Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Conbook - feedback and suggestions  (Read 23814 times)

karpour

• Charity
  • Roo!
    • ohnitsch
Re: Conbook - feedback and suggestions
« Reply #15 on: 28.08.2013, 14:35:18 »

The conbook this year was great! I hope I can help out a bit more next year :)

Question to readers: Since we got a new hotel next year, what do you think is the essential information you'd expect from the con book?

I agree, maps! It would be awesome to have an extra sheet for taking away with a map of the surroundings of the hotel, much like the maps you get at tourist information.
Maybe on one side there could be the hotel floor plan and on the other side a map with surroundings such as stores, restaurants and pharmacies.

Maybe it is also possible to shorten recurring information such as convention rules a bit and include some information about the venue and the city!

Fafnir Kristensen

« Reply #16 on: 28.08.2013, 16:15:26 »

The conbook this year was great! I hope I can help out a bit more next year :)

Maybe on one side there could be the hotel floor plan and on the other side a map with surroundings such as stores, restaurants and pharmacies.

mmm, there was already one with the surroundings, the one with the various restaurants and shops offering special prices for EF attendee, it was on an extra A3 sheet folded that came with the conbook.

but having the hotel map on the other side could be a nice idea

Langohr

« Reply #17 on: 28.08.2013, 22:03:42 »

Question to readers: How about the table of content? Is it useful? Would it be better positioned on the inside cover for easy access?

Question to readers: Since we got a new hotel next year, what do you think is the essential information you'd expect from the con book?

I liked the table of contents. To me it’s not important if it is positioned on the inside cover or where it was now. As soon as you knew where to find it, it was useful. The references in the timetable to the page numbers of the event descriptions were very helpful too.

To second question: Maps, as said by the previous writers.

There was one more really little thing I want to mention: The character you used as a hyphen in compound words (like e.g. “open-minded”) was too wide in my opinion. This may sound like nitpicking, but I really always got stuck in reading because I misread this sign for a dash. Interestingly, the hyphen that was used for syllable division at line endings was shorter, how it should be.

In any case: Thanks for your great work.
« Last Edit: 28.08.2013, 22:05:36 by Langohr »

Luxen

• The Daily Eurofurence
    • Furry.ch - das Schweizer Furry Portal
« Reply #18 on: 28.08.2013, 23:52:09 »

Big kudos to the Conbook team! For the first time, you did a wonderful job. This was the prettiest and most useful conbook I ever held in my paws. High-quality artwork, nice paper quality and a clean and elegant layout.

Also, thanks for the useful additions: Finally we had a table of content and page references <3 It also bears repeating that the artist's portraits were a really nice touch. Not sure if we need to introduce our directors that way. In my opinion, there's too many hard-working volunteers at this con to just select a few.

(Edit: Got rid of a potentially provocative sentence that wasn't about the conbook.)
« Last Edit: 28.08.2013, 23:57:10 by Luxen »
The Daily Eurofurence:
Now all issues available at www.eurofurence.org/EF22/daily

Kamuniak

• Con Book
  • Profile picture by Dolphiana
    • Kamuniak.com
« Reply #19 on: 29.08.2013, 00:12:35 »

I think that generally conbook was great. Colorful and useful, as it should be :) Page references from timetable to event descriptions was great. There was few mistakes though that timetable and event description were showing different rooms.

Few small Imo suggestions:

Put something important and often needed to centerfold. Like hotel/event area map. That page is so easy to open and find in less than second. I understand it is good place for nice art piece also, but I'd prefer having something useful-through-the-con on those pages.

Instead of so much art, I'd love to have some fictional furry stories in conbook also. Stories are underrated :) I can't remember which con it was that had multiple short stories written to conbook. It was nice to read them while idling in random convention queue.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 29.08.2013, 12:02:40 »

The decision to have no stories in the conbook was deliberate - it's one of those things that individuals keep requesting, but in the end, the vast majority only sees it as a wall of text of dubious value :) So I requested to no longer include any fiction in the book. It requires an attention span that most people don't have at a con. A comic would work.
yours,

Cheetah

Jake R

• Fursuit support
« Reply #21 on: 30.08.2013, 22:01:13 »

The decision to have no stories in the conbook was deliberate - it's one of those things that individuals keep requesting, but in the end, the vast majority only sees it as a wall of text of dubious value :) So I requested to no longer include any fiction in the book. It requires an attention span that most people don't have at a con. A comic would work.

Oh yes, I very much support the idea of a comic! If you want to go nuts, you could even get a team of multiple artists together and let different people draw different panels / pages (depending on how long it is). It'd probably be easier than working together on one big picture anyway.
Did you know? Smiles are contagious. Try it!

draconigen

• Webmaster
  • Website Team
« Reply #22 on: 30.08.2013, 22:26:04 »

That's one awesome idea....

Bigwig

• Suitname: Shadowhunter
« Reply #23 on: 31.08.2013, 15:30:20 »

The maps are needed in the pocket guide (too). I usually leave the conbook in the room while the pocket guide goes in my pocket and is always around. It was a pitty the banner brawl was missing in the pocket guide and so I missed it too. When you note such mistakes after print write them on a flipchart at registration and everyone can fix his pocket guide. I'm aware you did just-in-time updates with the app, but even though having a S3 and gsm-internet the pocket guide was still easier to use: especially because you couldn't mark and get alarms for your events of interest and were always confronted with the initial alphabetical order of events using the app. The only pages which looked odd in the conbook was that which advertised (primarily for the other cons): Printed text literally using the last millimeter (and sometimes cut off) not using the usual header or footer or pagenumber simply made it look like not really belonging to the conbook. Skip counting them, print them all on the same physical sheet of paper and they can be easily ripped out later.
« Last Edit: 31.08.2013, 17:59:05 by Bigwig »

Fafnir Kristensen

« Reply #24 on: 31.08.2013, 16:11:03 »

mmm, the pocket guide may be too small to have useful maps on it, beside it's already full, it would require adding at least one additional fold (that would still fit into a A4 format length it seems)

The maps are needed in the pocket guide (too).
« Last Edit: 31.08.2013, 16:13:58 by Fafnir Kristensen »

Schorse

« Reply #25 on: 31.08.2013, 17:09:54 »

I love the cover artwork SO much, you did choose the right artist for that. :) :)

amee2k

• Fursuit support
« Reply #26 on: 08.09.2013, 13:40:24 »

I love the con book and I'm considering hanging some of the artwork in my room now! Though I have to admit shamefully that I didn't give it a good cover-to-cover read through until after the convention (and I'm certainly not alone there). XD When I got it, I went straight for the schedule and the event descriptions.

The advertising didn't strike me as negative because it was thematically appropriate, actually had some nice looking artwork, and (most importantly!) didn't intrude on the content. An ad for "<insert popular soft drink brand here>" would have looked entirely out of place, but I don't think there is anything questionable about furry events promoting each other, or related events and services. (And I think the amount of advertising in general was rather low. On a quick look I'm counting 5 full pages, not counting the "end tide" page, and two banners on the bottom of other pages. That is less than 10%. Next time you go to the dentist, flick through some of the crap mags there.)

I also entirely missed the pocket program, but I sort-of invented my own version of it by printing the online PDF in "2 on 1" mode so it comes out in A5 format if I cut it in the middle. Then it fit nicely into my A5 note book that I was carrying around most of the time anyway, I can text-marker interesting events beforehand, and if i put the last page in upside-down i can just flick out the whole program to quickly see the floor plan. (Only slightly larger font and b/w printer friendly contrasts would have been nice for that, but it worked great nevertheless so no complaints.)

And last but not least... I LOVE MAPS!!!111  <3  And the online PDF was great to familiarize myself with the general layout before I arrived.

Oh, and I didn't use the "app" because I was the only person at the convention without a smartphone and unlimited data plan. Please keep the printed stuff as well, and it works without batteries.

Drift

• Art Show
« Reply #27 on: 08.09.2013, 18:29:27 »

Oh, and I didn't use the "app" because I was the only person at the convention without a smartphone and unlimited data plan.
No, you were not the only one ;).

Please keep the printed stuff as well, and it works without batteries.
Indeed, please keep it :).

Sheppy

• Nigga #1
  • Registration
  • Reg Team / BlackDude for everything ^_^
    • Sheppy
« Reply #28 on: 12.09.2013, 11:49:52 »

The Conbook layout and design was the best ive seen yet. (EF14-19)
Nothing moar to say ... keep it that style.

For the 20th anniversary it would be cool to have it like the Anthrocon Conbook.
One-Two Sentences about every Sfatt Member - explaining what he does and is.
It doesnt have to be written as big as in the AC Conbook. Bould would be a nice to have and
kinda honour for every Staffer doing a great job.
Telegram - @ShishaSheppy
Twitter - @ShishaSheppy

Rattie

« Reply #29 on: 12.09.2013, 12:30:24 »

The art in the conbook is simply astonishing. We have so skilled artists and it is a pleasure to enjoy their work while reading the conbook. I really like the style. Keep it!
Does Eurofurence have an official mascot? No? Wouldn't it be appropriate to have one? Small comic strips could also be an awesome extra feature. He/she/it could then appear in these, if it were.   
One-Two Sentences about every Sfatt Member - explaining what he does and is.
I totally agree. The staff of EF should definitely be mentioned in the conbook. Their hard work is what makes it possible for the rest of us to have an awesome time, and a blast of a con!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up