Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vanity License Plates  (Read 6556 times)

datgingercat

Vanity License Plates
« on: 02.06.2013, 12:34:33 »

I want your licence plate :D
« Last Edit: 03.06.2013, 22:48:01 by Cheetah »

PATROL

• Convention Security Operative
  • Roads? How boring!
Re: Look who has come to visit me!
« Reply #1 on: 02.06.2013, 22:43:55 »

Make your own one! Although I don't know how you'd put it on a plate..  :-\  :)

VulpesRex

« Reply #2 on: 03.06.2013, 00:10:30 »

Make your own one! Although I don't know how you'd put it on a plate..  :-\  :)

In most states in the USA one can, for an additional annual fee, pay for a "vanity plate" (or officially, a "personalised vehicle license plate", which you may keep and even transfer from vehicle to vehicle, when you sell your old car and buy a new car...provided, of course, that you continue to pay the extra fee to that state's Motor Vehicle Department.

But each plate must be unique; no one else within your state's boundaries can have the exact same design or letter/number combination.  Also, whatever you choose to have stamped into your plate, must pass certain standards for taste and public decency, and not be something which might be calculated to intentionally give offence.  State bureaucrats actually examine each request, to see if it might violate this rule, including through "Mirror Spelling" or homonym meanings.  Sometimes, though - if the choice is particularly clever or witty - things "slip by", and I'm not at all sure that this is by simple mistake.  Of course, if members of the public complain, then the state has to do something about it.

*Puzzled*  But why would you want a "personalised" license plate associated with or bearing the name of someone else?  ???
« Last Edit: 03.06.2013, 00:13:59 by VulpesRex »
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

PATROL

• Convention Security Operative
  • Roads? How boring!
« Reply #3 on: 03.06.2013, 10:15:15 »

Yeah I know. It is very similar in Slovenia too. You can get one if you pay for it and you can keep it if you switch to another vehicle. The population of the entire country is only about 2 million, so it's not difficult to find something that hasn't been taken yet.

Anyway, what I meant with my comment was, how would datgingercat shorten his name to fit on a licence plate? "ginger" "dg-cat"? In any case, I love personalized number plates! I think I'll get one when I decide to buy a car again.

datgingercat

« Reply #4 on: 03.06.2013, 20:29:53 »

*Puzzled*  But why would you want a "personalised" license plate associated with or bearing the name of someone else?  ???

I actually didn't mean exactly HIS plate, just a personalised one.  ;) And just like Patrol said, it's possible to get them in Slovenia as well (and as far as I know you only pay a one time additional fee, for making the plate, once you have it, there aren't any additional costs).
Only problem is, I'm still sharing my car and the questions would probably be endless  :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up