Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The "Island"  (Read 10328 times)

MrEvers

• The dandy Belgian fox
    • FurryFandom.be
The "Island"
« on: 07.02.2013, 01:02:00 »

I don't have any Hawaii related clothes, but I do have a Dharma Initiative Jumpsuit
Lost was recorded in Hawaii.

Would that be appropriate?
FurryFandom.be

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
Re: The "Island"
« Reply #1 on: 07.02.2013, 01:51:23 »

Since there is no Rule Of Conduct prohibiting jumpsuits, I guess it's in order :)

The question might be, how many people will "get" this kind of in-joke. I can't answer that for you, I'm afraid :)
yours,

Cheetah

Drachetto

• Drachetto's FA page
« Reply #2 on: 08.02.2013, 08:57:29 »

I'll get it, I love 'Lost'! <3 Nice idea ^^
"Fluffyness is happyness!"

Tekumseh

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #3 on: 11.02.2013, 19:03:29 »

I don't like LOST - seriously - I've never watched a single episode, so that joke wouldn't work with me at all *g*
In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man, as modest stillnesse, and humilitie. (Shakespeare)

VulpesRex

« Reply #4 on: 12.02.2013, 10:33:09 »

I don't have any Hawaii related clothes, but I do have a Dharma Initiative Jumpsuit
Lost was recorded in Hawaii.

Would that be appropriate?

Considering that "LOST" was supposed to have a Sci-Fi/suspense/horror theme, and isn't actually "set" in Hawaii (although it was filmed there), I wouldn't really see the point.  Mysterious, scary tropical island does not equal Polynesian/Hawaiian atmosphere.

Before the final season of the show, some of the "LOST" production staff attended LOSCON - a Los Angeles-based Science Fiction convention - and threw a "Dharma Initiative" themed room party, with the appropriately labelled jumpsuits and labcoats, and mock-business signs with the corporate logo.  They had one of the larger suites on the party floor - but their decorations and refreshments were uninspiring, and the party mood was rather flat.  It was kind of a downer, actually - and of course, those attendees who were ardent "LOST" fans wanted to know what was going to happen in the upcoming season...and the production people weren't allowed to reveal anything.  Many idle con attendees cruising through the party didn't make the connection between "Dharma Initiative" and "LOST", so whatever impact that the party hosts had hoped to make on the local SciFi fannish community (remember, this is Los Angeles - "Hollywood" - so many of the "fans" were established authors, screenwriters, a producer or two, and even some actors) was...well,...lost.

Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

MrEvers

• The dandy Belgian fox
    • FurryFandom.be
« Reply #5 on: 12.02.2013, 16:49:23 »

Well, it's not like I'm planning to wear it all the time.

I don't like LOST - seriously - I've never watched a single episode, so that joke wouldn't work with me at all *g*

How can you passionately hate something you know nothing about?
FurryFandom.be

Tekumseh

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #6 on: 13.02.2013, 00:29:10 »

Follow the link and maybe you'll get what I don't like - it was not the TV-series I meant. I just never watched an episode, so any reference is useless for me and I would look rather puzzled. Maybe my interpunctation was not the best to make that point, so the joke I made might have been ... lost *g*

In peace, there's nothing so becomes a man, as modest stillnesse, and humilitie. (Shakespeare)

Xar

« Reply #7 on: 13.02.2013, 17:46:56 »

Am I the only one who immediately thought about this and wondered what was the connection with Hawaii and EF? ^^'

MrEvers

• The dandy Belgian fox
    • FurryFandom.be
« Reply #8 on: 13.02.2013, 18:40:00 »

I say we exploit any sci-fi connections with islands.  ;D
FurryFandom.be

Gyroplast

• H.C. Chief of Security
  • Convention Security Operative
« Reply #9 on: 14.02.2013, 15:12:16 »

This thread reminds me of an anecdote.

A biology teacher tasked the class to write an essay on elephants. One of the pupils didn't particularly like elephants, and didn't know much about them, either. However, this person really knew a lot about ticks! So, the essay delivered by this pupil began with: "Elephants are large mammals with thick, wrinkled skin. In certain places, various kinds of ticks manage to take hold in folds of the skin. One particular species of tick found on elephants is [...]", continuing with a detailed, very informative essay on ticks, their metabolism and life cycle. Much to the dismay of the teacher, who really wanted to honor the well-researched and nicely written essay, it still had to be formally graded as an F. No matter how well done the essay was, it still totally missed the point.
Give a man a fish, cats will pester him for a day. Teach a man to fish, cats will plague him for a lifetime.

Drachetto

• Drachetto's FA page
« Reply #10 on: 14.02.2013, 16:06:45 »

Am I the only one who immediately thought about this and wondered what was the connection with Hawaii and EF? ^^'

Reading the title, I had thought that too before entered the thread ^^
"Fluffyness is happyness!"

VulpesRex

« Reply #11 on: 14.02.2013, 16:37:57 »

This thread reminds me of an anecdote.

A biology teacher tasked the class to write an essay on elephants. One of the pupils didn't particularly like elephants, and didn't know much about them, either...Much to the dismay of the teacher, who really wanted to honor the well-researched and nicely written essay, it still had to be formally graded as an F. No matter how well done the essay was, it still totally missed the point.

So - you are saying that, for the pupil, the whole point of the essay was...lost?   ;)
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 15.02.2013, 10:44:04 »

Okay, I think the public opinion is pretty much clear on this one now: Nobody will be offended, but not many will see a connection to the actual theme either. I'll close this topic now because it's really getting off topic by now :)
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: [1]   Go Up