Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is "Jaywalking" allowed in Germany?  (Read 49556 times)

VulpesRex

Is "Jaywalking" allowed in Germany?
« on: 01.02.2013, 08:02:14 »

I was just reviewing the announcement regarding the InterCityHotel as the official overflow hotel (I made a reservation for there last week),...and I noticed that the aerial view showing the canid furry travelling between the ICH and the Maritim, crossing the street in the middle of the block.

I've done this; I suspect that everyone attending EuroFURence has done this.  But I wonder - is this actually allowed in most German cities?  Are there any regulations or ordinances which require people crossing the streets to only do so at street corners or designated crosswalks?

In the United States, this is called "Jay-walking" (I have no idea how that name came about), and in most large cities with lots of auto traffic, it is an infraction, for which you may be tiecketed, and compelled to pay a fine at the courthouse.  It is not commonly enforced, but a police officer has the option at his discretion to do so, if given a reason to; and in locations where there have been a spate of auto-vs-pedestrian accidents (...or in towns facing bugetary problems and needing a boost to the general operating fund...) they will do so, as a safety-enforcement/safety-awareness issue.
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Riox

Re: Is "Jaywalking" allowed in Germany?
« Reply #1 on: 01.02.2013, 09:48:32 »

Jaywalking by itself is not illegal. You might get a ticket if you have to jump over barriers or fences to cross the road or hinder the regular traffic with your actions. I'd suggest a healthy portion of common sense.

Maybe someone who knows the location from personal experience can shed some light on the traffic situation.

PS: Never been fined for that nor do I know anyone who was.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 01.02.2013, 10:13:15 »

The official version is:

§ 25 StVO - Fußgänger

"(3) Fußgänger haben Fahrbahnen unter Beachtung des Fahrzeugverkehrs zügig auf dem kürzesten Weg quer zur Fahrtrichtung zu überschreiten, und zwar, wenn die Verkehrslage es erfordert, nur an Kreuzungen oder Einmündungen, an Lichtzeichenanlagen innerhalb von Markierungen oder auf Fußgängerüberwegen (Zeichen 293). Wird die Fahrbahn an Kreuzungen oder Einmündungen überschritten, so sind dort angebrachte Fußgängerüberwege oder Markierungen an Lichtzeichenanlagen stets zu benutzen."

which roughly translates to:

Traffic Code §25 - Pedestrians

"(3) Pedestrians must cross roadways always in a speedy manner, using the shortest way orthogonally to the driving direction. If the traffic situation requires it, the crossing must be restricted to intersections, T-Junctions, marked crossings at traffic lights or zebra crossings. When crossing at an Intersection or T-Junction, the street markings and traffic lights must be obeyed."

Which is both a bit confusing, and rather vague. The interpretation that is usually agreed upon is that it's fine to cross where ever you want, unless you're close to an official crossing or traffic light, or crossing the street would cause a dangerous situation.

yours,

Cheetah

Gyroplast

• H.C. Chief of Security
  • Convention Security Operative
« Reply #3 on: 01.02.2013, 10:15:41 »

Pedestrian traffic is regulated by §25 and §26 StVO, and mostly codifies what one would consider common sense. Cross the bloody road in a straight line, don't bumble about, don't run head-first into full traffic. Pedestrians crossing a red light may be fined 5€, or 10€ if their malovelent street-crossing rampage causes any damage to property. I'm not even kidding. See BKatV, Lfd. Nr. 130ff. Of course that's in German only, sorry.

To sum things up: There is no regulation explicitly prohibiting jaywalking, but there is a 5€ fine for crossing a red light as a pedestrian. There is no "acceptable distance of a traffic light" known to me which would require you by law to use it instead of just crossing the road. You may never cross a road if you have to step over/under any chains or other objects blocking access to the road. Those are there for a reason.

On the way from the train station/overflow hotel, there's a large-ish road to cross (the Otto-von-Guericke-Str.), with traffic lights being only a few dozen meters off. It is rather common to cross this road "jaywalking style", and relatively safe to do so. All the cool kids are doing it.  :P An overzealous cop MAY approach you for a lecture, though, if he considers the traffic lights down the road to be "close enough", though. If you want to take this to court, feel free, otherwise just stick to walking the ~30m extra to the nearest crossing, and feel good about yourself doing the right thing. ;)

Give a man a fish, cats will pester him for a day. Teach a man to fish, cats will plague him for a lifetime.

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #4 on: 01.02.2013, 10:39:52 »

To be fair if you go the other way to the station there's the tram tracks and bus areas where things are rather mixed in with the pedestrian areas. I never encountered a problem crossing all that to get some pictures with the police. Except the police dog that took exception to a large furry police dog wandering around.
More is more.

Rush_Lion

« Reply #5 on: 01.02.2013, 14:58:32 »

To sum things up: There is no regulation explicitly prohibiting jaywalking, but there is a 5€ fine for crossing a red light as a pedestrian.

Wow, you Germans and your low fines.. it's 45€ here in NL for walking a red light. And it IS enforced.

djem

• Stage Team
« Reply #6 on: 01.02.2013, 15:54:14 »

#Not Serious

I would cross the road like that in front of the police, 5e is quite cheap and offers you a unique souvenir from your trip to Eurofurence :)

Drift

• Art Show
« Reply #7 on: 03.02.2013, 18:34:10 »

#Not Serious

I would cross the road like that in front of the police, 5e is quite cheap and offers you a unique souvenir from your trip to Eurofurence :)

I wonder if they would fine s.b. in a fur suit? Or where they would expect the walker would keep his money?  ;)

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 03.02.2013, 21:02:02 »

I wonder if they would fine s.b. in a fur suit? Or where they would expect the walker would keep his money?  ;)

If you provoke a police officer, they can not only fine you, but seriously ruin your day. So don't be stupid, okay?
yours,

Cheetah

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #9 on: 04.02.2013, 00:01:25 »

If you provoke a police officer, they can not only fine you, but seriously ruin your day. So don't be stupid, okay?

I can vouch for this from experience in the police, it's seriously not worth even trying. Nobody likes to be shown up and the police will not tolerate it.
More is more.

Gyroplast

• H.C. Chief of Security
  • Convention Security Operative
« Reply #10 on: 04.02.2013, 10:31:04 »

I can vouch for this from experience in the police, it's seriously not worth even trying. Nobody likes to be shown up and the police will not tolerate it.

On the other hand, if you treat a police officer with due respect, stay level-headed, calm, and understanding, they usually will not bother with fining you for such minor infractions. I have personally gotten away from paying a few fines where I would not have me let get off the hook that easily myself.  ;D

Just keep in mind that the police tends to be right about what they're saying, are not out to get you, and are paid really badly for all the stuff they have to put up with during their daily job. A smile always helps instead of being a smart-ass.

That being said, stick to the little green men showing you where to cross the road, or keep a fiver with you at all times.  :P
Give a man a fish, cats will pester him for a day. Teach a man to fish, cats will plague him for a lifetime.

Furvan

• Fursuit Support
  • Pawpet Show
    • Waschkatze
« Reply #11 on: 04.02.2013, 12:44:04 »

That being said, stick to the little green men showing you where to cross the road, or keep a fiver with you at all times.  :P

Reawakes an old thought "Shall have a Fursuiter a legal ID with him when he is far outside of the Con ?"
I like todo, but its got me just as an interesting question how this is handled in general.
Officer Meow!
King of the unfinished
Lord of Animatronic =^.^=

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 04.02.2013, 16:35:10 »

Reawakes an old thought "Shall have a Fursuiter a legal ID with him when he is far outside of the Con ?"

Legally, you are not required to carry an ID with you at any time. It can make things a lot easier if you do, though. Because the police has the right to determine your identity at any time, and if you have an ID ready just in case, that'll speed things up considerably.
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: [1]   Go Up