Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: EF20 - Minibar Emptying  (Read 19929 times)

krakendwaggin

• Krakenplex Productions
EF20 - Minibar Emptying
« on: 02.08.2014, 18:30:43 »

I've already put this on twitter but I figured put this on here so more people are aware, as we know with previous years like at the Maritim in Magdeburg, most high class hotels have minibars within the rooms.

Most people like myself don't use them at all, especially when you see the prices of some of the items!

Myself and my boyfriend reached out to the Estrel and they have said that for €5 they will empty the minibar fridge and allow you to store your own stuff within it, the €5 covers your entire stay and as far as we're aware it's a personnel/admin fee for the removal of the stock.

It's best if you do it ahead of time, all you need to do is contact them with your confirmation number (found on your room reservation email) at reservierung@estrel.com and ask for the minibar to be emptied, the €5 will be added onto your room charge.

Now I know that most people will not like having to pay for something to be removed which they didn't want in the first place, the Estrel still needs to make money in some way, the Minibar is a source of profit in most cases, so a small charge for something like this is almost to be expected.

Also whilst I cannot confirm this myself, if you empty the minibar yourself and place the items on the side, you may get charged for those items even if you don't consume them, I don't know how they deal with that but this is why me and my boyfriend reached out before hand to arrange something which is best for both parties.

If there's any questions about this, contact them at reservierung@estrel.com

VulpesRex

Re: EF20 - Minibar Emptying
« Reply #1 on: 02.08.2014, 20:45:44 »

Myself and my boyfriend reached out to the Estrel and they have said that for €5 they will empty the minibar fridge and allow you to store your own stuff within it, the €5 covers your entire stay and as far as we're aware it's a personnel/admin fee for the removal of the stock.
Now I know that most people will not like having to pay for something to be removed which they didn't want in the first place, the Estrel still needs to make money in some way, the Minibar is a source of profit in most cases, so a small charge for something like this is almost to be expected.

Thank you for checking, and we are indeed fortunate that the Estrel offers to de-stock the minibar for our personal use!   :)  Most hotels will not do this, deeming the 'fridge unit and its contents as a revenue generator under their exclusive control, and will often charge if you place your own bottle of mineral water inside as though it were one of their own offerings, or remove it and dispose of it, with a stern note of warning (although the Maritim didn't seem to mind).

5 Euro for 5 days of refrigeration of what I choose to chill and consume is incredibly reasonable under the circumstances, and I will cheerfully pay for that privilege.  :D
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

silverfoxwolf

• Video Team
  • SFW
    • Silverfoxwolf
« Reply #2 on: 03.08.2014, 19:33:39 »

I suppose if they are sealed they would charge for that, but realistically if it's not how are they going to enforce it?
More is more.

ysegrim

• Superhero
  • Stage Team
« Reply #3 on: 04.08.2014, 00:00:39 »

Well, if you re-stock it every single day before the room service arrives, and unstock if afterwards, then yes, probably not. But then, a fridge does not make much of a sense, does it?

Santa fox

« Reply #4 on: 04.08.2014, 01:46:59 »

Well, if you re-stock it every single day before the room service arrives, and unstock if afterwards, then yes, probably not. But then, a fridge does not make much of a sense, does it?

I have heard of some hotels having pressure plates or something to that like that will sense if any of the bottles or such are removed, and the room subsequently charged.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 04.08.2014, 12:33:54 »

I have heard of some hotels having pressure plates or something to that like that will sense if any of the bottles or such are removed, and the room subsequently charged.

Housekeeping will check the minibar every day - if they find you've removed anything (and put your own stuff in), you will be charged - because that's the rules. If they offer you to have your minibar officially emptied and repurposed as a fridge for a small fee, that's quite generous, and we'd very much prefer if you took that option instead of trying to circumventing your contract.
yours,

Cheetah

Sambers

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #6 on: 04.08.2014, 12:58:43 »

Sent them an email, 5 euros is nothing and I'd gladly pay that in order to have cold drinks and be able to stock some other goodies :)
Thanks for the heads up!

Zestence

« Reply #7 on: 04.08.2014, 21:58:44 »

I have also been in touch with the hotel. And as a mild shock I was informed the hotel will be placing a pre-authorized charge on my card for 50/100 euros a night as a "guarantee for extras", that is 300-600€ essentially locked away directly from my account balance since I only have debit card. This will basically take away all flexibility from my con budget.
I'll have to see if emptying the minibar could be used a negotiation point for a lower deposit amount.

This will probably come as a surprise to many, since I at least didn't spot any information about such charges when I was making my reservation.

DarkFoxDK

• DarkFoxDK
« Reply #8 on: 04.08.2014, 22:33:58 »

I have also been in touch with the hotel. And as a mild shock I was informed the hotel will be placing a pre-authorized charge on my card for 50/100 euros a night as a "guarantee for extras", that is 300-600€ essentially locked away directly from my account balance since I only have debit card. This will basically take away all flexibility from my con budget.
I'll have to see if emptying the minibar could be used a negotiation point for a lower deposit amount.

This will probably come as a surprise to many, since I at least didn't spot any information about such charges when I was making my reservation.

That, and not allowing any charges to the room, should help bring that right down.

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 04.08.2014, 23:07:20 »

Check with your bank. In the case of debit cards, authorization holds can fall off the account (thus rendering the balance available again) anywhere from 1–5 days after the transaction date depending on the bank's policy.
yours,

Cheetah

Ralesk

« Reply #10 on: 05.08.2014, 10:23:17 »

Thank you for this info, I sent them an email too :)
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

Sambers

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #11 on: 05.08.2014, 12:15:39 »

I have just received an email from the Estrel regarding my request to empty the minibar.

" Unfortunately we are not able anymore to confirm your request for empty the minibar of your booked room. Due to limited storage capacities, we are able to offer that service for a certain amount of rooms only.

Furthermore we would like to point out that all beverages taken from the minibar will be charged as consumed to the guest bill, inasmuch as the minibar was not emptied by the hotel staff.

Many thanks for your understanding regarding this."

Seems like there have been a lot of people requesting to have their minibar emptied and now they don't have enough room to store the stock? :(

Arctic Steve

« Reply #12 on: 05.08.2014, 12:47:07 »

I got the same message. Sent one back asking how much the stock is worth and would they not restock if I brought it all. I'm also looking at ways to get my coolbox to Germany too. Not interested in bringing my own drinks or food, just coolvest insterts.

Unless something can be put in the fursuit lounge for us fursuiters with EZCooldown vests.

Kuro

• FA account
« Reply #13 on: 05.08.2014, 12:52:34 »

Got the same mail, guess we were too late.

I hope I may be able to negotiate something with them. Like only removing drinks/ soda that won't go bad when it's not in the fridge and putting it next to it. Of course I respect that they don't want to have anything that can go bad taken out and if they don't want me to take out anything then I'll need to try and squish some drinks inbetween, haha :)

Cheetah

• Chairman
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 05.08.2014, 12:56:17 »

It seems there were flooded with hundrets of eager furries trying to prepare their roomparties :) I would suggest bringing your own cooler then.
yours,

Cheetah
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up