Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Things to do in Berlin in August - Beer  (Read 10862 times)

Recherei

Things to do in Berlin in August - Beer
« on: 25.02.2015, 03:11:42 »

Quite disappointed to learn The International Berlin Beer Festival ends on 9 August 2015.  Oktoberfest isn't until 19 September 2015.  Have any provisions been made to satisfy the beer drinking furry as this dry period coincides with the convention?

Jorinda

• Press Relations
Re: Things to do in Berlin in August - Beer
« Reply #1 on: 25.02.2015, 12:54:49 »

Have any provisions been made to satisfy the beer drinking furry as this dry period coincides with the convention?
Well, we have german supermarkets.
The hotel beer garden and bar.
Probably several hundreds of bars and restaurants that serve beer in Berlin.
Small corner shops and gas stations that sell beer all night long.
A list of breweries in Berlin: https://www.vlb-berlin.org/berliner-brauereien

So... yeah, it's sad that the festival is so short, but I don't think there will be a lack of beer.

Fineas

• ConOps
« Reply #2 on: 25.02.2015, 13:33:18 »

I personally was a bit disappointed their wasn't a whole lot to do from the hotel in the Beergarten, especially at night.

Unless I was mistaking their bar closed fairly early, no music etc.
Call me a barbarian, because it's a '4 star hotel', but... I see money, lots of money.
If you go with the flow and could entertain people, they stick longer, drink and eat more.

Then again, it might not be the image they are aiming for. Normally the fine gents and ladies that come their probably drink 2 glasses of wine, take  scroll near the water and call it a night...
I silently hope they kind of steer in the same direction as the Magdenburg hotel and become more friendly toward convention goers when it comes to provided services.

kovu

• Fursuit Photoshooting
« Reply #3 on: 25.02.2015, 21:06:04 »

pierrot90

• ᵔᴥᵔ
    • Charity hike! Spendenlauf!
« Reply #4 on: 02.03.2015, 01:20:22 »

The bombed out trainstation in Friedrichshain (Revaler-Strasse 99) is a cool place to go out till deep in the night.
Also, the YAAM beach (An der Schillingbrücke) is a very nice place to hang out. They say they have genuine Jamaican beach sand!
Do note that after 2 AM there is no S-bahn service, starting again at about 4-5 AM. Buses drive around the clock though.

Other than that, Berlin is famous for its alternative scene, graffiti art, and great nightlife. Especially in these parts; Prenzlauer Berg, Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain.
Just keep in mind to steer clear from station Lichtenberg.

On another note, the abandoned American military base at the top of Teufelsberg is definitely worth a visit!
Follow my blog during my hike to EF for Wildtierhilfe Fiel!
https://fielberlin.wordpress.com/

VulpesRex

« Reply #5 on: 02.03.2015, 09:44:57 »

On another note, the abandoned American military base at the top of Teufelsberg is definitely worth a visit!

Wait - you can actually visit it?

Of course, since it was decommissioned, it's now private property - and (I thought) no access was allowed by the owners/developers.

And it is somewhat "degraded"; it does make for an appropriately "ghostly" ruin, though!

I'm sure that the view from up there on a good day with binoculars would be fantastic.

« Last Edit: 02.03.2015, 10:07:29 by VulpesRex »
Vulpine fortunes are precarious; people wish either to build monuments to us - or to hang us.

Loewi

• Accounting Director
  • Board of Directors
« Reply #6 on: 02.03.2015, 10:38:31 »

Wait - you can actually visit it?

http://berliner-teufelsberg.com/web/en/fuhrungen-und-preise/

Fineas

• ConOps
« Reply #7 on: 02.03.2015, 11:09:39 »

Cool. Kind of fits the theme, would be cool to do that with a whole lot of EF visitors.

Although it's not really around the corner. It's a 30 minute drive:
Google Maps route - Estrel to Teufelsberg
« Last Edit: 02.03.2015, 11:14:47 by Fineas »

Cheetor

« Reply #8 on: 02.03.2015, 22:54:22 »

wow, that base looks like a really cool place to fly my quadcopter... is that legal in Germany?

pierrot90

• ᵔᴥᵔ
    • Charity hike! Spendenlauf!
« Reply #9 on: 21.03.2015, 03:30:48 »

If you have a public transport ticket, you could walk there from S-bahn Heerstrasse.
Besides that, nearby there is also Drachenberg next to Teufelsberg, where a lot of Berliners play with kites or enjoy the panoramic view of Berlin. ;3  (don't forget your binoculars!)

The entrance of the military complex is at the main gate, so don't climb (or cut) your way through the triple fences around the complex. A former American soldier who has worked there will be your tour guide, speaking German & English.
In any way, it is quite a climb up. And you might want to take a bottle of water and some anti-mosquito spray with you. Also, take a flashlight with you; not very necessary, but some parts of the complex has no light.
Follow my blog during my hike to EF for Wildtierhilfe Fiel!
https://fielberlin.wordpress.com/

Jorinda

• Press Relations
« Reply #10 on: 23.03.2015, 09:52:59 »

wow, that base looks like a really cool place to fly my quadcopter... is that legal in Germany?
In Berlin it is not, as far as I know. But you could just ask the people at http://berliner-teufelsberg.com/web/en/kontakt/ about specific rules for this area.
Pages: [1]   Go Up