Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inofficial Eurofurence Visitor List  (Read 8068 times)

TomTheDragon

• Voraffinity.de
Inofficial Eurofurence Visitor List
« on: 02.02.2014, 18:41:27 »

I got the idea after seeing something like that on other Con websites like http://wuff.org.ua/2014/attendees or http://www.rusfurence.ru/2014/reged/
I think it would maybe not a good idea to "force" everyone to join on this kind of list like they did, specially because the EF is a lot bigger then this Cons

My idea was to make a simply little "inofficial" list on a voluntary base, where only the people can join who want to join ;)
It also could be interesting for those who are still looking for a room mate :)

I'm gonna maybe change the look of this program and maybe will add some more little features later but if you're are interested, please take a look ;)

--> http://ef-visitor-list.no.si

Also feel free to leave some posts below, if you have some nice ideas what i could do to make it better :)

Wotan

Re: Inofficial Eurofurence Visitor List
« Reply #1 on: 02.02.2014, 20:55:21 »

Nice idea :) Already add my entry yay! Keep working!
Born to be wild!!!!

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
« Reply #2 on: 02.02.2014, 21:29:56 »

Added my entry ^.^

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #3 on: 03.02.2014, 10:52:51 »

Just some questions... How do you stop people from entering something wrong? For example, entering someone else's name to mess with the system?

Maybe an email confirmation would be useful.
Also about the passwords - they are entered once, no double-check, no email address is stored in a database. What do I do if I mistyped my password on registration, or forget it? There seems to be no possibility to get a new password.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 03.02.2014, 11:49:04 »

Hi!

There is a good reason why we don't have such a list. Some people don't want to see their name on a list on a public web page - and unless you have some way to authenticate people, there's no guarantee that people aren't put on that list against their will.

And the use of such a list is limited anyways ... most people will probably not care about the names of other attendee's they've never heard about, and if they know them, they'll probably already have heard it from them personally that they're coming or not.

There's a huge "post your reg number here" thread in this forum. If you want to make your attendance known, I would suggest using that, and scrap the whole list idea.
« Last Edit: 03.02.2014, 16:11:23 by Cheetah »
yours,

Cheetah

TomTheDragon

• Voraffinity.de
« Reply #5 on: 04.02.2014, 07:08:49 »

How do you stop people from entering something wrong? For example, entering someone else's name to mess with the system?
Maybe an email confirmation would be useful.
I will add a IP based check so that someone can only add one name per IP, thats the only thing i can do. I mean they also could make accounts under a wrong name in this forum.
Why did i not add a email confirmation? Well.. i wanted to keep this system simple, i could add something like that but i dont think it would much help. I also think that much more users would decide to not make an entry just because of an email confirmation.
If some more want something like this, i will add it :)
But i think the only way to make this 100% secure, would be a system like this on a "official" base.

Also about the passwords - they are entered once, no double-check, no email address is stored in a database. What do I do if I mistyped my password on registration, or forget it? There seems to be no possibility to get a new password.
I just added a password double-check :)
If you contact me and also prove your identity, you can get a new one.

Some people don't want to see their name on a list on a public web page - and unless you have some way to authenticate people, there's no guarantee that people aren't put on that list against their will.
Like i said above:
Something like this on a inofficial base cant be 100% secure but it should be easy to integrate a function like this (for example) on the EF website.
Add a button in the registration website if someone wants an entry on a public list and set it to no by default. All problems solved.. but ok its just an idea ;)

And the use of such a list is limited anyways ...
Well..
I know a lot furs that look on sites like Facebook, Furbase, this forum and also some other sites, for familiar names to make the decision easier if a visit to the EF is worth it.. but they dont want look on every bigger site out there. Specially because some furs dont like certain sites like Facebook and its also stupid to make accounts everywhere just for something like this.
Its also nice to have a way to look for other room mates if they still need one, in one central place.

btw. this was not my idea alone, i was talking with some others about a list like this for quite some time and all of them was really happy to hear about that i finally made something like this ;)

Sambers

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #6 on: 04.02.2014, 11:54:35 »

Keep in mind that if you do an IP based check, people living together/couples won't be able to sign up (well, only one of them would)

TomTheDragon

• Voraffinity.de
« Reply #7 on: 04.02.2014, 15:46:14 »

Keep in mind that if you do an IP based check, people living together/couples won't be able to sign up (well, only one of them would)
Hm.. right.. then i will not add this function :/

lynard

• Pawpeteer
  • Pawpet Show
  • Lynard (by Dragony)
    • My FA Page
« Reply #8 on: 24.02.2014, 06:19:00 »

Hm.. right.. then i will not add this function :/

Ip-Based Checks are useless when you have a Dial In Connection (and most DSL Providers have so), which gives you a new IP everytime you reconnect. I would not advise to use such a system.

Fineas

• ConOps
« Reply #9 on: 11.03.2014, 13:18:09 »

Well what about making the email confirmation optional?
You can list everyone that has been added, but you get a 'confirmed' color/asterisk/button thingy showing 'you mean business' and are really said person and will be attending.

It's far from fool proof though.
I for one have a mailbox with a 'catch all' configuration. I can conjure as many e-mail addresses as I like from my pool of domains.
Pages: [1]   Go Up