran

• Pawpet Show
    • YiffyToys.de®
« Reply #5 on: 03.08.2012, 13:44:23 »

The youth hostel attached to the castle was our EF Venue in 2005 and 2006 :) Good times ...

No, no, no ....GREAT times!
Fursuiter (2 Suits).

neweinstein

• Fursuit Photoshooting
  • Crazy Scientist
    • Furaffinity account
« Reply #6 on: 03.08.2012, 15:55:22 »

I know, I know ... I lived just 20min by car away from EF and didn't knew about it (because I was not yet in the fandom at that time) ... *bangs_head_on_the_wall*
„Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." (Albert Einstein, 1931)

Ragear

• Pawpet Show
  • Ragear the Lion
« Reply #7 on: 03.08.2012, 17:29:19 »

Hi Furtech,

I'm from Karlsruhe: it has a nice little zoo sporting snow leopards (4 by now) Elephants, Polar bears, Giraffees. It's also a railway hub: daytrip to Freudenstadt in an all-window streetcar through the north black forest, Strasburg on the french side of the Rhine www.strasbourg.fr, to be reached by french high-speed train in 40mins, veeery scenic (cathedral&old town)!! but no zoo. What Suran mentioned is the Marotte Figurentheater which caters to an audience starting from 3 years, but you're never too old to come http://www.marotte-figurentheater.de/spielplan/ about 50km away is a family oriented amusement park with wildlife park http://www.parkscout.de/ziel/wildparadies-tripsdrill/tierpark-in-cleebronntripsdrill-baden-wurttemberg
Then there's Heidelberg about 40mins by train, and which american doesn't know the name, big & nice zoo, a bird-of-prey station atop the Königsstuhl hill, castle, tonload of tourists. also nearby several spa's.

a bit too much to mention all :-)

Ragear

furtech

• Pawpet Show
« Reply #8 on: 03.08.2012, 18:01:17 »

Wow-- thanks!  This is really helpful! 

Suran: We'll see if we can organize our travel to be in the Freiburg area around the 25-26 if you'll still be around (it's the weekend before EF).  We could possibly do this first, around the 18-19, but we'll keep you posted. 

Ragear: I've heard of Karlsruhe!  It's where the German Shepherd Dog originated!  I'm guessing, though, that there is no exhibit about that, is there?  I'll look the city up-- thanks!  Heidelburg I've been to: you're right, it's beautiful.  Also thanks for the link to the marionette theater! 

Nuremburg: I'm sold. 

Henreike: thanks for the info on the Berlin zoos!

Suran

• Pawpet Show
    • YiffyToys.de®
« Reply #9 on: 05.08.2012, 15:16:43 »

I should be there both weekends.
Maybe busy doing last shipping+printing and casting "certain body parts" on saturdays before noon but free afterwards.
Fursuiter (2 Suits).

Ragear

• Pawpet Show
  • Ragear the Lion
« Reply #10 on: 05.08.2012, 20:13:24 »

didn't know that the german sherperd originated here, been living here for just 12 years, haha. Always something new every day. But there doesn't seem to be an exhibit about this fact, so no reason to come here :-) wish you fun over here!

Ragear

Suran

• Pawpet Show
    • YiffyToys.de®
« Reply #11 on: 05.08.2012, 21:05:20 »

I think with Karlsruhe Lance is referring to a specific one. ;)
Fursuiter (2 Suits).

Rapante

• General Staff
« Reply #12 on: 05.08.2012, 22:45:23 »

Horse farm.  To look at spectacular horses.  Friesisns would be neat to see.  Another person recommended the Lipizzaners, but aren't they Spanish??

Actually the Lippizaner is an austrian breed. You can see them at the "Spanische (spanish) Hofreitschule", which is located in Vienna, Austria. The place, where all of these beautiful horses are bred, is the national horse breeding farm at Piber, Austria.
The Frisian is a race, which is oringinally bred in the Netherlands. The ones you can see here at Germany are really just "lame excuses" for a Frisian.

If you are travelling to Nuremberg, maybe you want to make a short stop near Stuttgart at the "Landgestüt Marbach" - they breed a really genuine draft-horse, the "Schwarzwälder" and are famous for their beautiful Thorougbred Arabians.
https://www.landwirtschaft-bw.info/servlet/PB/menu/1261603_l1/index1228751744535.html?showOnlyChilds=true&showChildsFor=1261603
https://www.landwirtschaft-bw.info/servlet/PB/menu/1261603_l1/index1228751744535.html?showOnlyChilds=true&showChildsFor=1261603
Here is the englisch website of the "Landgestüt Marbach":
https://www.landwirtschaft-bw.info/servlet/PB/menu/1196171/index.html
"
Germany - especially the south of Germany - is famous for a lot of different (beautiful) draft-horse-races like the "Schwarzwälder", the "Süddeutsche Kaltblut" and the "Noriker". Sadly, one of the bigger traditional events, where you could meet a lot of those beautiful horses, is right on the EF-Weekend.

Pages: [1]   Go Up