Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conbook  (Read 21350 times)

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
Re: Conbook
« Reply #15 on: 10.09.2012, 16:53:50 »

[...] with this type of binding.

intriguing... :}

4 or 8 pages more (I forgot) at this paper weight, and we'd need to shift to glue binding (like the Heat magazines). That would not only cost us the wraparound cover and the centerfold in their current form, but is also inherently weaker. I don't want to picture glue coming loose and con book pages flying all over the place... no way! (Okay, I am exaggerating, but a con book needs to take more rough handling than a magazine, so it's better to stay with the sturdy alternative.)

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: 10.09.2012, 17:01:15 »

But seriously, I would like to know what parts of the con book are most interesting? Were the new seating and panel plans successful, even with those pesky last minute changes? Who reads the advertising? Did we hit the spot with GoH and Charity pages? Would the timetables be more useful earlier in the book? Are there events you'd like to be spotlighted? Does the book help you in your decision which panels to visit?

Let's put some javascript in next time to track people's page impressions! Oh ... wait ....
yours,

Cheetah

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #17 on: 10.09.2012, 17:07:14 »

Let's put some javascript in next time to track people's page impressions! Oh ... wait ....

Yay, fully electronic interactive con book! ... Feh, now we got an app already...

Gero

« Reply #18 on: 10.09.2012, 17:31:43 »

The most usefull things for me was in order:
-The included pockedsize timetable: Loved to have it in my pocket and read up on where and when event was! Kudos for making one!
-The timetable: Very usefull to see where everything was.
-Event descriptions: Brought more insight on what each event actually was about.
-Maps, specially thoose over the hotell: Its hard to know where everything is elseway, isnt it?
-Basic information section: While theese was mostly fairly basic info its still usefull and important readups, specially for firstimers like myself.

For me you could skip the two or three pages of art show map and descriptions, since Id guess it really could be more usefull to have it posted on the site, rather than in the con book, but thats me. Thoose extra pages would make up for an extra area map around the hotell and maybe a longe description of the pawpet show.

Quincy the Raccoon

• I'm a raccoon... searching for yo trashies!
« Reply #19 on: 12.09.2012, 22:52:27 »

The conbook of this year: one word: AWESOME! Thick, informative and the lists are really useful cuz I did not have a smartphone so I could not download the app.

Also the art is amazing. Especially the one with that LOVELY deer in the middle. I almost want to take it out and frame it. Meh, I rather not, eh? But yeah, awesome stuff and to be honest: I read it now several times and I still can't get my eyes off of it!

Ringtailed bandit, that's what I am :3

Luxen

• The Daily Eurofurence
    • Furry.ch - das Schweizer Furry Portal
« Reply #20 on: 13.09.2012, 21:09:48 »

it's the least useful, and least interesting feature
But seriously, I would like to know what parts of the con book are most interesting? Were the new seating and panel plans successful, even with those pesky last minute changes? Who reads the advertising? Did we hit the spot with GoH and Charity pages? Would the timetables be more useful earlier in the book? Are there events you'd like to be spotlighted? Does the book help you in your decision which panels to visit?
Guest of Honour and Charity should definitely stay in the con book, that's where I look first when I want to find out more about them.

On the other hand, devoting four pages to Fox Amoore (who is not GoH nor had a solo concert) and no editorial content on Eurofurence's own band project was a strange choice of priorities.

Timetables and floor plans are the more useful the less time you have to spend looking for them. So placing them as early as possible in the con book would be a good move, IMO. If not, I'd at least introduce a Table of Contents.
The Daily Eurofurence:
Now all issues available at www.eurofurence.org/EF22/daily

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #21 on: 13.09.2012, 22:07:40 »

Guest of Honour and Charity should definitely stay in the con book, that's where I look first when I want to find out more about them.

I guess throwing them out of the book is no option anyway  ;D

On the other hand, devoting four pages to Fox Amoore (who is not GoH nor had a solo concert) and no editorial content on Eurofurence's own band project was a strange choice of priorities.

Not so much a choice, and not so much priorities. It's more "what I am provided with" (for other people's events) vs. "what I can provide myself" (for editorial content). In this case, the editorial content (the interview) seems a bit overwhelming since it concentrates on a single person instead of a project like Bitter Lake (the editorial content of last year). But that's the nature of the beast. If I get more elaborate descriptions on events, I am happy to print them as well.

You may say, of course, that I might have pushed more for a balanced content, squeezing people for page-long descriptions and perhaps a few photos. You'd be perfectly right. Next year we will most likely drop the articles as well (as we did with the stories the year before), and use the space for longer, more representative event descriptions. Let's see how well the squeezing works ;D

Timetables and floor plans are the more useful the less time you have to spend looking for them. So placing them as early as possible in the con book would be a good move, IMO. If not, I'd at least introduce a Table of Contents.

Another vote for the ToC. I guess we'll need that!

Gero

« Reply #22 on: 13.09.2012, 22:11:10 »

Another vote for a ToC here. would make for much easier to find things.

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #23 on: 13.09.2012, 22:27:19 »

And I guess, no Roman numerals as page numbers anymore  ;D

Quincy the Raccoon

• I'm a raccoon... searching for yo trashies!
« Reply #24 on: 14.09.2012, 08:23:16 »

And I guess, no Roman numerals as page numbers anymore  ;D
NO! It was very confusing. Oh ok, I know the number till 20 but then it goes beyond my knowledge border what concerns roman numbers.
Ringtailed bandit, that's what I am :3

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #25 on: 14.09.2012, 11:13:03 »

It was very confusing. Oh ok, I know the number till 20 but then it goes beyond my knowledge border what concerns roman numbers.

EF! It's educamational!

--  00's  10's   20's     30's       40's     50's  60's
0's         X    XX     XXX     XL          L         LX     
1's  I      XI      XXI      XXXI      XLI      LI      LXI
2's  II     XII     XXII     XXXII     XLII     LII     LXII
3's  III    XIII    XXIII    XXXIII    XLIII    LIII    LXIII
4's  IV    XIV    XXIV    XXXIV    XLIV    LIV    LXIV
5's  V     XV     XXV     XXXV     XLV     LV     LXV
6's  VI    XVI    XXVI    XXXVI    XLVI    LVI    LXVI
7's  VII   XVII   XXVII   XXXVII   XLVII   LVII   LXVII
8's  VIII  XVIII  XXVIII  XXXVIII  XLVIII  LVIII  LXVIII
9's  IX    XIX    XXIX    XXXIX    XLIX    LIX    LXIX

Next year, Maya numbers, if the world hasn't ended, although the latter is probably not a recommendation  ;D
« Last Edit: 14.09.2012, 11:15:56 by Cairyn »

krakendwaggin

• Krakenplex Productions
« Reply #26 on: 14.09.2012, 11:20:30 »

It was very confusing. Oh ok, I know the number till 20 but then it goes beyond my knowledge border what concerns roman numbers.

EF! It's educamational!

--  00's  10's   20's     30's       40's     50's  60's
0's         X    XX     XXX     XL          L         LX     
1's  I      XI      XXI      XXXI      XLI      LI      LXI
2's  II     XII     XXII     XXXII     XLII     LII     LXII
3's  III    XIII    XXIII    XXXIII    XLIII    LIII    LXIII
4's  IV    XIV    XXIV    XXXIV    XLIV    LIV    LXIV
5's  V     XV     XXV     XXXV     XLV     LV     LXV
6's  VI    XVI    XXVI    XXXVI    XLVI    LVI    LXVI
7's  VII   XVII   XXVII   XXXVII   XLVII   LVII   LXVII
8's  VIII  XVIII  XXVIII  XXXVIII  XLVIII  LVIII  LXVIII
9's  IX    XIX    XXIX    XXXIX    XLIX    LIX    LXIX

Next year, Maya numbers, if the world hasn't ended, although the latter is probably not a recommendation  ;D

Haha, I've known roman numerals since I was very young, so i had no issues with the page numbers ^_^

Henrieke

• Pawpet Show
    • FA page
« Reply #27 on: 14.09.2012, 11:54:17 »

That would be dandy! I forgot the Wifi-password (I wrote it down but ofcourse... forgot where) and digging through the entire book to find it took quite a bit.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up