Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parcels  (Read 8487 times)

Indigo

• You laugh now but wait till you get home!
Parcels
« on: 21.07.2013, 21:24:19 »

I have Commissioned a suit and its behind schedule, he put people go to other cons ahead of me and now he is running out of time himself to do mine and get it to mine with very little time for this con >:(. Its my first ever suit and my first ever con and since i have given the maker so much time i am disappointed. I'm in the uk and to get a 10 day working delivery here costs about $100 (he is in the US) the funny thing is, is that to get it sent to germany within 3 to 5 working days cost the same amount. and they do not provide that service to the uk! Is it possible that if he does not meet the deadline I could get it sent to the hotel, Im sure import taxes would also be a lot less too! I am not committed to this idea and i am willing to give up on bringing the whole suit if things do not get done soon. however it was just a thougt I had.

I will talk to the hotel at some point (probably will be some kind of fee if i bother with this), however i just want to get the opinion from some people here (feel free to knock some sense into me!)! :)

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
Re: Parcels
« Reply #1 on: 21.07.2013, 21:59:17 »

You'd still need to pay the charges on arrival of the parcel in Germany and would be reliant on not only their customs, but also the parcel company to notify you. FedEx didn't tell me about a suit delivery for three days despite me prompting them. Ask him about the three day USPS service with a three day delivery or a refund. It's more expensive, but gets it there.
More is more.

Indigo

« Reply #2 on: 21.07.2013, 22:05:54 »

He uses USPS anyway!

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #3 on: 21.07.2013, 22:08:36 »

That's odd, this is the service I've had used for me https://www.usps.com/ship/gxg.htm
More is more.

Indigo

« Reply #4 on: 21.07.2013, 22:18:40 »

Express Mail® International is 3-5 and costs about $106.60, Global Express Guaranteed® (GXG) is the 3 day one and its over $250, I really cant afford that. Hopefully he can mail it via Express Mail about 5 to 7 days before to be safe.

Kamikaze

• Classy as Cheese!
« Reply #5 on: 21.07.2013, 23:38:27 »

be careful.
You might have to pick your suit up at the customs. and they'll charge you for it (depends on the price of the fursuit).
there is no guarantee that USPS will forward it to the hotel. im most cases you have to go to the customs.
Nothing to read here...

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #6 on: 22.07.2013, 14:20:40 »

I can not recommend sending commercial goods to the hotel from abroad, to be picked up later.

The package will end up in Customs.
Customs will only keep it for a few days (I think it was a week) so if it arrives early and you cannot pick it up in time, and the hotel doesn't pick it up for you, it will be sent back or destroyed (depending on customs instructions).

If the price is beyond a very small sum, you will need to pay customs. There may be a special customs fee, and/or sales tax (19%!!!) to pay, depending on the category of the goods.

To determine the price, the package needs to include an official bill. If no bill is included on the outside, they expect a bill inside (you are required to open the package). If there is no bill inside either, you need to present the bill the manufacturer sent you separately, or a PayPal account statement on this transaction, or some other kind of proof on the total sum.
You may be able to reclaim the sales tax if you export the suit again to your homeland, but good luck with figuring that out.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #7 on: 22.07.2013, 15:40:54 »

You may be able to reclaim the sales tax if you export the suit again to your homeland, but good luck with figuring that out.

And worse, British customs may interpret it in a way that you are trying to import the suit from the US and ask you to pay UK taxes and duties on it. Thus you may end up with the hassle to pay UK customs AND trying to get back your money from Germany. It's cheaper, safer and less hassle to get it sent to your home address by express with a parcel service that allows tracking even when the package crosses international borders.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Indigo

« Reply #8 on: 22.07.2013, 23:50:29 »

Sales vat is like 20% in the UK anyway but there are so many risks that have been brought up here that i wont bother sending to Germany, express shipping to Germany is the same price as just normal shipping to the UK with USPS. I cant really afford any other postage options to the UK. If worst comes to worst i will just get it when i go home! X3

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #9 on: 26.07.2013, 17:54:34 »

As long as it's imported and duty paid in the EU it's fine. All you have to do is keep a copy of the invoice and the payment of it as they will be separate documents. You can't pay double duty on an import which is a good thing really.
More is more.

Indigo

« Reply #10 on: 19.08.2013, 13:47:57 »

Got sent here however Parcel force have been prossing it for about a week and after talking with them it seems i will not get it in time!  m( Thanks for the advise though guys! see you soon!
Pages: [1]   Go Up