Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bread, Cheese and Wine - cancled  (Read 8416 times)

SenGrisane

• Charity
    • My FA account
Bread, Cheese and Wine - cancled
« on: 23.04.2013, 10:29:37 »

I was very surprised by the many people that showed up to the wine sampling last year. I guess I underestimated the attractive power of alcohol. ^^
Talking about the wine was also not as I expected, but it seems fun was had by all.

In any case I was asked if there was bread or cheese to go with the wine which I had to deny. So I thought, maybe this year we could turn this whole event into simply a social gathering rather than an actual panel (even though I hope we get a room from the con staff).
Basically everyone either brings wine (or similiar) or something that goes with wine (bread, cheese or whatever you eat to wine in your country).

Since last time a lot of the wine I brought was left over, I will only bring 1-2 bottles this time, but since many mentioned they wanted to do it again next year I hope there will be enough contributions. Also I didn't get a room in the Maritim this year so hauling around tons of wine would be hard for me.

Oh and if someone could bring wine glasses that would be cool too. Plastic cups are not ideal for wine ^^

And from the date. If it works out I though maybe set it on the first day (after the welcome ceremony)? There is not much happening on the first day and other than a room with tables we don't need anything. Also the bread would get hard if the panel is later at the con and many arrive one day early.
« Last Edit: 06.06.2013, 08:36:50 by SenGrisane »

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
Re: Bread, Cheese and Wine
« Reply #1 on: 23.04.2013, 12:03:21 »

We need to be careful not to create a political problem with the hotel. We did not get any complaints about the snack exchange and the wine tasting in the last years - although both are technically a violation of their terms and services. So they're pretty tolerant - which makes sense, sales at the bar are pretty good, and it wouldn't gain them anything to start a fuss and strain our good relationship. That doesn't mean there's a guarantee though  - it's an act of good will. And that means, we should be considerate. If they get the impression that we're "serving" food and drinks, they will charge us for it. There's actually a price list with the penalties that is part of our contract - and they are based on their restaurant prices.

My personal feeling is that we'll get away as long as it's all a "sampling" or "tasting" and nothing that gives the impression of posing competition to the bar, the restaurants, or their food/concession stands. So whatever you are planning, please keep that in mind.
yours,

Cheetah

SenGrisane

• Charity
    • My FA account
« Reply #2 on: 30.04.2013, 12:23:00 »

I basically planned it the same way as last time only that people can bring wine or bread.
However you guys were quite nervous last year, so a change might not be a bad idea.

So how about we make this an informal meeting outside of the hotel? We could agree to a public place with some benches and have a simple hello with drinks and snacks.
I hope there are no rules against drinking in a public place in Germany.

SenGrisane

• Charity
    • My FA account
« Reply #3 on: 06.06.2013, 08:36:36 »

Well, I won't have time to organize this anyway. I got my hands full with Anthrocon and some other project I wanna bring.

Ralesk

« Reply #4 on: 17.08.2013, 02:06:04 »

I basically planned it the same way as last time only that people can bring wine or bread.
However you guys were quite nervous last year, so a change might not be a bad idea.

So how about we make this an informal meeting outside of the hotel? We could agree to a public place with some benches and have a simple hello with drinks and snacks.
I hope there are no rules against drinking in a public place in Germany.

Very late into this, and completely missed the "cancelled" part until now.  But...  Is anyone else still interested?

What about the small park thing behind the hotel?  How much is it still hotel premises?  Technically, it could be done there — given that it isn't forbidden to drink in public, and that the hotel doesn't mind (then again, it also isn't in a well noticeable place).

In any case, I will be bringing some home-made wine (from a family friend in Sopron).
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #5 on: 17.08.2013, 09:08:37 »

What about the small park thing behind the hotel?  How much is it still hotel premises? 
You could call the hotel and ask.

given that it isn't forbidden to drink in public
As long as you don't bother others with bad behaviour, noise or leaving heaps of rubbish, that shouldn't be a problem. There is no law against drinking in public.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #6 on: 17.08.2013, 12:05:11 »

What about the small park thing behind the hotel?  How much is it still hotel premises?

Drinking in public is not forbidden in Germany (even though some cities keep trying...), but:

The backyard of the hotel belongs to the hotel (up to the street, AFAIK), and the hotel will mind if you are sitting down there drinking alcoholic beverages. Also, the neighbors will mind if you are doing that on the space (parking lot) left of the hotel. Thus, please don't.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Ralesk

Re: Bread, Cheese and Wine - cancled
« Reply #7 on: 17.08.2013, 12:14:52 »

Okay, thanks for clearing that up!
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk
Pages: [1]   Go Up