Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EF20 Panel - Open Source Painting with Krita  (Read 9797 times)

Arakin

EF20 Panel - Open Source Painting with Krita
« on: 24.06.2014, 09:55:46 »

Hi there!

I'm considering running a panel around the open-source Krita application.

I wanted to find out how many folks mght be interested, and what you might want me to cover?
I'm also wondering whether there might be any artists already using Krita and who might be willing to assist in demonstration or to answer questions that other artists might have? (I'm more a coder)

I'm one of the developers involved in the Krita project, contributing to the main free release as well as being part of the team working on Krita Gemini in Steam, and we've seen a lot of interest from people recently thanks to releasing a reliable Windows build, so I thought this might be a good way to show off some of the features you can get from this free software. Also I hope to have some devices I can use so people can have a quick play with Krita Gemini.

Topics I thought to cover: (needs more perhaps? or where to focus?)
  • Brief History of Krita - From a GIMP port to KImage and 2.9 Alpha
  • Quick introduction to the User Interface, and how to make it your own
  • Features and Configuring Shortcuts (e.g. canvas rotation, brush sizing etc)
  • Managing your brush presets
  • Creating Custom Brushes
  • LUT Docker for HDR Painting (?)
  • Where to get Krita - Building for cats
  • Getting involved!
  • Krita Sketch and Gemini

Maybe existing users might like a chance to give feedback?

Maybe people would rather use it as a chance for a mini art-jam/speedpaint with a briefer presentation, and then time to ask questions either of myself or ask around?

Please let me know if you might be interested, or ways in which you think such a panel might be improved :D
Thanks,
Arakin

Ralesk

Re: EF20 Panel - Open Source Painting with Krita
« Reply #1 on: 24.06.2014, 10:06:28 »

I'm not an artist but I'm a KDE guy and have always been annoyed by the GIMP UI (the multi-window thing they for so long claimed to be Just Fine and your Window Manager Just Sucks (never mind that not even Metacity dealt with it nicely)), I've been curious about Krita for a long while :)
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 24.06.2014, 12:38:59 »

This sounds like a cool idea!
yours,

Cheetah

Dutch_Wolf

• Fursuit Photoshooting
« Reply #3 on: 25.06.2014, 08:22:38 »

I myself was considering/preparing a panel introducing open source graphics software which would also have covered Krita. Al tough I don't think this has to bite each  other since a) I want to cover a lot more then just krita (also GIMP, MyPaint, photo workflow and other utilities) b) I am more of a photographer so I am not that experienced with using Krita to it fullest and c) I was intending for it to be more of an introduction/overview to the available programs and tools and helping interested parties out with installing and setup.

So if it can be arranged that your panel is after mine I can just point them to your panel for more info about Krita ;)

Arakin

« Reply #4 on: 25.06.2014, 12:39:46 »

So if it can be arranged that your panel is after mine I can just point them to your panel for more info about Krita ;)

Interesting idea :D
Would be interested in finding out what features etc you planned to cover/mention, happy to assist where possible.

Dutch_Wolf

• Fursuit Photoshooting
« Reply #5 on: 25.06.2014, 13:23:39 »

Interesting idea :D
Would be interested in finding out what features etc you planned to cover/mention, happy to assist where possible.

I was intended to cover per application 1) Short history/background 2) Features 3) Intended use (e.g. Krita focuses more on image creation while GIMP has a stronger focus on image manipulation) and 4) Where to find more info, also the plan would be to bring a bunch of USB sticks/portable disk-drives with said applications. Note that since I want to cover more then one application I don't have time for in-depth coverage or (full) demonstrations.

In short I would cover the "high concept" of every application and some information where to get it, where to get help/support and help with setting up/installing.

Arakin

« Reply #6 on: 26.06.2014, 08:36:58 »

...also the plan would be to bring a bunch of USB sticks/portable disk-drives with said applications. Note that since I want to cover more then one application I don't have time for in-depth coverage or (full) demonstrations.

I was wondering how to offer copies of the software in a quick convenient way - I don't have a wireless hard-drive, but I do have a portable access point and a compact Atom-ION PC which I could configure as a wireless file server, might be a good approach? Would be happy to lend it so you could load up with the other apps too.
I'll include Krita, maybe even a brush pack for it.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 26.06.2014, 12:38:46 »

If you haven't done so yet ... please submit this event to -> events@eurofurence.org . Thanks :)
yours,

Cheetah

Dutch_Wolf

• Fursuit Photoshooting
« Reply #8 on: 26.06.2014, 13:18:13 »

...also the plan would be to bring a bunch of USB sticks/portable disk-drives with said applications. Note that since I want to cover more then one application I don't have time for in-depth coverage or (full) demonstrations.

I was wondering how to offer copies of the software in a quick convenient way - I don't have a wireless hard-drive, but I do have a portable access point and a compact Atom-ION PC which I could configure as a wireless file server, might be a good approach? Would be happy to lend it so you could load up with the other apps too.
I'll include Krita, maybe even a brush pack for it.

That might be an even better solution then a bunch of thumbdrives.

Arakin

« Reply #9 on: 27.06.2014, 09:24:52 »

If you haven't done so yet ... please submit this event to -> events@eurofurence.org . Thanks :)
Haven't yet, but will this weekend - I guess I can always update details in future?
Pages: [1]   Go Up