The Eurofurence Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 25 "Fractures in Time" - Estrel Hotel Berlin, August 14-18, 2019Follow eurofurence on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Travel Update - July  (Read 6127 times)

Schakaline

• ConStore & Sales
  • Not an actual Ancient Egyptian deity
Travel Update - July
« on: 20.06.2014, 21:43:29 »

Yes, yes, I know the May update is one and a half months late. Bear with me, I've been in a slump lately and have had more power tools applied to various parts of my body lately than it takes to set up and break down a whole stage.

Anyhow, travel advisory, June edition.

Hi everybody!

Travel documents

Visitors from outside the Schengen area need to be in possession of a valid form of government ID and, if neccessary, a visa.

Please check the web site of the German Foreign Office to find out whether you need a visa for the Schengen area.

Remember that especially in Eastern European embassies, there can be quite a wait involved for an application to Schengen visa. Also, the UK Passport Office currently has a six-figure backlog of passport applications, so, if you're from any of these areas and didn't read and act on our March travel update, well, you're pretty much fucked now.

Roads

There currently are no major roadworks announced on the regional road network.

However, please note that near the A100 / A113 exit AD Grenzallee a diversion is in place until Summer 2017 due to the construction of the new A100 tunnel. This may cause traffic jams and longer travel times.

Rail

Since we're changing hotels in 2014, the Maritim discount fare is no longer available.
DB have a new search form that enables you to look for tickets between two specific stations sorted by price in ascending order, you can find it here.

There's also a number of discount fares available, such as the Quer-durchs-Land-Ticket if you restrict yourself to local trains, the Gruppe & Spar offer if you travel in packs (or gaggles, or schools or whatever rows your boat), and even (ugh) buses. Check here for details.

Long distance trains are running mostly as scheduled.
There are minor changes on ICE lines 3 and 10, these have been added to the electronic timetable.

There currently is one local advisory:
Until September, Ostkreuz station will not have escalators or lifts on connections from the city centre (S5, S7, S75) to the Ringbahn (S41, S42) platforms and vice versa. Please consider this in regard to heavy luggage.

Air travel
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
Re: Travel Update - July
« Reply #1 on: 01.07.2014, 18:26:21 »

Until September, Ostkreuz station will not have escalators or lifts on connections from the city centre (S5, S7, S75) to the Ringbahn (S41, S42) platforms and vice versa. Please consider this in regard to heavy luggage.

Greeaaat... That's where my friend and me have to change trains. And I will have some luggage because I'm a Fursuiter. -_-
That info comes way to late

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 01.07.2014, 19:26:51 »

We are providing this information as a courtesy. If the update schedule of our free service does not meet your personal requirements, feel free to consult the webpages of the carriers involved in your trip.
yours,

Cheetah

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #3 on: 01.07.2014, 19:46:52 »

Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Heather Alexander, Blood and Passion

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #4 on: 02.07.2014, 10:55:03 »

Greeaaat... That's where my friend and me have to change trains. And I will have some luggage because I'm a Fursuiter. -_-
Usually, when escalators are closed, some employees are around to help disabled people, and people with baby buggies or heavy luggage. If they aren't there, often other passengers will offer help if they see you struggle with heavy luggage. So don't worry too much.

Katara

• katara.de
« Reply #5 on: 03.07.2014, 14:06:42 »

Are there any informations about parking (places, prizes) yet?

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
« Reply #6 on: 10.07.2014, 16:31:35 »

It was on the page? Didn't see that in that wall of text
Well, we will see what happens ^^

Rusty Fox

• Just a little bit shy fox. Red fox.
« Reply #7 on: 14.07.2014, 22:54:41 »

well... any advices where to park a car?
Yip yap. And yarf, perhaps.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #8 on: 14.07.2014, 22:56:59 »

BlueBerry

• Press Relations
« Reply #9 on: 23.07.2014, 21:02:12 »

Here are some tips from a guy who lives in Berlin and is regularly traveling by public transport:
1. For those who go by the Berlin-Warszawa-Express, notice: The Berlin-Warszawa-Express will drive via "Ostbahnhof", but ends at "Hauptbahnhof". For those who will arrive at "Ostbahnhof", notice: The most trains that will drive via "Ostbahnhof" will also drive via "Hauptbahnhof". So it is better to change at "Hauptbahnhof", the simplest way is to take the bus line M41 in the direction "Sonnenallee/Baumschulenstrasse" to the station "Ziegrastrasse". (As it is also written here https://www.eurofurence.org/EF20/hotel/travel)
2. If you are traveling by bus, you will arrive with very high probability at the central bus station (ZOB) near by the fairgrounds. From there you walk about 5 minutes to the station "Messe Nord / ICC". From there you just take the S-Bahn S42 to station "Sonnenallee".
3. If you arrive by plane at Tegel Airport (TXL), it's the simplest way to take the bus TXL to the station "Beusselstrasse" and from there take the S-Bahn S42 to station "Sonnenallee".
4. If you arrive by plane at Schönefeld Airport (SXF), it's the simplest way to take the S-Bahn S45 in the direction "Südkreuz" to the station "Köllnische Heide" and from there take the bus line M41 in the direction "S+U Hauptbahnhof" to the station "Ziegrastrasse".

In every bus and at every S-Bahn station you can buy a ticket. The bus drivers sell you the right ticket, if you tell them the driving destination. The busses will be overloaded at many times.

Very important: If it is very warm outside (more than 20°C), then it may be in some busses such as in a sauna. Because in some busses, the air conditioning did not work or only very poorly and in most busses, the windows are locked, so you can not open them. In the S-Bahn, it is also warm, but there you can open the windows. Taking a taxi is a good alternative, because in most taxis the air conditioning works. For those who want to take a taxi and want to know how it will cost can use this: http://www.taxiverband-berlin.de/taxikunden/tarifrechner.php#englisch

If you are unsure, then you can also get driving information from the following websites:
https://www.fahrinfo-berlin.de/Fahrinfo/bin/query.bin/en?ld=0.1&
https://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml

You can also use the Smartphone Apps:
For iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/bvg-fahrinfo-plus-berlin/id284971745?mt=8 and https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/db-navigator/id343555245?mt=8
For Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.eos.uptrade.android.fahrinfo.berlin&hl=en and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.hafas.android.db&hl=en
Sorry, but they are not available on Windows Phone, maybe others.
« Last Edit: 18.08.2014, 12:14:08 by BlueBerry »

KyuubiSaoirse

• Rawr!
    • My fA
« Reply #10 on: 25.07.2014, 13:00:05 »

Taking a taxi is a good alternative, because in most taxis the air conditioning works.

Just so I know; how much does a taxi cost in Germany? Because in Denmark they've gotten RIDICULOUSLY expensive the last couple years, and they were expensive beforehand. Because if the price's fair, I might opt for it when I arrive and depart since I'll be carrying a lot of luggage with me.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #11 on: 25.07.2014, 14:40:31 »

Just so I know; how much does a taxi cost in Germany?

It depends on the city, most cities have regulated fares, these are the official fares for Berlin.

Schakaline

• ConStore & Sales
« Reply #12 on: 25.07.2014, 21:58:12 »

1. If you [...] Android.

Thank you for proving why we possibly couldn't put _all_ this stuff on the web site.  ;D
But yeah, each of these routes make sense in their own way, there isn't "the" way through Berlin like it was in the past.
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

BlueBerry

• Press Relations
« Reply #13 on: 26.07.2014, 03:30:43 »

1. If you [...] Android.

Thank you for proving why we possibly couldn't put _all_ this stuff on the web site.  ;D
But yeah, each of these routes make sense in their own way, there isn't "the" way through Berlin like it was in the past.
I have modified my post. I hope this is better now, otherwise you can delete the post as well.

Schakaline

• ConStore & Sales
« Reply #14 on: 26.07.2014, 12:05:35 »

I have modified my post. I hope this is better now, otherwise you can delete the post as well.
It actually is quite helpful to have - thanks for the summary!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up