Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EF-19 Computer modeling / Animation (Blender)  (Read 7715 times)

ANTIcarrot

• Loquacious pawpet show reviewer
    • FA - ANTIcarrot
EF-19 Computer modeling / Animation (Blender)
« on: 15.02.2013, 00:52:36 »

Early planning for a CGI tutorial in EF19. Blender because it's free, is ridiculously powerful, and will run on pretty much anything. Which is kinda of a problem, since if it can do anything what do I pick?

So... Who'd be interested in this, and what would you like to see?

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
Re: EF-19 Computer modeling / Animation (Blender)
« Reply #1 on: 15.02.2013, 10:46:23 »

I approve! And with everything at a convention, starting at the beginner level is usually best. And with blender, I think what puts off most people is that it is unintuitive as hell. So how about focussing on the user interface, and the concepts of the underlying workflow?
yours,

Cheetah

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #2 on: 15.02.2013, 13:41:26 »

So... Who'd be interested in this, and what would you like to see?

Yes, make it very basic and keep to some central points. My beginner's lecture last year turned out to be too crammed even though I tried to stay on the surface of things - 3D is just that broad a field. I would recommend making lots of examples and follow-through workflow. Like:

1. What are the basic concepts? Stick to modeling, simple texturing, getting a render out of the system.
2. Demo: Where do I find what in Blender? How do I handle the tree, do I work with drag & drop a lot? Which menus are most basic?
3. One simple model: From box to head (or something). Have some pre-made inbetween stages ready to show.
4. Executing texturing with plain color and simple patterns.
5. Get it lighted and rendered, only basic options!

If there is time, get some animation basics in it.

Do not (if going with a beginner's lesson):
1. Start with sculpting, fluids, specialties of Cycles (that would be a full lecture each)
2. Any complex animation. You can mention joints and IK, but I believe this would be too much stuff for beginners.
3. Anything that will require a deeper understanding as precondition. No matrices or gimbal lock issues  ;)

We probably need a yearly introduction to 3D in order to generate more interest in the topic.  ;D

Alternatively, you could do some specific lecture. I think about doing facial expression and animation myself this year, perhaps including speech and lip syncronization, hopefully on a level that can generate some interest even from non-3D people.

Specifics, though, always have these two issues: Not yet enough people in the fandom with 3D basic knowledge and skills, and too narrowly focused to attract interest from people who are not already familiar with the foundation. The best specific lecture IMHO would be balanced between the details of the field (knowledge) and the flashy show effects that result (entertainment).

So many topics possible...

Argy

« Reply #3 on: 14.03.2013, 18:18:56 »

Also I can suggest to talk about Games creation. As a specific questions - Possibilities of game engines, Full process of game production, "What you must know for own game creation", UDK or Cryzis engine, Introduction to game design and etc.
If I handle with time, I'll try to make little game level with  characters and game logic and present it for everyone. At least I must try to finish it for our domestic furrence, where i'll be lead masterclass.

Basil Lion

• Fursuit support
    • WUFF
« Reply #4 on: 16.03.2013, 00:58:36 »

Go-go, Argy!
I'd like to see this event on EF. ^_^
[skype: basil_lion] [telegram: basil_lion] [twitter: basil_lion]

Atalon

• Anthrocreation Costumes
« Reply #5 on: 08.08.2013, 07:40:23 »

Anticarrot - I will be with you if you do a panel - I using Blender as Modelling tool
Fursuit maker since 1999
MLP and Cusom Suits as wanted

Ziggy_wolf

• Hail Satan
« Reply #6 on: 10.08.2013, 11:49:54 »

What I would like to see is a simple tutorial on how to make a simple static object and export that as a .obj wavefont for further use in other programs.
I had nothing to do with either the three little pigs or little red riding hood. Honestly I`m a nice guy, who just happens to love pork, and hooded women. It was all a misunderstanding, I swear!
Pages: [1]   Go Up