Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Conbook - feedback and suggestions  (Read 23833 times)

Snow-wolf

• Con Book
Conbook - feedback and suggestions
« on: 28.08.2013, 02:22:21 »

Hello everyone : D

As you may have noticed, there were a few changes within the conbook team this year. Basically we ARE a completly new team and of course tried our best to make a colorful conbook for everyone as guide at the con and memory after the con. Now we are of course curious... how did you like it? :)

Of course suggestions, ideas and also critique are highly welcome, too, just tell us what you think!

Thanks in advance :)

Dhary Montecore

Re: Conbook - feedback and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 28.08.2013, 02:28:19 »

I really loved the new style!

The whole-colour style looks great and the layout is packed but not too dense. I also loved the idea of having the Artists Introductions. I wonder, if it would be fun to do something similar to the credit list as well? Instead of a dull list, we could write a funny one-liner or the like for each person, or at least for the directors. :3

What I didn't like too much was the amount of advertisement. That made the conbook look weird... Maybe you could cut that down a bit? It wasn't all that bad, since the adverts were all furry, but it seemed a bit much in my opinion.

The timetable looks "cleaner" and well arranged as well!

All in all it looks great. Thank you all for the hard work!

Fafnir Kristensen

« Reply #2 on: 28.08.2013, 02:49:18 »

the page numbers to related topics in the timetable was VERY MUCH appreciated, it allowed to very quickly find the details about an event, please do that again!

Kisu

• Mr Panther
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 28.08.2013, 04:01:08 »

I loved that new layout!

The artist introduction popped right out when I read it, awesome addition ^_^

Sadly as usual I did not have the time in reading whole bookie before half con was over :S #busypanthersarebusy

Other thing that got my attention was the maps, yes the maps, well detailed, good contrast and clear. I dont even want to look back the old con books and the maps after these x3

Also the dealer's den listing was great, nice to read what ppl are selling before even going in. Saves time from waiting in line :3
The name 'leopard' may derive from an old notion that leopards were the result of crosses between lions (leo) and panthers (pard).

Fenrikur

• IT Department
  • ~ Art Show & Other Things™ ~ Random Helper Wolf ~
    • Twitter – @Fenrikur
« Reply #4 on: 28.08.2013, 04:27:25 »

Although I find myself unable to notice the changes in this year's conbook simply due to the fact that this was my first Eurofurence, I found it to be rather enjoyable reading and quite useful at the same time.
For somebody who was new to the con, the timetable along with the event descriptions provided a good overview of the variety of panels and other activities throughout the EF, which was supplemented really well with updates made available via the EF-App, which in turn could easily be accessed along with the public WiFi via the 2D barcodes in the conbook.

The commercials mentioned by Dhary were imho few and well integrated and selected enough to not be annoying or distracting from the more important parts of the conbook in any way.
Since they also help to pay for the printing costs of those beautifully colourful, informative and entertaining pages, I think they can easily be tolerated, especially since they are rather unobtrusive (as opposed to those in various other publications I know) and mainly advertise other furry conventions and some other furry things.

One thing, which might have been useful for those who were not privy to the Android/iOS app, would've probably been an additional insert detailling the car parks along with their daily rates around the venue (maybe even along with a little map or integrated into the one on the "show-your-badge" pamphlet).

I for my part am really grateful for all the hard work you guys put into creating this conbook, which was really helpful to me right from the start!
Keep up the good work! :3

Addendum:
Since I apparently took too much time before actually submitting this post, I can also only second what Kisu wrote! (-;
“Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I could be wrong.”
― Terry Pratchett

Lumo

• KittyFox
« Reply #5 on: 28.08.2013, 11:21:22 »

I loved the conbook ^^
But as the head of security said, it was a bit of commercials here and there. Tho i dont mind the commercials or amount of then, rather please have more X3 But i suggest putting the commercials maby close to the end of the conbook, and gather them there, so that those that want to look for something specifik or want a way to reach their beloved artist or what it is about, can look there ^^
That way it wont bother anyone that dont like commercials, and will be easy accessible for those that likes it :3

Miff Miff <3

Pan Hesekiel Shiroi

• Charity Liason
  • Pawpet Show
    • Pan Hesekiel Shiroi - Website
« Reply #6 on: 28.08.2013, 11:27:50 »

I gotta admit that I'm not really that much into comic stuff, but I still found that the conbook was done pretty nicely. I talked to a few people about it everyone said they loved it.
So, what can I say except: Well done! :)

Thygrrr

• Snarf!
« Reply #7 on: 28.08.2013, 11:35:21 »

The conbook is extremely beautiful and there is nothing negative I can say because it was on par with or better than all other conbooks I have seen in some 25 cons now. That said, it's probably the best conbook, very colorful and beautiful.
Thygrrr Darkfurre

Cairyn

• Art Show Director
  • Con Book
  • Fur Stylist
« Reply #8 on: 28.08.2013, 11:38:12 »

About the advertising: We already have planned for a new subdepartment that will take care of advertising applications, and limit the amount. We also may put most of them back on a double-page spread like before, so they won't interfere with the content.

About the credits: A funny one-liner would be nice to have, but seeing that the font is really small already and the credits list is almost two pages long, there would not be room for everybody, and I wouldn't like to single out some people over others.

Question to readers: How about the table of content? Is it useful? Would it be better positioned on the inside cover for easy access?

Question to readers: Since we got a new hotel next year, what do you think is the essential information you'd expect from the con book?

Lumo

• KittyFox
« Reply #9 on: 28.08.2013, 11:48:20 »

Question to readers: How about the table of content? Is it useful? Would it be better positioned on the inside cover for easy access?

Question to readers: Since we got a new hotel next year, what do you think is the essential information you'd expect from the con book?

table of content is indeed useful ^^

And what i think would be essential info next year will be where to go for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And possible a night snack when someone gets the munchies. :P
maby add what type of food they tend to serve there. maby suggest places to go for taking pictures, and if something fun withing walking distance is happening. ^^ Its always useful.
Miff Miff <3

ysegrim

• Superhero
  • Stage Team
« Reply #10 on: 28.08.2013, 11:54:52 »

The whole conbook was great, but a detail I really liked was that the contributing artists got a chance to introduce themselves with an one-liner

Fafnir Kristensen

« Reply #11 on: 28.08.2013, 12:39:15 »

MAPS!
everybody will be lost, so having maps with strategical points of interests (event rooms/exits/passageway/registration/conop/medic/bars/toilets/etc..) is imo the most important.

Thygrrr

• Snarf!
« Reply #12 on: 28.08.2013, 12:44:15 »

Maps.
Thygrrr Darkfurre

Jake R

• Fursuit support
« Reply #13 on: 28.08.2013, 13:31:22 »

Okay maybe this is a stupid idea, but: in addition to maps, is there a way we can add (small) photos of the entrance to rooms etc. in some way? I'm thinking it might be easier to recognize what a place is than just a top-down map. Especially for those who have trouble reading maps, and I know for a fact there's plenty of people like that.

If it won't fit in the conbook (because I know just how hard it can be fitting all information in there), than perhaps the idea is still valid for the website. Perhaps even a small tour video could be made and posted online? But that's not for this topic.
Did you know? Smiles are contagious. Try it!

Fafnir Kristensen

« Reply #14 on: 28.08.2013, 14:19:05 »

that could be a nice addition to the mobile app

Okay maybe this is a stupid idea, but: in addition to maps, is there a way we can add (small) photos of the entrance to rooms etc. in some way? I'm thinking it might be easier to recognize what a place is than just a top-down map. Especially for those who have trouble reading maps, and I know for a fact there's plenty of people like that.

If it won't fit in the conbook (because I know just how hard it can be fitting all information in there), than perhaps the idea is still valid for the website. Perhaps even a small tour video could be made and posted online? But that's not for this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up