Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Borrowing a fursuit for EF?  (Read 9634 times)

Quincy the Raccoon

• I'm a raccoon... searching for yo trashies!
Borrowing a fursuit for EF?
« on: 12.12.2014, 21:28:37 »

Would you borrow a fursuit to another fur at EF? And would you agree to that or not? (Say, you have two suits...)
Ringtailed bandit, that's what I am :3

VulpesRex

Re: Borrowing a fursuit for EF?
« Reply #1 on: 14.12.2014, 22:18:10 »

Would you borrow a fursuit to another fur at EF? And would you agree to that or not? (Say, you have two suits...)

What is the point of your question - did you wish to borrow a suit, or are you just trying to determine if asking is appropriate?

There is no harm in asking; but I think that you would have few takers, unless you knew the suit owners knew you quite well, and they were sure that the suit would fit in all ways - not just physically, but in-character, as well.

Besides the normal issues regarding wearing someone else's clothing, there is the fact that when donning a suit, you essentially become that suit.  If it is a suit that people have seen before and are familiar with the persona of the character, they will interact with it on that basis, and will likely not be aware (or accepting) of the fact that the guiding force of the character (that is, the person now wearing the suit) is completely different.
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Quincy the Raccoon

« Reply #2 on: 14.12.2014, 22:28:13 »

I'm just trying to determine if asking is appropriate :) Borrowing would be nice though... maybe for a few hours or so but not the length of the con  :-\

Fineas

• ConOps
« Reply #3 on: 15.12.2014, 09:59:35 »

In addition to VulpesRex. Because he nails it pretty much.

Consider lending a fursuit the same as lending a car.
I for instance do not trust people lightly with my stuff. However, I have 1 friend will lend my car anytime any day because I know him for so long and I know he has the same ethics I would want for someone that lends my stuff.
Most others I will flat out refuse even if the situation is 'dire'. I hope most people will relate that a car is easily damaged, is very expensive and hard to repair and replace and a lot of things that aren't even directly visible could get damaged because of a difference in customs or unknowingly because you do to know that car that well.

Depending on the suit they can be easily 2000+ euro up to 5000 euro. Which... makes it basically as expensive as a (cheap / second hand) car.
Mostly the same rules apply to, if you would damage the suit. A lot of things can NOT be easily repaired. Even if you would be able to find replacement parts, it would always be visible.
Their are 'wizards' out their that I know can do miracles with mere needle & treath, glue, a bit of nail poish. But fact is if you strive to be all you can be, it kind of stings to have a part that is not longer 'perfect'.

Bottom line (for me at least), asking is always fine. Be aware of these points and you might get no for an answer often.
Unless that person you ask is absolutely positive they trust you with, which is essentially a part of their being (I might even dare say, part of their soul) then I hope anyone that receives 'such honor' to take care with that responsibility.

</end>
Take care, have fun, enjoy.

Sithy

• The Daily Eurofurence
  • Hatsikidee!
« Reply #4 on: 15.12.2014, 11:44:11 »

I have multiple suits and I pretty much never lend them out. Only a handful of trusted friends have worn them and it's mostly for photoshoots where I have multiple suits from the same maker. I am not comfortable lending out my suits cause they were expensive and I have a certain 'character' I play. The trusted friends respect this and I'm happy to lend to them.

I am not offended though when people ask :) It's all in the -way- you ask though: "Hey, I am really curious about this maker's suits, can I have a closer look at yours? Can I try it on for a bit?" asked to a friend comes across a lot nicer than "Can I borrow that?" asked to someone you don't know. Asking in itself is not inappropriate I feel, just be mindful of the fact the answer is most likely "no" and don't take that personal ^^
Registration & Social Media staff

Tioh

• Pawpet Show
    • Tioh.de
« Reply #5 on: 15.12.2014, 22:20:05 »

A good friend borrowed one of my fursuits at a convention (a suit that I did not wear anymore) - I would not lend one of my fursuits to a stranger.   

Quincy the Raccoon

« Reply #6 on: 15.12.2014, 22:22:46 »

Like the dutch saying goes: You have a NO, but it could turn into a YES. (Nee heb je, ja kan je krijgen)

Carbine

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #7 on: 16.12.2014, 03:10:33 »

I think VulpesRex makes a very strong point here.

It's not only the risk of someone potentially damaging your suit but that person's friends also won't know that it is a very different person inside. I think a handler would be almost mandatory to explain people that the suit is on loan. Another strong point is that the character might have a reputation. Basicly you are taking over the body of another person. If you act like a bag of sand while normally the character is very outgoing and interactive this will put people off and might destroy the reputation of the character.

It doesn't hurt to ask but I think your options will be limited to friens that you know personally and that would trust you.
So far, so good... so what!
Carbine's FA

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #8 on: 16.12.2014, 14:12:22 »

I own three fursuits. I borrowed one to a friend for last EF - I'd rather see it around than have it sit in a box at home.
Since I am small and female, and he is average-sized and male, there wasn't much danger of confusing people.

The funniest part was to look trhough photo galleries after the con and see where "I" had been  :D.

But I agree about not giving my suit to a stranger. I need to trust the person and know they do not damage the suit.

Runo

• Pawpet Show
  • Manul (Pallas' Cat)
« Reply #9 on: 16.12.2014, 14:19:04 »

IMHO it's not only about damaging... there's also the thing about a suit being - physically - very close to the wearer. And even if you can (and hopefully do) wash the body, fore and hind paws, it's oftentimes much harder with the head. And at least I wouldn't want to wear a head again after someone with potentially less than ideal hygiene, etc, wore it, breathed in it, sweated in it... you get the picture  :-X

So I lend out my suits very rarely, and only when I'm pretty certain I won't wear them anymore myself ;)
Elämä on epävarmaa - syö jälkiruoka ensin!

LJ | Twitter | dA | FA | My Suits

Sithy

• The Daily Eurofurence
  • Hatsikidee!
« Reply #10 on: 16.12.2014, 14:51:40 »

That is another good point. I only lend out suits with washable heads (Jillcostumes) Not because I am grossed out by my friends, but you know, there is such a thing as sharing too much :D
Registration & Social Media staff

Quincy the Raccoon

« Reply #11 on: 24.01.2015, 21:14:22 »

That is another good point. I only lend out suits with washable heads (Jillcostumes) Not because I am grossed out by my friends, but you know, there is such a thing as sharing too much :D
Sharing is caring, right?
Pages: [1]   Go Up