Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Eurofurence 28 — "Cyberpunk"
Sep 18 – 21, 2024
CCH — Congress Center Hamburg

EF-Notifications

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting it wrong: the "what species is this fur?" guessing game  (Read 27556 times)

Fineas

• ConOps

Sounds like you ran into Knibblez :D?

Ah could be :-3

*Looks on the internet*
Oh the irony:
http://lozbunneh.deviantart.com/art/Knibblez-478456232

Check that artist name >.<

Grael Dragon

Just call everything a kitty and say they are "The prettiest kitty".  ;)

Cookie

My Koala fursuit is called a "panda" constantly... or offered bamboo..

Got called a mouse (without a tail?) or even a cat sometimes...

But i friggin' LOOK like a darn KOALA.

Sometimes i think i should wear a sign around my neck saying "i am NOT a panda"
"He's nice your uh ... uh.. squirrel?" said a guy talking about my ... ferret !

Remix

I'm an angel dragon suiter and I do get that hybrids, not well known species or plain made up species like Sergals and in my case angel dragons are hard to guess for the public. I've been called practically everything already XD

Here a short list of names I've heard when suiting outside, events, meets or cons ^^

- Dinosaur
- Rabbit
- Goat
- Cow
- Dog
- Cat
- Hamster
- Rabbit
- Pokemon
- Pikachu (technically a pokemon but it was specifically Pikachu that was named)
- Bird
- Bat
- Squirl
- Sugar glider
- Horse
- Rhino

I am happy when people already recognise me as a dragon and I find it kinda amusing when I hear people come up with things like rhino X3
People will however get a happy dance from me when they actually call me Angel Dragon haha ^^

Fineas

• ConOps

Wow... I'm tempted to say some people just... say the first thing that pops in to their head instead of actually trying to make a relation toward something they recognize.

Half of those do not make a lot of sense, but they kind of do if I see some of these meme's floating around.

Like this one, specifically for Pokemon:

It's like... Some people are more prone to say 'anything' then to ask. I guess they think it's rude that you ask someone 'what they are supposed to be'.
But I'm prone to think just blurting a word out instead is a bit more... disappointing.

VickyVixen

I just found that fursuit Fineas was talking about.
And I'm still thinking to myself: Huh... bunny? Is it the teeth?
It's not the ears, that's fur sure.

Fineas

• ConOps

*Head shakes* no sorry.
The one I encountered was fire engine red.

I know I said earlier that it might have been the one on the drawing, but now I see this fursuit I'm pretty sure it was another fursuiter.
« Last Edit: 06.08.2015, 19:49:39 by Fineas »

Cookie

Ghostbear

• high-maintenance
    • FA

Fineas, your calling out of species (which is very adorable by the way :3 ) reminds me of a certain webcomic.  :D
http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00009.htm

Carenath

• Convention Security Operative

I still have occasional trouble identifying the right species from a furs artwork much less their suit. As suits go, there is one maker that uses an identical head design for almost all theirs that I have seen, there were several canids with the same design of suit at EF and I couldn't tell if fox/wolf/fennec - you might know the one, has black s-curve marks on the muzzle.

Dragons are also a bit easier to spot, horns and usually wings are quite recognisable. Still there was a yoshi-ish suiter (blue and white with red spikes) that I am sure is not a dragon.
Die Gedanken sind frei. Ausnahme regelt ein Bundesgesetz

Fafnir Kristensen

one of my friend and I went skiing, him with his partial dragon suite, and I will always remember the kid who said "look, ma, a cow!" ;)

also, the same friend, not suiting, but this time with another well known dragon suiter, went to a medieval fair and got from an old lady "hey look, it's Goldorak!" (french name of the giant robot Grendizer) ;))

Atkelar

• Fursuit Photoshooting
  • Fursuit Gameshow Lead / Fursuit Photoshoot Lead
    • LiveJournal page

Let's face it: with the "exotic" markings and species mixtures that some fursuits have, it is sometimes very hard to get it right... even as an experienced and seasoned fur. There's just too much artistic freedom going around with some of the recent creations. Also, some specialized species based on games or anime series are not well known enough to be recognized by "the general public".

Add that to the fact that most people couldn't identify an animal in real life and you know why there's an abundance of wrong identifications. Eddie McBadger (who I spot for occasionally) keeps getting identified as a skunk typically, although he got all the typical traits right in the suit and no "hybrid" additions. People go with what they know: Black/white stripes > Skunk.

Bottom line: if it is important for the fursuiter to be correctly identified, a badge "Hi! I'm a _____" would be needed; otherwise there's always going to be some sort of confusion and while I undestand that that can be frustrating, I can't see a way around it.

Cookie

This year it seemed that most of the people thought that my boyfriend's pony fursuit was... a cow.

LOLOL....

Ragear

• Pawpet Show
  • Ragear the Lion

last time, fursuiting at the Zoo: "look Dad, a bear" ... as a compensation I ate that kid, tasted like chicken ... justice served. :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up