Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Polyglot Corner. Or simply, a meetup of language enthusiasts.  (Read 47048 times)

OmniSable

• MUSTELID! 83

I was thinking about making a simple even where we can just come and talk about languages and how to learn them.

Like, we just discuss the interesting facts about each other's languages, give tips to learners on how we learned languages and what the efficient ways of learning them are, etc. It's not gonna be a lecture or whatever - just a discussion room with a blackboard/whiteboard/flipchart/whatever.

What do you think?
Enjoy the moment, yet keep going.

https://twitter.com/OmniSable

Ralesk

This is right up my alley :3

I speak Hungarian and English; and to lesser extent German and Dutch.  I'm very rusty about technical terms in linguistics though...
German phone number: +49 176 3961 9927
Telegram: @ralesk Twitter: @ralesk82 Skype: ralesk

Fineas

• ConOps

Sounds cool.

My primairy language is: Dutch
And I speak German and English

I would be interested in such an event to see if I can improve learning non-native languages.

OmniSable

• MUSTELID! 83

Just to clarify. I call it "Polyglot Corner" just for fanciness. You don't have to speak a gazillion of languages to come. Even if you speak one, come nevertheless, this event might be useful for your studies of a foreign language. Even if you still don't know what language to pick for learning, - EF is very multinational, and it is probable that this event will be attended by people speaking many languages. So, collecting trivia will ease your choice. 8)

Ah, it's nice to see that you're interested! I guess I'll try to let Akula know and register the event.

I myself speak Russian, English, Spanish (on an awkward level, IMHO) and trying to learn German (a total beginner right now).
« Last Edit: 08.05.2015, 13:05:03 by OmniSable »

Sithy

• The Daily Eurofurence
  • Hatsikidee!

Ooh yes if I have time I'd love to drop by for this! I speak Dutch, English, German and French and I'd love to improve my Russian :)

I don't have much to offer in terms of entertainment though I could bring my Egyptian/Hieroglyph books and write (draw) some phrases xD I also love sci-fi so would talk about that!
Registration & Social Media staff

OmniSable

• MUSTELID! 83

Heheh, yeah, I remember, Sithy, that you're a polyglot. Your presence will be very useful! 8)

Kanrei

I would be interested too, if I find the time to come. My native language is German, I can speak English and learn at the moment Japanese, French, Korean and Finnish. With Japanese and French, I’m at a intermediate level, I can read children books. I can speak a little bit Japanese, but I’m not really good at French. Korean is  Beginner and Finnish too.

KyuubiSaoirse

• Rawr!
    • My fA

Ooh! I might drop by, too. :)

My native language is Danish, though I speak English fluently, too. Then I speak decent German (at least the Germans tend to understand me), and I can say/understand just a couple sentences in Finnish, Italian and Japanese...

KitzKatz

It would be definitely interesting. My native language is Spanish. I can also speak English and am currently learning German and Japanese: the former at an intermediate level, I am afraid (very hard language...); and as for Japanese I am still beginning with it.

Sometimes I read children's books and comics in German (specially animal ones: Fix und Foxi, Janosch and the like). The same goes for Japanese :)

OmniSable

• MUSTELID! 83

Allright, the event is confirmed! Unless I don't make it to EF for some reason, it will happen!  :D

And wow, so nice to see so many people interested in this!  ;D

Sithy

• The Daily Eurofurence
  • Hatsikidee!

Woopwoop, providing there's no schedule clash, I'll be attending this!
Registration & Social Media staff

MrEvers

• The dandy Belgian fox
    • FurryFandom.be

Might be interesting, I speak Dutch and English, a bit of French, 5 words of German and some Finnish swear words.
I'm also a beginner in HTML 5, CSS 3 and PHP.  :P
FurryFandom.be

Fineas

• ConOps

I'm also a beginner in HTML 5, CSS 3 and PHP.  :P

I was compelled to make that joke, but as a (general purpose) programmer my list would grow rather ridiculous :-p

OmniSable

• MUSTELID! 83

Since a major part of furries works in programming professionally, programming languages are to be put into a separate event 8p

(not scheduled by me because I'm an enthusiast programmer).
« Last Edit: 31.05.2015, 13:18:00 by OmniSable »

Reshi

I'll have to see if I can drop by ! My native language is Finnish bug I speak pretty good English and understand Swedish but I can't speak it haha... I was learning Esperanto for fun at one point and can say some phrases. I want to start studying Japanese at sometime soon (Swedish too as I want to learn how to speak it properly)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up