The Eurofurence Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 25 "Fractures in Time" - Estrel Hotel Berlin, August 14-18, 2019Follow eurofurence on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EF21 travel advice (January)  (Read 3224 times)

Schakaline

• ConStore & Sales
  • Not an actual Ancient Egyptian deity
EF21 travel advice (January)
« on: 21.01.2015, 00:46:12 »

Hi everybody!

Yes, it's early, but here's a few reminders for you, especially if you're going to EF the first time.

Next update will be May-ish, possibly earlier if anything major is announced.

Travel documents

We can't stress this often enough - visitors from outside the Schengen area need to be in possession of a valid form of government ID and, if neccessary, a visa.

It is a good idea to get these documents sorted out as early as possible, as applications for Schengen visa can often take weeks or even months to process, especially if you are living in one of the lesser advanced countries.

Please check the web site of the German Foreign Office to find out whether you need a visa for the Schengen area.

Remember to sort out your health insurance well in advance too - visitors from the EU should get a EHIC card from their national insurer, others should get private travel insurance to be on the safe side. A trip to the hospital, for whatever reason, can easily cost you thousands when not insured.

Roads

There currently are no major roadworks announced on the regional road network.

However, please note that near the A100 / A113 exit AD Grenzallee a diversion is in place until Summer 2017 due to the construction of the new A100 tunnel.

Also, there currently is some heavy construction going on south of the hotel, where the new A100 exit Sonnenallee is being built. Sonnenallee is currently diverted because of that, but should remain open for the foreseeable future.

Rail

Domestic and international train tickets will be available from 92 days prior to the date of travel, i.e. mid-May (120 days for Eurostar journeys). A separate announcement will be made at the appropriate time.

There is a fair amount of planned construction ahead for 2015, albeit nothing major during the time window of EF so far.

Ostkreuz station is still under reconstruction and there might be some platform changes. However, the platforms that are in use now all have lifts and escalators, so the situation will be less dire than in 2014.

Please note that there might be short-term changes in the summer timetable, as planned construction may overshoot or short-term repairs may become neccessary. Keep an eye on the updates.

Air travel

« Last Edit: 16.05.2015, 23:52:15 by doco »
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

meeko

• Victor Meldrew stunt-double
Re: EF21 travel advice
« Reply #1 on: 26.01.2015, 20:47:45 »

Can I ask a question about travel insurance and EHIC cards?

We have packaged bank accounts that offer basic travel insurance but not for pre-existing conditions. My partner has a medical condition that MAY require hospital treatment in an emergency.

So my thoughts are: How does the EHIC help us in Germany? Do we get free emergency help in a public hospital?
« Last Edit: 26.01.2015, 20:52:31 by meeko »

karpour

• Charity
  • Roo!
    • ohnitsch
« Reply #2 on: 26.01.2015, 21:16:02 »

I see you're helpful as usual to the significant amount of people who will arrive by plane.

o'wolf

• Pawpeteer
  • Community Communications
    • Wölfisch
« Reply #3 on: 26.01.2015, 22:58:48 »

So my thoughts are: How does the EHIC help us in Germany? Do we get free emergency help in a public hospital?

If I understand the EHIC rules correctly you should be covered, but please check directly with your insurer for an official statement.
Is it that things really change? Or does the outside rearrange?
Is perception genuine? Or does truth lie deep beneath the skin?
— Heather Alexander, Blood and Passion

Schakaline

• ConStore & Sales
« Reply #4 on: 26.01.2015, 23:47:24 »

For that, it's probably the best if you consult your local flavour of the NHS, depending on which nation of the UK you live in.
I will accept other opinions as long as you all accept that those opinions are wrong.

Schakaline

• ConStore & Sales
« Reply #5 on: 26.01.2015, 23:50:44 »

I see you're helpful as usual to the significant amount of people who will arrive by plane.

sarcasm (countable and uncountable, plural sarcasms)

• (uncountable) A sharp form of humor, intended to hurt, that is marked by mocking with irony, sometimes conveyed in speech with vocal over-emphasis. Insincerely saying something which is the opposite of one's intended meaning, often to emphasize how unbelievable or unlikely it sounds if taken literally, thereby illustrating the obvious nature of one's intended meaning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up