The Eurofurence Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 25 "Fractures in Time" - Estrel Hotel Berlin, August 14-18, 2019Follow eurofurence on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Train from UK  (Read 1683 times)

Blaster-Hedgie

Train from UK
« on: 16.02.2014, 08:52:57 »

Is anyone else from the UK planning to go via the Eurostar and DB? It would be nice to have a train buddy  :)

VulpesRex

Re: Train from UK
« Reply #1 on: 17.02.2014, 01:19:20 »

3 years ago I was compelled to travel via Heathrow and change planes to get to Frankfurt, then board a series of trains to get to Magdeburg for EuroFurnence that year; since I never left the international terminal or passed through customs or passport control , I never actually "entered" England.

...But it might be fun to do that once!  What sort of itinerary is involved in going from Heathrow to wherever the EuroStar Terminal is, and is there a direct connection from EuroStar to DB?  Or would there be a trip on the french high-speed LGV train to some point where one changes from French railways to DB?

And just as important - what provisions are there for baggage handling?
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Blaster-Hedgie

Re: Train from UK
« Reply #2 on: 17.02.2014, 07:59:01 »

Heathrow has a London Underground tube station, so you can ride all the way to Kings Cross St Pancras which houses the Eurostar terminal. Tickets that go straight through to Berlin are available from www.bahn.com using a ticket called the London Spezial. I used it in 2012 to travel direct to Magdeburg. Booking well in advance means tickets can be as low as €118 for a round trip. The only downside is that trains are pre booked, and so must be used as per the ticket. However, in 2012 myself and my colleagues were delayed, but my grasp of the German language meant we could have our tickets corrected by the operator. The last leg of the journey would be via the Metrobus, which even flight passengers would have to get.
Luggage should not be a problem. Last time I took my giant suitcase and a backpack with no problems. Overhead storage and luggage storage areas are pretty adequate on Eurostar and DB trains.

Pages: [1]   Go Up