Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you still remember the Youth Hostel in Nuremberg?  (Read 5637 times)

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator

This is what happened to the beautiful medieval style location that hosted Eurofurence 11 (Songs of the Old Ags) and 12 (Hounds of Blackwhite Castle):

It was obvious that it needed some rework - we all remember the interesting problems with warm water supply in the upper floors, and the broken elevator, and the less than modern bedrooms with only cold water and communcal showers. But what did they do? They got themselves a star architect, and they now want to be "Europe's Most Modern Youth Hostel" - which in all is more like a three star hotel.

See for yourself - I think it's understandable, that modernisation doesn't mean returning it to the state it was in the late 70s, when it was last refurbished. But that they also largely removed the wonderful "main ballroom" that we had all our wonderful stage events in, with its wonderful medieval flair of bricks and stone pillars, replacing with something that more resembles an executive meeting room barely half its size, that I can't really like, no matter how much I want to. Too many nostalgic memories are tied to this place, which now no longer exists. *sigh* Kinda sad.

See more photos from the remoddeling here:

http://www.kaiserstallung-nuernberg.de/umbaufotos/

« Last Edit: 10.01.2013, 22:28:32 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah

Ralesk

Re: Do you still remember the Youth Hostel in Nuremberg?
« Reply #1 on: 10.01.2013, 23:34:27 »

I've been wanting to go back there for too long, probably should have done so a few years ago.  The internals look so extremely out of place.  And the JH's own site has a little slideshow about the planned interior; there's the main staircase with all that glass all over it — such a thing has no place in a medieval building >:(

It's even worse that I lost all my EF photos from 2006 (with all my photos from my 2009 trip to Germany), so there's not much personal stuff to look back on besides what comes up in my head at random times.

That said, memories:
  • During EF11, I helped out in the registration queue, but I'm not exactly sure what I was doing, something related to the room keys perhaps.  I remember trying to thank everyone in their native language :)
  • Doco being specially presented his XXXXXX(i dunno)L T-Shirt during the opening ceremony. (EF12)
  • Barbecues done by us, for us!
  • The home-made barcode reading box to read the attendees' food cards so nobody cheats with food.
  • "This isn't Twix, this is UNIX!" (on the JH giving us this one-bar Twix chocolate for dessert)
  • The skin flesh body piercing high pressure showers.  Yes, even on the 7th floor.
  • Stilts!  I mean, those mecha leg things that make you bouncy.  Looked extremely dangerous on that cobblestone at the back entrance.
  • Meeting 2 in the flesh for the first time — anyone remembers that he had longish hair?
  • Amadhi having a drawing class for a SIG.
  • Relatedly, single-side conbadges.  There's one good use for them: collecting GoH signatures on the back :D
  • Onkel Kage's periodic table tie.  I still want one ;D
  • The unforgettable Heather Alexander being an important element in that year's paw pet show, with the epic music battle at the end, resulting in a broken string that didn't really bother her playing.  He's still a cool guy :)
  • Last, but not least, Opa and Oma Kage's 50th anniversary.  Made me cry.  Well nay, I get teary in the eyes any single time I mention that event.  They're wonderful people and I'm so glad to know them.
« Last Edit: 10.01.2013, 23:49:00 by Ralesk »
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

Sairys

« Reply #2 on: 21.01.2013, 10:20:29 »

darn it :/ I always wanted to go there since people talked highly of the memories they made there, looks so so un-medieval now

Drift

• Art Show
« Reply #3 on: 25.01.2013, 13:50:08 »

Everytime when that particular EF is mentioned I could bite my tail for having not been involved in furryfandom/EF before, cause I live in Nürnberg and have visited the Hostel quite often. Well, before they started reconstruction, taht is.
My favourite at the hostel was the gallery of huge oil paintings, showing the "evolution" of Nürnberg. Nicely painted, telling about the major stepping stones in nürnbergian history.

lynard

• Pawpeteer
  • Pawpet Show
  • Lynard (by Dragony)
    • My FA Page
« Reply #4 on: 27.01.2013, 20:36:41 »

• Last, but not least, Opa and Oma Kage's 50th anniversary.  Made me cry.  Well nay, I get teary in the eyes any single time I mention that event.  They're wonderful people and I'm so glad to know them.
Something from my Treasure Box - I will remember this moment, it touched my heart deeply.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: [1]   Go Up