The Eurofurence Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 25 "Fractures in Time" - Estrel Hotel Berlin, August 14-18, 2019Follow eurofurence on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flights from the US  (Read 4405 times)

Recherei

Flights from the US
« on: 26.01.2015, 06:25:30 »

Come on now, oil has dropped to its lowest price per barrel in a decade.  As has apparently the Euro.  Why can't I get a non-stop flight to Berlin for less than 1,000 US?  (I don't want to change planes in Moscow.)

VulpesRex

Re: Flights from the US
« Reply #1 on: 26.01.2015, 09:44:36 »

Where you start your journey from, and the day of the week, can make for a big difference in cost and availability (also: was that quoted fare one-way, or round trip?).

As far as I know, there are still "issues" with Willi Brandt International, and Tegel is running at over-capacity.  It may be cheaper for you to fly into Frankfurt-am-Main (FRA), and take a local in-country flight, or take part of your trip via train (the Friendly and Reliable DB).  Alternatively, flying into London-Heathrow and then into Berlin; or into Hannover or Leipzig and then continuing on by train, might work out cheaper.

My last two trips were from Sacramento, California; they involved connections through Phoenix, Arizona, Philadelphia, PA, and then...Munich.  I continued on by train in 2013 to Regensburg, and caught a ride with a very friendly local fur (and got the bonus of a walking tour of Regensburg) to Magdeburg.  This past year, I flew into Munich and travelled that afternoon via train to Nuremburg, where I spent a couple of days, and then on Tuesday continued on (via DB again) into Sudkreuz station, and then transferred to the S-train for the 4-stop trip to the Sonnenallee station for a one-block walk to the Estrel.

...For some reason, I couldn't get a flight back to the USA from Munich; I had to depart from FRA (How could US Airways fly into Munich, but not out of Munich?  I have this mental image of a heap of Aribus aircraft sitting past the Munich runway threshold, used to fly in, and then disposed of)...
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Carbine

• The Daily Eurofurence
« Reply #2 on: 27.01.2015, 02:51:14 »

Wait a couple of more months before you book your flight. I always book my flights three to four months in advance, more flights become available in that timeframe so the price is usually lower. Like VulpesRex says, Berlin's main international airport is still under construction so you might want to look into flying for a different airport first. Amsterdam usually has a lot of direct flights from and to the US, you can take a direct train or a connecting flight to Berlin from there. I always fly directly to Philadelphia or Newark from Amsterdam when I have to go to the US, the last 4 years it has cost me between 600-800 dollars for a ticket.
So far, so good... so what!
Carbine's FA

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #3 on: 28.01.2015, 13:14:24 »

I'll be travelling to Chicago soon, and tried several different options for the flight route. To America, I'll fly via Frankfurt, and back home via Munich. For some reason, that was cheaper.
I also saved 80$ by flying home half a day later than I had planned. Same route, same airline, different price. I don't see the logic, but I'm okay with spending another night in Chicago.
Another cheaper option would have been a flight from Chicago to Leipzig via Istanbul, with a 20 hour stay there. Again, there's no logical reason why the longer route would be cheaper. In this case, I decided not to save that money, but rather get home faster with the slightly more expensive flight. But in case you don't care about the time, you could try and look at the prices for routes that are a bit weird.

Recherei

« Reply #4 on: 29.01.2015, 23:50:18 »

Air fares are as screwy as ever.  A one-way flight from JFK to Frankfurt on Lufthansa is around $2,300.   A round--trip flight on Lufthansa to Berlin is around $1,500.

Ralesk

« Reply #5 on: 30.01.2015, 11:39:50 »

Air fares are as screwy as ever.  A one-way flight from JFK to Frankfurt on Lufthansa is around $2,300.   A round--trip flight on Lufthansa to Berlin is around $1,500.

I think the rule is something like: Never look at one-way flights, ever.

Really though, just stick with round trips and you'll be good.
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

Recherei

Ralesk

German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

Recherei

« Reply #8 on: 07.02.2015, 18:27:19 »

Just checked out the flight schedule.  http://wowair.us/media/shared-files/WOW-schedule-2015.pdf  Maybe I wanna fly on an airline with more than one plane.

SqueekyMoonkin

« Reply #9 on: 10.07.2015, 20:17:47 »

Where in the USA are you flying from? What airlines have you looked at? I know Delta has many international flights. I am in Utah and the best flight we could find was from UT to Paris and from Paris to Berlin. Mine and my husbands round trip tickets were 3600.00 USD(1800 each) after taxes and upgrading to more leg room for the flight from UT to Paris (10hr flight).

Also keep in mind that any time airfare goes down, if you have already made a ticket purchase and then bring this up to the airlines, they will normally credit you the difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up