The Eurofurence Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 25 "Fractures in Time" - Estrel Hotel Berlin, August 14-18, 2019Follow eurofurence on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: anyway to get to the hotel with someone? possibly 3 swedes need a ride  (Read 3555 times)

BluePaw

probably easier then taking a taxi. and hopefully cheaper? :P

3 swedes with not very much packings, no suits at least will land at tegel airport at 8:30 or so.

Jorinda

• Press Relations

http://www.estrel.com/en/location-directions.html says:
Berlin Tegel Airport (TXL)
Take the X9 bus line from the airport to the "Jungfernheide" bus stop. Transfer then to the S42 S-Bahn commuter train line (Ringbahn) until you reach the "Sonnenallee" stop.
Public transport journey duration: roughly 40 minutes

So in case there's noone to share a car ride with, the public transport is a good option.

BluePaw

except that changing buses a few times in a language i have no idea of how to speak, in a nation that is doubtable on speaking English.
unless someone else is going by bus and we can just be a tail on that. but then again, no idea of how to pay for the bus-rides. they don't seem too keen on taking credit cards.

taxi will definitely be less of a hassle if none has a car.
at least those can be helped to order by the airport service desk^^
« Last Edit: 17.07.2014, 23:40:46 by BluePaw »

Schakaline

• ConStore & Sales
  • Not an actual Ancient Egyptian deity

except that changing buses a few times in a language i have no idea of how to speak, in a nation that is doubtable on speaking English.
unless someone else is going by bus and we can just be a tail on that. but then again, no idea of how to pay for the bus-rides. they don't seem too keen on taking credit cards.

Well, have I got news for you - if you think you can't handle the public transport in a city that has more than a third the population of your whole godd*mn country, and if you think people in the second largest city in Europe don't speak English well enough for you....

...well, maybe you are better off blowing the equivalent of ten drinks at the bar on a shady taxi instead.
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Atkelar

• Fursuit Photoshooting
  • Fursuit Gameshow Lead / Fursuit Photoshoot Lead
    • LiveJournal page

taxi will definitely be less of a hassle if none has a car.
at least those can be helped to order by the airport service desk^^

Granted, I speak the language... but the route described is actually *very* easy and all the transport has nice numbers and letters on it that matches the route description. Also, quite a large number of people WILL speak English well enough to direct you to the appropriate station. The bus station has a ticket machine that issues one way tickets that are valid for the entire ride. Don't recall if it takes credit, but you *should* have a *few* Euros travel budget in cash anyhow.
I can understand your point because I avoid such situations too whenever possible, but this *is* an easy route to follow - and a look at Google Maps street view before the trip helps too :D

Greetings,
 Atkelar

BluePaw

i did try the bus web page, and it was translatable to English as well. however, it looked like 3-4 bus-changes?
anyhow i find that kind of page very confusing as well.
and yeah sure, taking that there are some that do speak English, going by past experience at least by ringberg/souhl and magdeburg the luck i've had so far and people just look at me as if i'm an alien when i don't speak German...

also the past fact that i've been known to mail at all kinds of public transportations before that isn't compleatly local.
trains, buses, and so on.

and adding to all this i will not have slept very much that night since the flight leaves gothenburg at 6 something in the morning.

just saying, at that state i could get lost in an elevator.

also, hopefully won't be a "shady" taxi being that if i can ask the information desk at the airport to help book it?

Atkelar

• Fursuit Photoshooting
  • Fursuit Gameshow Lead / Fursuit Photoshoot Lead
    • LiveJournal page

i did try the bus web page, and it was translatable to English as well. however, it looked like 3-4 bus-changes?
anyhow i find that kind of page very confusing as well.

Oh, you were looking at the BUS page, so you probably saw the ride with ONLY busses... that might be more complicated of course.
To quote the post above: "Take the X9 bus line from the airport to the "Jungfernheide" bus stop. Transfer then to the S42 S-Bahn commuter train line (Ringbahn) until you reach the "Sonnenallee" stop." That's one Bus, one train and of course only one change between them :)  Airport->Jungfernheide->Sonnenallee. That's the way I went there for the annual meeting and while it's not a scenic route, it sure works nice and easy enough.

BluePaw

will have this information at hand when at the airport^^
and yes, it is a lot easier to understand then the bus page, and seems a lot less complicated^^
so very much tank you. and hope to see you at EF 20!^^
Pages: [1]   Go Up