Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Make a How to Elevator!?  (Read 15417 times)

meo

Make a How to Elevator!?
« on: 28.08.2014, 06:49:40 »

It would be awesome if someone would translate (and maybe remake, because of "Humans" and Copyright Bulls*#$) these http://www.kone.de/unternehmen/sicherheit/passagiere/sicherheitstipps-aufzugnutzung/ so ANY Convention with elevators could use it (for example tape it inside the elevator itself or give it as an inlay to the Conbook).

Also please add the "press only up or down"  m( and "An Elevator is not a closed inflatable trampolin"

Suicune

• Rawr!
    • RNG Plays Pokémon
Re: Make a How to Elevator!?
« Reply #1 on: 28.08.2014, 08:12:41 »

But wing 1 has up and more up :>

I wish i would have some decent drawing skills, have so nice ideas to make that into a furry version >.<

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #2 on: 28.08.2014, 09:02:46 »

It makes me sad that this is even necessary.

Druon

« Reply #3 on: 28.08.2014, 09:10:57 »

Aside from the reminder to not overcrowd the lift, there was nothing among those rules that could have had much of an impact to the use of elevators during our convention. And as for the overcrowding: The lifts themselves clearly stated they were designed for 13 people. I think the reduction to 8 by security was mainly to ease things for already failing elevators and to give people in fursuits some more space to breathe.

Also while there are possibly some idiots out there jumping in lifts, I think the Estrel elevators simply broke down from too much use in most cases. I've been in one when it broke down and there was no apparent misuse, no overload of people, jumping attendees or fast, sudden movements of the people in the car.
Among my circle of friends we kept looking out for anyone deliberately harming/disturbing the elevators - we were ready to give any such person a piece of our mind and report him or her to the security right away. Luckily we never saw that. Some people missed the 8 person limit, but got out again with no complains after a friendly reminder.

meo

« Reply #4 on: 28.08.2014, 09:19:03 »

I agree Jorinda, and Kage nearly facepalmed in the "Your first furcon" Panel as i mentioned it, but right before the panel I saw a Russian doing the down to go up thing. No offence to the Russians here, but guys...seriously?!

@Druon and the 8 Person Max: If you where aware, the sign also said 1000kg max. Now we calculate 12/13 people through that means you had to have that amount of people inside if they weight around 76 - 83 kg THAT wil never happens on a Furcon, be serious. So the 8 Person max is way more realistic an shouldn't be considered a reminder but an order!

It's a shame that the overloading warning didn't seems to work in Wing 2 but they worked in wing 1 at least (didn't got a chance to see it in wing 3 and 4).

Token

• Convention Security Operative
  • *nom nom nom*
« Reply #5 on: 28.08.2014, 10:28:53 »

We could sum up the rules and make signs that are universally usable on many many areas:

Use common sense. Don't be a dick!

:3
Best wishes,
Token

Ralesk

« Reply #6 on: 28.08.2014, 10:43:03 »

Also while there are possibly some idiots out there jumping in lifts, I think the Estrel elevators simply broke down from too much use in most cases. I've been in one when it broke down and there was no apparent misuse, no overload of people, jumping attendees or fast, sudden movements of the people in the car.

Experienced this in a Wing 2 lift once: there were two of us in it, and it stopped at floor 3 and wouldn't want to close the doors and go further.  I assumed it's a weight sensor issue, and it was, a gentle nudge to the floor made it lock the doors and continue travel.
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

meo

« Reply #7 on: 28.08.2014, 10:56:29 »

Somehow floor 3 in Wing 2 seems to be the deadzone for these elevators. the one on the right stopped there, the one on the left also. and when you say that nearly another one stopped there it sounds to me a bit fishy.

Langohr

« Reply #8 on: 28.08.2014, 11:32:55 »

Experienced this in a Wing 2 lift once: there were two of us in it, and it stopped at floor 3 and wouldn't want to close the doors and go further.  I assumed it's a weight sensor issue, and it was, a gentle nudge to the floor made it lock the doors and continue travel.

Just out of curiosity: Did you try to press the close-door button first before you took to the “gentle-nudge” strategy?

Ralesk

« Reply #9 on: 28.08.2014, 12:19:36 »

Experienced this in a Wing 2 lift once: there were two of us in it, and it stopped at floor 3 and wouldn't want to close the doors and go further.  I assumed it's a weight sensor issue, and it was, a gentle nudge to the floor made it lock the doors and continue travel.

Just out of curiosity: Did you try to press the close-door button first before you took to the “gentle-nudge” strategy?

Of course. It closed, didn't move, reopened the doors, first automatically, then again on a button press.  
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

DarkFoxDK

• DarkFoxDK
« Reply #10 on: 28.08.2014, 22:59:19 »

Somehow floor 3 in Wing 2 seems to be the deadzone for these elevators. the one on the right stopped there, the one on the left also. and when you say that nearly another one stopped there it sounds to me a bit fishy.

It seemed like specifically the right-hand elevator had an issue on floor 3. I found that a gentle push on the door, just after it closed, helped it "move on".

meo

« Reply #11 on: 29.08.2014, 09:59:38 »

I would have loved to talk with the elevator repairguy about these problems to get his insights. As far as i know these Elevators (by the firm Kone) didn't work by lightsensors in the door but by push ones. The Problem is that these didn't work quite well, to open a door by running nearly into it didn't stop the door, but a gently touch to the black sensor bar does.

As you can see Kone itself suggest to use the open door button when entering the lift.

Closing the door all the way seems to be a bit buggy (at least in floor 3) so please tell Conops, Security or Registration (at very last the repairguy himself) when that happens to say this guy he should do an on top drive to check the sensors. Most of the repairguys didn't want to do that because it is very dangerous but it is the only way to check the doorsensors at these models (if my files are right) and fix that problem. Anyway he should also check every time the doorsensors too.

Please don't ignore ANY bad behavior from the lift, even a squeak can be a sign that something nearly ends his life and while Lifts are extremely safe (way more safety mechanics as in a normal car) there are safetyprotocols inside the electronic that when something gives out an error (even if the cabine could go anyway) it stops and you have to use another one or the stairs. Note everything, make a list if you want but please tell someone.

A broken Lift is something that resultate in a lot of anger as you can see.

Druon

« Reply #12 on: 29.08.2014, 13:01:21 »

As you can see Kone itself suggest to use the open door button when entering the lift.

I've never heard of a company suggesting otherwise, due to potential liability. A button usually can't hurt you if it malfunctions, a door however, can. That being said, I found the door sensors to be responsive within the range I expect from a usual lift.

My friends did run into the lift technician once and found him thoroughly testing a just fixed lift by running it all the way up and down, checking the doors on each floor. I doubt he needs us to tell him how to do his job. I think the Estrel just didn't expect that such a technician would pretty much be needed to be present for on-call duty within the hotel 24/7 - something the Maritim had to learn the hard way, too.

Please don't ignore ANY bad behavior from the lift, even a squeak can be a sign [...] Note everything, make a list if you want but please tell someone.

So what percentage of attendees do have the skills and knowledge to tell what squeaks are perfectly normal and what is a sign of a potential problem? And how do you expect ConOps, Security or reception staff to weed out information about suspicious sounds, because they also don't necessarily know about the qualifications of the one reporting? Don't get me wrong, I am all for reporting obvious issues, like a door opening several times at one floor for no apparent reason. But beyond that the majority of us hardly are qualified to read into things. And neither should we run around during a convention with a list to keep monitoring the lifts. That is the job for the hotel staff. And I am positive they will be better prepared next year to keep those lifts running - at the very least by having the necessary personal at hand right away to cut down maintenance/repair time.

Tinka

• come join the furryside - we have cookies ^^'/
    • Tinkafur at FA
« Reply #13 on: 30.08.2014, 16:02:24 »

I can see Anthrocon/EF growing a bit more and one day hiring a lift repair man just be on-site during the convention xP

Atkelar

• Fursuit Photoshooting
  • Fursuit Gameshow Lead / Fursuit Photoshoot Lead
    • LiveJournal page
« Reply #14 on: 30.08.2014, 16:32:52 »

I can see Anthrocon/EF growing a bit more and one day hiring a lift repair man just be on-site during the convention xP

During the last years at the Maritim, the hotel had exactly that. Repair man on site during the entire con. At least that's the story I keep hearing :)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up