Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what to do?  (Read 9968 times)

mstrlitamacwolf

what to do?
« on: 09.06.2014, 14:30:49 »

Since this is my first time to EF I'm kind of clueless on where or what i need to bring with me to pick up my badge and my shiny goody bag.

VulpesRex

Re: what to do?
« Reply #1 on: 10.06.2014, 05:17:47 »

Since this is my first time to EF I'm kind of clueless on where or what i need to bring with me to pick up my badge and my shiny goody bag.

Greetings, Mstrlitamacwolf!

I'm not staff, just an attendee like you - but in the past, all I have had to present was some personal ID (your passport will do) and a cheerful smile.

...and our registration staff have been so gracious as to welcome and process me, even when I have forgotten about the smile (but the ID, they must insist upon).

In the past, EuroFURence has created the innovative Conference Badge/Room Key combination, where your badge doubles as your guestroom key card; this meant first standing in line to process through convention registration, and then going over to Hotel Registration to receive your room (and where they encoded your badge to work as the key card).

As this is a new hotel (for us), I do not know if they will have the same clever setup for this year; but if so, and if you arrive the day before the convention officially starts, the hotel will give you a normal guestroom key card, which you can then exchange when you get your con badge the next day.

Oh - one other thing: the hotels in Germany which I have stayed at will also hand you a small card for your wallet, with the name, address, and phone number for the hotel; and your name, room number, and the days which you will be staying as a guest.  The purpose of this card is to show to either front-desk staff, or to civil authorities such as the police, that you are indeed a resident guest of the hotel.  This is REALLY handy to be able to present to a policeman if you should become lost, even if neither of you speak a common language, to help them help you return to the hotel. (in the days before electronic room key cards, you typically had a large key on a brass or wooden key fob, and when you left the environs of the hotel, you would leave the key at the desk; if you were not known to the clerk or concierge working the desk upon your return, the card was your token affirming your right to that key).

In some cities, this card can also be used as a "city card", which many city visitors' bureaus give to travellers to get discounts on food or drink, or for passage on the local tram or bus, or for discounted admission to cultural sites.  I don't know if this will hold true for the Estrel guest-card, but it is wise to remember if you spend any additional days in a hotel in any other part of Germany during your visit.
« Last Edit: 10.06.2014, 05:21:59 by VulpesRex »
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Fineas

• ConOps
« Reply #2 on: 10.06.2014, 11:41:57 »

I agree with the most of the above.

I like to confirm however that indeed the con badge and your room key will be 2 different things.

Specifically your goody bag, t-shirt, con-book and sponsor items will be handed out at the registration desk after verification of your ID and while/after you receive your con badge.

This already might be clear, but still I would like to point out the con-badge is enough identification for people at EF.
The hotel and any one outside the hotel will ask you for ID.
In general it's safest to bring either your passport or ID card, drivers licenses are not accepted as a form of identification in Germany.

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #3 on: 10.06.2014, 18:50:42 »

Would a drivers licence with photo on also not be accepted?
More is more.

Dhary Montecore

« Reply #4 on: 10.06.2014, 21:23:58 »

drivers licenses are not accepted as a form of identification in Germany.

That is NOT true. Drivers licenses are considerate "photo ID" and therefore a valid means of identification.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #5 on: 10.06.2014, 21:31:33 »

Would a drivers licence with photo on also not be accepted?
Likely it would, but good luck trying to get into the Schengen Area without a passport or national ID card...

Edit: clarification
« Last Edit: 11.06.2014, 21:20:58 by o'wolf »
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Alexander James Adams, Blood and Passion

Fineas

• ConOps
« Reply #6 on: 11.06.2014, 13:01:59 »

Ok for rectification on the subject of using your drivers license as a form of ID

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_identity_card
it says:
"As everyone in Germany must possess an ID card or a passport, acceptance of other official documents (like driving licences) as proof of identity is not guaranteed, especially for old driving licences. Driving licences are not replaced in Germany, so the same document is kept"

Which is the problem: The photo can be old as other data on the card.

However, as Dhary pointed out:
It's not guaranteed to be accepted, but in 99% of the cases a (photo) drivers license is accepted as valid proof of ID in Germany. Banks on the other hand have their own laws since the dawn of time and usually their laws are not common laws. ;3

So in conclusion. Yes, feel free to try and use your drivers license, it will probably work.

Edit::
Although this might seam like a trivial point, I feel like I should elaborate why I made my original statement.
We are an event that attracts people from all over the globe.
Their is a chance that a store clerk, police agent other government officials will need to see your ID. Their is NO dispute at all about ID's and passport. It is set in stone that if it's valid and matches that it's legal regardless of your country of origin. You can go to court and fight it if someone disputes it for that matter.
However, if someone refuses your drivers license as a mean of ID; Maybe because they are not able to verify that the piece of paper you are holding is an official document as they have never seen one from your country before for example. The above explanation will tell you why I personally think it would be best to bring either of the 2 documents we know are safe.

I feel we are dragging off topic, but I felt it is important you all understand the implications.
« Last Edit: 11.06.2014, 13:21:28 by Fineas »

Wotan

« Reply #7 on: 11.06.2014, 18:18:30 »

National ID is accepted no? Because now at EU is not necessary to use the passport between countries.
Born to be wild!!!!

Dhary Montecore

« Reply #8 on: 11.06.2014, 18:50:57 »

National ID is accepted no? Because now at EU is not necessary to use the passport between countries.

A government issued photo ID works. Inside the EU you don't need a travel passport, that's correct. So your national ID card would suffice.

Wotan

« Reply #9 on: 12.06.2014, 00:08:44 »

A government issued photo ID works. Inside the EU you don't need a travel passport, that's correct. So your national ID card would suffice.

Thanks so much for the aclaration :D
Born to be wild!!!!

KyuubiSaoirse

• Rawr!
    • My fA
« Reply #10 on: 20.06.2014, 16:44:11 »

And here I come asking, ahahahah. Since I'd rather avoid bringing my passport if at all possible, as damned expensive as they are. :/

I'm Danish, and I don't have a driver's licence. What I DO have, is my social security/health insurance card - without picture, but with social security number, etc - and my student card, WITH picture. For us here, the social security/health insurance card is accepted as ID, both the yellow and the blue(the blue is for the EU health insurance).

Will I need to bring my passport along either way, or will one of these suffice?

gwyndolium

• The fruity husky!
« Reply #11 on: 03.08.2014, 17:53:07 »

@KyuubiSaoirse

Pretty sure you need at least your ID/Passport/Drivers license. Preferably one of the first two as they are 100% guarenteed identification documents. Even if you can get your registration through with the passes you mentioned you would still be in trouble if something happened to you that involved the police or other authorities even if it's not your fault. Better be safe than sorry!
"Just one sign... and your cookie is mine!"

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 03.08.2014, 22:14:14 »

Only official government issued IDs will be accepted.
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: [1]   Go Up